respect: given or deserved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• respect: given or deserved

what do you guys think, should respect be given or earned, deserved.
    everytime someone say give me some respect, i say don't you have to deserve it first?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Originally posted by omon View Post
    everytime someone say give me some respect, i say don't you have to deserve it first?
    While respect to everyone is automatic for me as a given, the degree of that respect varies with who the person is and how close I want to include them inside my circle.
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Treat everybody the way you would like to be treated. To use an old quote, "Good manners are considered the finest lubricant for social intercourse".
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Personally I treat people in a polite way and then gauge what kind of person they are depending on their reactions and such. Then, if I like them, I allow them into my circle and give them respect as earned. Really, everyone is given a small amount of respect with me and whether or not someone choose to build upon that respect or decrease it is up to them, through their actions.

Comment

Respect is definatley earned, I mean in all cases I give people on first meeting "the benefit of the doubt" and respect them.....however maintaining that respect is upto the individual........................
          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

treat people as you like yourself like to be treated .... that is my motto

i always give full respect, but let the person to take that away by his and-or her own manners

Comment

People who deserve respect will probably never say "give me respect" in the first place.

And I agree with Tigger

Respect is definatley earned, I mean in all cases I give people on first meeting "the benefit of the doubt" and respect them.....however maintaining that respect is upto the individual........................

Comment

sensible question...
                respect must absouletely be deserved,it is not sth u can buy from the market.
                so it may be requested using the language of behaviour.
                moreover,anyway ppl who deserve respect dont ask for it.but there is a thin line btw being plain and unkind.this must not be forgotten.
                sigpicaction speaks louder than words

Comment

I myself give respect, to stranger's and people that I know on varying level's.

The old saying that familiarity breed's contempt, keep's coming to mind, when the respect question is put to some of the people that I have to interact with on a daily basis.

nough said.

Tony
                  Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Respect is definatley earned,when i speak 2 a Police Constable i wont calll them officer,because they have 2 earn respect before they are called that.They r Public Servents.

Comment

Depends on what one means by respect.

It could be esteem or to show consideration (like respect for one's individual space).

Sure, any normal individual should show consideration (respect) for others. However, for anyone deserving another's esteem, I reckon it would be fair to say that it must be earned!
                      Last edited by Ray; 25 Feb 07,, 14:56.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I respect every member of the forces,serving or ex.We all sign on the dotied line and do what we belive in,saw a program the other day about the 2nd world war,when on Christmas day the British and the German army put the guns down and played football.

Comment

Originally posted by baz0927 View Post
                          I respect every member of the forces,serving or ex.We all sign on the dotied line and do what we belive in,saw a program the other day about the 2nd world war,when on Christmas day the British and the German army put the guns down and played football.

You are thinking of the first world war. It happened in 1914.
                          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by baz0927 View Post

Feel free to have some ounce respect also for the engineers who build and design the weapons that give you the chance the make the other bastard die for his country, rather then having yourself die for your own nation. In fact, respect should be given to entire communities because their sacrifice, respect should be given to people who worked in the industry and those also contributed in their own small way.

Comment

Given, as a sign of compassion.
                              Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                              - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Working...
                              X