Force Structure of the USN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force Structure of the USN

The followinf is a partial copy of Tom S. post on warships1.

"Subject: Re: re USN 2015
    Posted By: taschoene - Registered User
    Posted At: (9/6/03 10:47 am)

I think a lot of your figures are way off the mark:

In terms of submarines, all 14 SSBNs current should still be in service in 2015. for SSNs, the Navy has said it needs as many as 68, but the actual building program leads to a force of closer to 55 boats. Also, you left out the 4 SSGNs.

The carrier force is unlikely to drop below 12 ships.

In terms of surface combatants, most of the figures are off and you're assumnig far too many new construcion ships. The full planned construction of DD(X) and LCS won't be done until well after 2015. CG(X) won't reach the fleet at all until after 2015. The figures I've seen (from the USN) are more like this:

22 Ticonderoga (CG-47)
    62 Arleigh Burke (DDG-51)
    11 Zumwalt (DD(X))
    5 O.H. Perry (FFG-7)
    24 LCS (2 Flight 0, 22 Flight 1)

The amphib force will remain at 12 groups (1 LHD, 1 LPD, 1 LSD), so your figures there are correct."

I of course have to disagree somewhat. I understand that 63 AB are programmed. I dont believe that 11 DDX will be built by then although its possible. If the LCS pans out I expect more by that date.

And finally he does have it close to right on the OHPs(first Ive seen that even comes near my assessment) although I think they may all be gone by 2015.

Wasn't Tico the name of a carrier in 'Nam?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

YES

Comment

Several of the CG-47 class Aegis cruisers have the names of World War II built Essex-class and Independence-class carriers. It's a shame in a way because I would love to see another carrier named Yorktown.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The USS Yorktown was the US Carrier sunk at Midway, right? I think it was discovered by the same dude who found the Titanic, along with the IJN Akagi or Soryu or something like that. Read it a while ago in NG.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Yep, USS Yorktown (CV-5) was sunk at Midway and a new Essex-class carrier (CV-10) was renamed in her honor. She's currently a Patriot's Point in Charleston South Carolina as a museum. Interestingly, she recovered the Apollo 8 crew after they had become the first men to travel to, but not land on, the moon.

Edit: Ballard or somebody? else was able to find a peice of the carrier Kaga. This link is very helpful http://www.combinedfleet.com/MidwayFind.htm
            Last edited by TopHatter; 08 Sep 03,, 16:46.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
            X