Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMRAAM engagement

What is AIM-120C range?
    Can AIM-120C engage ant-ship missiles such as Sunbrun, Granit, or Harpoon?

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
    What is AIM-120C range?
    Can AIM-120C engage ant-ship missiles such as Sunbrun, Granit, or Harpoon?
    The 120 has a range of approx 35-45 miles at a speed of Mach 4.
    The Sunburn travels a little over half that speed, therefore I would say that the 120 is physically capable of bringing a Sunburn down - but actual success would depend mostly on the targeting radar ... and what angle of attack the 120 would use...
    I wouldn't bet on the 120 scoring head on, but it might chase the Sunburn down from the rear or side and take it out.

Just guessing....

Comment

lemme add another question along with it Whats the range for R77..since these are the two comparable missiles in east and west.
      About the sunburn. There are two important factors that play somerole
      1. the radar cross section of the sunburn
      2. the electronics of the AMRAAM. a normal fighter can turn 9G while missiles like sunburn can turn much better and theres every possibility that the AMRAAM would not be able to guide itself on the sunburn as sunburn is more agile than wha5 aMRAAM avionis can handle unless of course if AMRASM is designed keeping in mind that it will be used against stuff like SUNBURN.

Comment

A missile has no idea WHEN to turn though....a plane does.

AMRAAM should be pretty good at vampire interception from a kinematics standpoint, but i don't know if it's ever been tested.

BTW, AMRAAM has about 30% longer range when fired from a supercruising F-22.

And just for the record, AMRAAM has a speed of Mach4 plus...

Comment

todays missiles are no more simple trajectories . i ant say about sunburns but esp new ruisie missiles have pretty agile tajectories and they do take steep turns in high SAM regions .U are right with the fact that they dont know whe to turn bec its prefeeded when to turn and they cant see ther amraam coming their way. I geuss pretty soon we will have the ones that can see AMRAAMS too can reacts.

Comment

R77 has range almost twice of AMRAAM, troubling

Comment

1. i havent foudn asingle link stating the range of AIM120C version. which is the latest one. The 50km is for basic 102A version.
              2. The original R77 range is suposed to be somethin like 50 km . Its the advanced version that has longer range .
              3. My logic goes like this .Americans who are investing so much compared to russian wont leave their missiles with half the range of Russian missiles as this makes sure that in an AA combat the russian plane with R77 will always take over an american plane with american missiles. and since the range of AIM120C is not available i guess it should be comparable to R77 latest version.

Comment

makes sense. this sounds very weak, however, in Novalogic's Mig-29 Fulcrum PC Simulator, the R77 has range, if I remember correctly of almost 75 km. The AMRAAAM, in Novalogic's F-22 Raptor PC Simulator, has a range of 25 miles.
                Are these numbers that Novalogic used realistic? Particularly for the AMRAAM?

Comment

they surely will be but the point is which version they took for reference to get teh values.
                  Another thing due to raptors supercruise capability since most of the missiles it will fire will be at say mach 1.5 or something which increases the range of AMRAAM by 20%-30% or so( i dnt remember the exact figure) .
                  Theres AIM120D being developed with a longer range.
                  About R77 in the discussions on MKI vs F15 people raised doubts over effectiveness of R77 since its belived that R77 original versions not good in navigation control and thus were real bad in performance .Though its belived taht the newer versions donot have these issues.
                  Also theres another versionn of R77 ( PD or somethin) being developed in Russia and might be up for sale too.
                  I ahvent found any reference about which version of R77 does China has.
                  About the 172 somthin u mentioned i found a reference on indodefence.com its KS172 a awac killer missile under development seen as a potential Jv beetween india and russia afte r the success of brahmos.
                  link is here http://www.indiadefence.com/collab.htm

It has a range of 400km and targetted against awacs. but not inservie anywhere yet. Again if india is participating then i dount chineese will get it.and yes the chineese fighters (except MKK3 which will be developed after MKK supplies finish and mkk2 too) will be able to ustilize the range of this missile to a considerable extent. Even with a missile of this kind the chineese fighters which will see AWACs at say 150km-200 km (or somthing) ( not even track) will be already seen and tracked by Japaneese awacs at ragnes like 400km adn the F16/F15 will be sent to target them. it will be next to impossibel for chinese fighters to reach awcs unless they take out all /most of the japaneese fighters first.

Comment

see what you mean

Comment

I asked around the office (Raytheon) and all I could get was that the range of the 120C was "significantly more" than the "A". Basically I got more info off the internet than from the actual people who would know.

Comment

"R77 has range almost twice of AMRAAM, troubling"

Not really. ECM, superior western radar, and LO tend to negate that edge to negligibility.

Comment

"I asked around the office (Raytheon) and all I could get was that the range of the 120C was "significantly more" than the "A". Basically I got more info off the internet than from the actual people who would know."

As it should be. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                            "R77 has range almost twice of AMRAAM, troubling"

Not really. ECM, superior western radar, and LO tend to negate that edge to negligibility.
                            k. lets take a SU30MKI then its radar is comparable to AESA in USAFF15( though its debatable what radar US used in cope india exercises still it must be the best of US radars.. MK's detected F15 at the same time F15 detected them and i m talking about MKI which is way ahead of MK version.:D) with its Israeli & french avionics and ECM.(LO can be neglected as both see each other at same time) how much chance do u think western fighters will stand aginst MKI with R77???

Comment

exactly

Comment

Working...
                              X