PDA

View Full Version : 1st WAB Modelers Contest

Ironduke
18 Feb 07,, 21:51
1st WAB Modelers Contest

Dear Members,

I am hereby announcing the launch of the 1st WAB Modeler's Contest.

Members have one week to submit up to five photos of the modeling work they wish to be put to a vote among the WAB membership. As the contest is open to all, anybody can submit photos of their model. Any prior submitted work in the Modeler's Corner can be submitted for the contest, but it must be submitted in this thread.

To verify that the work is your own, we ask that one photo include your username written next to your modeling work, unless you have already posted it before in the Modeler's Corner.

After a week of submissions, the submission thread will be closed.

A voting thread will then be opened, and all members will be given an opportunity to vote for what they consider the best model over the course of a week.

The modeler whose modeling work gets the most votes will be awarded a tin of Royal Dansk butter cookies, to be mailed via USPS.

In the future, we plan to have more specific modeling contests (e.g. WWII planes, tanks, ships, etc.) The first modeling contest will be open to all types of work. This contest will set the stage for future contests, which I hope to have on a monthly basis.

Regards, Matt

Elbmek
18 Feb 07,, 22:19
Oh I wish I had kept that Cutty Sark model, or that Bismarck one I built years ago, or all those tanks!!

I have a great U Boat model, still in its box! One day, one day!

Ironduke
18 Feb 07,, 22:22
Oh I wish I had kept that Cutty Sark model, or that Bismarck one I built years ago, or all those tanks!!

I have a great U Boat model, still in its box! One day, one day!
If you took pictures, you can submit them here. :)

After this contest, the plan is for monthly, themed contests. Work submitted here for the 1st Modelers Contest can be resubmitted in the future themed contests. This one, anything goes. :)

temujin77
19 Feb 07,, 02:52
May I submit an entry for someone else?
WW2DB: [Photo] Building a model of the Tirpitz on board the Tirpitz (http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=1895)

Just kidding! But this contest is a great idea. I can't wait to see some of the real entries.

texasjohn
19 Feb 07,, 05:08
personally, I think Nord would win this one Hands Down!!

But there is my rendition of the Tirpitz!!

RustyBattleship
19 Feb 07,, 06:49
I collect the Milwaukee Road in HO scale. I prefer trains of designs before 1950 and really like doing WW II freight trains. This is a picture of three flat cars (2 are MILW cars) carrying the 3 versions of M-3 Lee/Grant tanks. I made them out of pot metal kits made up in Washington state and painted them in Afrika tan as if they are to be shipped to El Alamein. The kits were highly accurate as you could get them with cast hulls, riveted hulls, American turrets or British turrets. Just couldn't resist them.

Ironduke
19 Feb 07,, 09:36
So far it's a two-horse race... RustyBattleship and TexasJohn. :)

texasjohn
19 Feb 07,, 17:32
Here then are pics of my F-14 ( built 20 years ago), rebuilt recently..

texasjohn
19 Feb 07,, 17:33
Cockpit close-up

Ironduke
19 Feb 07,, 19:02
Texasjohn,

Only one work can be submitted to be judged by the membership for the award. You can submit other works in future contests :)

leib10
19 Feb 07,, 19:04
How bout a German helmet? I took an old, beat-up original shell and came out with this:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5220/germanhelmetbn3.th.jpg (http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=germanhelmetbn3.jpg)

Ironduke
19 Feb 07,, 19:14
Heh, should of made a few things more clear.

Five photos of one piece of scale modeling work can be submitted.

The helmet is ineligible, it would be classed as a replica, I believe.

dalem
19 Feb 07,, 20:01
Is a diorama eligible or should I just stick to a single model?

-dale

T_igger_cs_30
19 Feb 07,, 20:05
I dont make models :frown: But I sure am going to enjoy this thread I can see :)

Ironduke
19 Feb 07,, 20:09

Just a single model. We'll do diorama in a future contest.

RustyBattleship
20 Feb 07,, 00:43
Here's a 1:32 scale model of an M-41 Walker bulldog I built up. It is basically from one of the original kits that showed a painting of the tank on a blueprint floor (I think that was Renwall).

I also had a 1:24 model but didn't like it because the barrel was at a fixed elevation and some of the attachment items were too small.

Anyway, this is the 2nd one I have built as the first one got "played" with a little too hard. But I found problems with the accuracy of the model. I didn't do any corrections to the engine compartment because most people wouldn't see that the real tank had 4 batteries instead of 1.

But the blast deflector was all wrong, at least for the standard issue Walker I drove. The kit used a prototype blast deflector so I took two solid cylinders of plastic from a 1:24 model, drilled and glued them to look like the real thing.

Then the pioneer kit was way too small so I scrounged that off the 1:24 model and put it on the left fender (though it should have been the right fender). What they used for tarpaulin packs were merely little slabs of plastic. I glued two of them together to make the ammo box for the M-2 machine gun. I used the tarp packs and off the 1:24 model and their proportion on the 1:32 was amazingly close.

The M-41 (real one) had two machine gun mounts on top but we only mounted one gun for the TC. The other mount was actually for a spotlight. So a friend gave me a Navy signal light that was just the right size.

Now I had something that looked like a miniature of a real tank instead of a toy copy of a tank.

leib10
20 Feb 07,, 01:07

Sorry, my bad.

romail
20 Feb 07,, 15:36
Motive Power - Steam
1)NP 2-6-6-2 #3100
2)L&N USRA 0-8-0

Motive Power - Diesel
3)PRR F3 A&B Units
4)RS-3 #4045
5)SP U30C # 7932

This is Done.:biggrin:

MR ROMAIL
308,AA,D.H.A,LAHORE,54000.PAKISTAN

texasjohn
20 Feb 07,, 18:52
Texasjohn,

Only one work can be submitted to be judged by the membership for the award. You can submit other works in future contests :)

Sir, allow me to withdraw the Tirpitz! Should I delete the post?

RustyBattleship
20 Feb 07,, 20:13
Texasjohn,

I missed the meaning of that. I thought it meant one work per entry. If you mean only one work per entrant, then withdraw the M-3 tanks on the Railroad Cars. My entry then will by my M-41 tank as it was a result of cannibalization of other models for accuracy and really sparking my inventiveness (like the MG ammo box). No, the blast deflector on the muzzle is not bent but a lens distortion.

Ironduke
20 Feb 07,, 21:13
Current Entries:

RustyBattleship: M41 Tank
TexasJohn: F-14
Romail: Military Steam Locomotive

One thing I would like to remind all members... if you have submitted your modeling work in The Modeler's Corner in the past, you can re-submit it for this contest. (ex Dale's P-47)

MarquezRazor
21 Feb 07,, 14:09
Wild Card entry.

Close support and ground attack aircraft designed from imagination quite a while back.

Ironduke
21 Feb 07,, 18:42
4th entry:

MarquezRazor: Self-designed close support and ground attack aircraft

romail
21 Feb 07,, 18:43
Well Dear,

if u are saying only one model is allowed then just take my first attachment model as participant in the contest .

Thanking you,
MR ROMAIL ,PK:cool:

RustyBattleship
21 Feb 07,, 20:08
Well Dear,

if u are saying only one model is allowed then just take my first attachment model as participant in the contest .

Thanking you,
MR ROMAIL ,PK:cool:

I was wondering about that, but being a train collector myself I didn't want to say anything. That 4-6-6-2 is an ideal entry (though the 0-8-0 isn't bad either).

What scale are they in? The porportion of the 2-rail track in the first photo looks like it might be American Flyer O scale but I thought complex steam locos like that only came in HO scale.

bull
22 Feb 07,, 11:18
1st WAB Modelers Contest

For a moment i thought we had to paste our own "model photos", that was scary.

romail
22 Feb 07,, 18:33
Thanks for taking interest in Steam Motive diesel engines:cool:

romail
22 Feb 07,, 18:54
An Old English Said:
If you have money you got the honey
No Money No Honey ;)

RustyBattleship
22 Feb 07,, 20:27
For a moment i thought we had to paste our own "model photos", that was scary.

You mean you don't have a personal model to photograph like this one of mine? Actually the photo is about 5 years old (she will be 27 in April - and still not married) and is the daughter of one of my best friends. I just wish she was smiling when this candid photo was taken of her in Hawaii.

Ironduke
22 Feb 07,, 23:34
I don't think Julie would approve ;)

texasjohn
23 Feb 07,, 02:10
I don't think Julie would approve ;)

I think Julie would love it! She has just completed a course in "enlightened moderation"!!:biggrin:

RustyBattleship
23 Feb 07,, 05:12
I think Julie would love it! She has just completed a course in "enlightened moderation"!!:biggrin:

My wife Julia (not Julie) already loves this girl. We've known her since she was about 12 years old and has grown to be a gorgeous young lady. She was even a bridesmaid at our daughter's wedding in December.

But the numbers of pairing up the groomsmen to the bridesmaids led to a Mutt and Jeff situation. The groom's youngest brother (about 5-8) was teamed up with Jenee who is 6-foot even in her stocking feet.

Oh, don't ask for her phone number. She already has a steady gentleman friend who is 6-4.

NOW, CAN WE GET BACK ON SUBJECT AND HAVE SOMEBODY SUBMIT SOME PICS OF MODEL TRAINS, PLANES, AUTOMOBILES AND TANKS? I for one would love to see some more.

Ironduke
23 Feb 07,, 10:23
Submission deadline is Sunday evening, 2359 GST :)

RustyBattleship
25 Feb 07,, 07:05
Jeeeez. I put up one picture of a beautiful blonde and everybody quits. The thread is models you have MADE. Being my best friend's daughter, I never --- oh, never mind.

I would have to be 40 years younger for that.

Ironduke
25 Feb 07,, 15:31
February is a trough month for internet activity... taxes, overtime, etc.

A note to everybody... the submission thread will be closed, and a vote thread will be opened around midnight GST. To vote, one must have registered and posted on the forum at the time when the contest was opened, otherwise the vote will be stricken.

Votes can be cast for a week, then the winner will be declared. :)

Rusty... is she from MN? ;)

Matt

RustyBattleship
25 Feb 07,, 18:26
Rusty... is she from MN? ;)

Matt

Southern California native. But her father is from Wisconsin.

Ironduke
25 Feb 07,, 19:10
Southern California native. But her father is from Wisconsin.
Not much of a difference ;)

MarquezRazor
25 Feb 07,, 19:54
Votes can be cast for a week, then the winner will be declared. :)

And in the midst of these great modelers I look forward to getting zero votes!:redface: :)