Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia

Where can I find good news sites and analysis on Russia? China watching is boring; it's a crap developing country with no modern culture, and the Western media has already mined China to dust.

Subscribe to Moscow Times. It is a free online thing and it is in English.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Though it is a bad sign I read The Exile, the lmentioned publication really hates the Moscow Times. However, if I subscribe to the Economist, why not the Moscow Times?

Comment

Inst, I would urge you not to make broad, derogatory comments. You are welcome to your opinions, but if you have specific criticisms you should articulate them.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

China lacks soft power. It has no memes that can attract the best and brightest from the first world to its civilization. There are few elites that pack up entirely and go to Chna for anything other than business. This is not an inherent flaw in the civilization, but a defect of its situation. In Hong Kong, people have always been too busy making money to think. In Taiwan, there is the identity crisis and the politics of secession. In China proper, the intellectual landscape has been scoured by Mao Zedong, and its redevelopment is both victim to the Chinese government, and the tendency to focus entirely on social problems unique to a developing nation. While this may be interesting to other denizens of developing nations, there is a lack of ingenous solutions, and is also of purely academic interest to Westerners.

Hard power? The PLA is a shambles, and is both organizationally and technologically inferior to almost every other nation in the region. Economically, per capita GDP is still inferior to that of, say, Mozambique, and the entire economy is about 1/5th the size of America's and the entire European Union, individually. Domestic corporations are stumbling overseas, and of the successful businesses, Lenovo had to import American managers.

This is the present state of the situation, and will not remain so forever. Perhaps in 20 to 40 years, things will change, things will improve. The interesting thing about China is that it is a non-Western country attempting to modernize. So far, no new methods or ideas have emerged, but when China finally stands up, a new voice will join the global chorus. But not today. So, let's watch Russia instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Inst View Post
            Where can I find good news sites and analysis on Russia?
            RIA Novosti
            RIA Novosti - Opinion & analysis
            Topol-M gallery:
            en.rian.ru

Comment

Where can I find good news sites and analysis on Russia? China watching is boring; it's a crap developing country with no modern culture, and the Western media has already mined China to dust.
              Sir, Leave China alone is exactly what we want.

Your comment about China presented your great modern culture well.
              Last edited by Zeng; 21 Feb 07,, 01:56.
              I am here for exchanging opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeng_xinren View Post
                Sir, Leave China alone is exactly what we want.

Your comment about China presented your great modern culture well.
                Zeng_xinren, hopefully you won't judge the United States by the rather uninformed comments of someone like that?
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  Zeng_xinren, hopefully you won't judge the United States by the rather uninformed comments of someone like that?
                  TopHatter,

Thanks. I was just joking with Inst.

I have been to America and I admire America, American people and American culture very much.
                  I am here for exchanging opinions.

Comment

So why are you making your complaints here instead of CDF?

Comment

I think China and Russia show great potential; China for growth and Russia for resurgence -- as an American I would like to see the Western system remain dominant.

Comment

I agree China has improve tremendously through this years and has the largest dollar reserves of over a trillion dollars- a big money indeed..With continued development, China would probably make its shape in world's affair..
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X