Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tory Leader Cameron defiant over drug claims

Cameron Speaks

Conservative leader David Cameron has refused to deny claims in a biography that he smoked cannabis while he was a pupil at Eton College 25 years ago.
    Mr Cameron, 40, admitted he had done things in his past he "should not have done", but insisted politicians were entitled to a "private past".

The book, serialised in the Independent on Sunday, says Mr Cameron was punished after admitting smoking cannabis.

Mr Cameron, then aged 15, was grounded but several boys were expelled.

The claims appear on the front page of a number of Sunday newspapers.

Former Conservative Party chairman Lord Tebbit urged Mr Cameron to come clean about any drug use, in order to put the story behind him.

Regret

Speaking outside his home on Sunday morning, Mr Cameron said: "Like many people I did things when I was young that I should not have done, and that I regret.

"But I do believe that politicians are entitled to a past that is private, and that remains private, so I won't be making any commentary on what is in the newspapers today."

MPs back Cameron

The book - Cameron, The Rise Of The New Conservative, by James Hanning and Francis Elliott - will also be serialised in the Mail on Sunday next month.

Both papers report that school authorities called the police to investigate drug use among the pupils.

Because he had smoked cannabis and not sold it, Mr Cameron was not expelled like several other boys, the book alleges.

Instead, he was fined, grounded for two weeks and given the school's traditional punishment of a "Georgic" - copying out hundreds of lines of Latin poetry, according to the book.

Throughout his leadership campaign in 2005, Mr Cameron declined to answer questions about drug taking when they were put to candidates.

Mr Cameron was initially asked at a fringe meeting at the 2005 Conservative party conference if he had ever taken drugs.

He told the meeting he had had a "typical student experience".

Later that same year on BBC One's Question Time, he said everybody was allowed to "err and stray" in their past.

Last month, Mr Cameron said he opposed making cannabis legal but would be "relaxed" about legalising it for medicinal use if there was evidence of health benefits.

Home Secretary John Reid appeared to agree that politicians were entitled to a private life before elected to office.

"I think this is one of those 'so what' moments," he told the BBC's Politics Show.

"Do we want to get to the level of ensuring that every politician... is a sort of plastic politician produced off some colourless and characterless conveyor belt?"

Lord Tebbit told BBC News 24: "My advice to him now would be, 'Get it out of the way, get it over with and it will be a seven-day wonder. If you don't, people will keep turning up with another expose'."
    Lol. These media blokes are the same everywhere you go.

One guy on the comments section in BBC has nailed it : "The gutter press in the UK rule once more. How to make a headline and a story out of nothing!!! It's not as if there's nothing else important happening in the world which could make a good front page. And the sad old British people will spend hours reading and debating it. The question is, what am I doing here wasting my time??"

BBC NEWS | Politics | Cameron defiant over drug claims

[QUOTE=Samudra;342675]Lol. These media blokes are the same everywhere you go.

One guy on the comments section in BBC has nailed it : "The gutter press in the UK rule once more. How to make a headline and a story out of nothing!!! It's not as if there's nothing else important happening in the world which could make a good front page. And the sad old British people will spend hours reading and debating it. The question is, what am I doing here wasting my time??"

There seems be be a national obsession with trivia these days. The fact that this is happening to someone who just happens to be the leader of a political party, guarantees that every rival politician will have plenty of mealy-mouthed words to say to the media. Like 'Big Brothers House' this will run and run ad nauseam.
    Last edited by glyn; 11 Feb 07,, 17:06. Reason: spelling mistake
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Big Brother!

Our prized bimbo won!

Cameron shall also win! ;)

And Blair shall only resign once he has dug the six feet required to bury the Labour Party! And he is doing a damned good job. No Scot is to take over or even have half a chance under any circumstances is his idea of who shall rule the GB!

Maybe it is a cynical thought, but then he is leaving no stones unturned!

I was shocked to learn in ARRSE (IIRC) that a policeman get more pay than a soldier in Afghanistan!

If that it true, then all credit to the British nationalism that prompts a person to enlist as a soldier!
      Last edited by Ray; 11 Feb 07,, 17:22.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

It has always been the case Ray that a soldier gets paid less than a policeman and a fireman and the balance will never be achieved. With regard to the thread - so what? Most university types have dabbled in a little wacky baccy in their adolesence but does it render them unable to carry out their jobs in adulthood? What's the betting that Bliar put a few illegal substances into his system during his uni years? Provided he does not continue to dabble then what harm is there? Had he admitted the allegation outright the public would probably have been more sympathetic and actually appreciated his honesty - an honest politician? my god, I must be dreaming!!

Comment

Our defence forces get better paid to some extent, when you take the allowance in the field into consideration.

But promotions are better in the police.

I wasn't commenting on Cameron and his 'habits'.

To me such issues are trivial if one does his job well.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
            The question is, what am I doing here wasting my time??"
            BBC NEWS | Politics | Cameron defiant over drug claims
            Because Samudra it obviously interests YOU more than "the sad old British people" on the WAB forum who could not be bothered either reading it or postng it!
            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
              Because Samudra it obviously interests YOU more than "the sad old British people" on the WAB forum who could not be bothered either reading it or postng it!

Just killing time buddy. Besides I've just moved to GB. It makes sense to follow the local news to understand whats going on and how people are.

Comment

Just killing time buddy. Besides I've just moved to GB. It makes sense to follow the local news to understand whats going on and how people are.
                Well welcome to GB.....little advice for you if I could be so bold, I would not if I was you walk around making to many "sad old british people" comments.....IMHO
                sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                  Well welcome to GB.....little advice for you if I could be so bold, I would not if I was you walk around making to many "sad old british people" comments.....IMHO
                  Errmmm thats fine with me...but the problem is where do I find British People in London ?

BTW I've actually quoted another guys words in my post. It was that chap who made "sad old Britih people" people comments.

Comment

Errmmm thats fine with me...but the problem is where do I find British People in London ?
                    a sense of humour is always good

BTW I've actually quoted another guys words in my post. It was that chap who made "sad old Britih people" people comments.
                    Then I shall apologise and re offer my advice......"make it very clear that you are quoting someone" it may help.....
                    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

AGREED! - you should travel on the Central line at 0700 hrs each morning - I, as a true, blue-blooded Englishman am always in the minority, the majority being eastern europeans and asians.

Comment

Originally posted by Callmecur View Post
                        What's the betting that Bliar put a few illegal substances into his system during his uni years?
                        Ah, so that's why he married Cherie then......
                        Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands and sweep it!

Comment

Then I shall apologise and re offer my advice......"make it very clear that you are quoting someone" it may help.....
                          I know my Handwriting is pretty horrible,shabby and crap. And thats why I ruined my education but its hard to digest that the same is the case with my typewriting.

a sense of humour is always good
                          Not kidding my friend...I have to try hard to find 'English' or 'British' people here.
                          Last edited by Samudra; 12 Feb 07,, 19:35.

Comment

I know my Handwriting is pretty horrible,shabby and crap. And thats why I ruined my education but its hard to digest that the same is the case with my typewriting.

Wrap your quotes so no doubt
                            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Originally posted by Ex MIB View Post
                              Ah, so that's why he married Cherie then......
                              Ha Ha, like it

Comment

Working...
                              X