Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan protests to China over sub

Japan protests to China over sub

Japan has summoned a senior Chinese diplomat to issue a formal protest over a submarine spotted inside its waters earlier this week.

Japan earlier said it was sure the submarine was Chinese because of its type and apparent direction.

Japan's navy was put on alert for the first time in five years to chase it.

The incident is likely to further raise tensions between Japan and China, already locked in disputes about contested islands and gas fields.

"We made a strong protest and demanded an apology," Japanese Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura said after meeting Chinese embassy official Cheng Yonghua. China's ambassador to Japan was reportedly out of Tokyo.

Mr Machimura asked for an explanation and asked China to ensure a similar incident did not happen again.

Mr Cheng replied that he would first report to Beijing, Mr Machimura said.

The Chinese foreign ministry is reported to have convened an emergency meeting to discuss the issue.

Japan's cabinet spokesman Hiroyuki Hosoda said Japan's reaction depended on the Chinese government's response.

"We have to take into consideration many things, such as how China responds and Japan's public opinion" he said. "The question is how we deal with this issue in the big picture."

Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has called the incident "regrettable".

Although the sub did not surface, Japanese media said it had been identified by its cruising sound.

Sensitive area

The vessel was first spotted near the Sakishima islands, which lie about 120km (75 miles) south of the disputed Senkaku islands - known as the Diaoyu in Chinese.

The incident comes at a time of heightened tensions between the two countries, which are likely to become increasingly competitive in their hunt for natural resources to power their economies.

The two sides held inconclusive talks last month on gas exploration projects in the East China Sea.

China has also reportedly been angered by a Japanese defence ministry paper which speculated on reasons China might attack. It cited disputes over natural resources and territory, as well as a wider conflict involving Taiwan.

The last time Japan ordered such a high maritime alert was in 1999, when two suspected North Korean ships entered its waters.

In December 2001, a suspected North Korean spy ship sank off Japan after a shoot-out with Japan's coast guard.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4005533.stm
    China is flexing its muscle or testing the waters?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

maybe a little bit of both. is sinking the sub legal? it was in Japanese territorial waters.

Comment

Do you really want to sink a nuclear sub off your coast if you don't absolutely have to?
      The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

in my jejeuneness I have to say it would be fun; however, I understand the repercussions of such a move.

my question is whether it would be legal

Comment

Is it me, or is China trying to start tensions with other countries. First with a sub surfacing close to a U.S. carrier fleet, then allowing the U.S. to dock at one of there ports and turning them away at the last second, now this.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido View Post
            Do you really want to sink a nuclear sub off your coast if you don't absolutely have to?
            You can drop sounding charges - that will get their attemtion....
            Linkeden:
            http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
            http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

gf, I have heard of devices called 'clappers' used to force submarines to surface. Do you have pictures of such devices?

Comment

Originally posted by Bella View Post
                Is it me, or is China trying to start tensions with other countries. First with a sub surfacing close to a U.S. carrier fleet, then allowing the U.S. to dock at one of there ports and turning them away at the last second, now this.
                Actually the event that this thread speaks about occured 3 years ago.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Transient View Post
                  gf, I have heard of devices called 'clappers' used to force submarines to surface. Do you have pictures of such devices?
                  sorry, can't help you on this...
                  Linkeden:
                  http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                  http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Bella Sir,

Congratulations to your excellent efforts for reviving a 3 years old “News”.

Let me give you some new update on Chinese navy ship in Japanese water just weeks ago.

First Chinese warship to visit Japan _English_Xinhua

Chinese naval ship leaves for Japan call -- china.org.cn

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/wo...a/22china.html

Information about the DDG-167 Shenzhen:

Type 051B destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    I am here for exchanging opinions.

Comment

Sorry guys, I noticed about 3 minuets after I posted. It looked like recent post and I thought that it happend again thats all......My bad

Comment

Working...
                      X