• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's here! Introducing Microsoft Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows Vista
    Wild Wild Web sigpic

Microsoft launches Windows Vista

Microsoft has launched Windows Vista, the much-awaited upgrade to its Windows operating system. This is the first major upgrade since the release of Windows XP in October 2001. But despite all the hype, experts warn that consumers may encounter early problems with the software.

"This is a six year interval, from 2001 to 2007, so while it's a big bang launch around the world, there's so much coming out at once and only so much that all the test families and corporate testers can do, that you may have some surprises and the hackers are just lined up around the world to attack it,” says Research Director, Envisioneering Group, Richard Doherty.

Microsoft claims Vista is its most secure operating system. The company has invested six billion dollars on it.

The new features in Vista include easier searches, gadget sidebars, and increased security. Windows vista will be available in six versions. Bought out of the box, it will cost you $ 239 US.

The upgraded from Windows XP is for $139 US. But there are hidden costs as well.

"The graphical user interface is really snazzy. But that comes at a price. If you've got a brand new PC, it's probably going to look great. If you're trying to put this on a PC made two or more years ago, your PC may slow down incredibly, so finding things may be offset by how come my typing is going slower, and how come everything else is slower,” Doherty says.

Already more than 95 per cent of the world's computers run some version of Windows operating system, and in 2007, 72.5 percent of new computers purchased by consumers will come preloaded with a version of Windows Vista.
    Wild Wild Web sigpic

Comment

im sure it will suck just as badly as xp has,is,and will suck.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't like it. Needs too much horsepower to run and the icons are too huge. Although the visual effects are nice. Then again, those need a new video card to show.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

i think vistas a waste of money at the moment, the only thing it does is look pretty damn nice, but i dont think that justifies the pricetag. ive been using betas of office 2007 and media player 11 for months now, the are nicer looking and slightly easier too use, but not much of an improvement over he ealier editions
          die, no0b

Comment

Not worth it to me. XP does the job well enough.
            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I don't expect a lot of upgrade sales, the resource requirements are just too high. But that won't matter to Microsoft, since most new PC's will be preloaded anyway.

So ultimately, we will be using Vista whether we want to or not, lol.
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I almost feel sorry for you Pc/windows people.
                Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

^^^ Lol. So do I, but you can't throw out the baby with the bathwater...
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

It's kinda hard to play all the new games on a Mac or a Linux/Unix system.

Comment

I'll wait until I get a new computer before I upgrade to Vista.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I'll downgrade...er...I mean upgrade to Vista when it's stable and well supported. That should be somewhere around the release of Microsoft's next OS.

I just upgraded to Windows XP.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          It's kinda hard to play all the new games on a Mac or a Linux/Unix system.
                          YEah..although many of the better games have got their Mac version.

I just upgraded to Windows XP.
                          What were you using before that?I use the XP but I also have Win2000 installed as a back up...which fortunately I didnt have to use too many times...which considering its Microsoft is very surprising..

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10 View Post
                            Not worth it to me. XP does the job well enough.
                            Heck. I did GREAT with only ME. Then computer fixer-uppers come along and upgrade me. Then I have to learn how to use the thing all over again. I really don't have the time or the patience for that.

When I got this new PC last November, the tech didn't have Photoshop 7.0 that I used for years. So he installed Photoshop CS2. It sucks and doesn't even come on anymore.

I found my old back up disk of 7.0, found the serial number in a hidden file and now I've got my old program back that I'm used to.

My scanner will only scan pictures and no longer gives me the option to scan slides and negatives.

I also want the old MS Word and MS Excel. All my files were done under those, especially my book. The latest Word program drives me crazy. When I want to print something up in Fast Draft, it doubles the size of the page.

The tech is coming out tomorrow morning to see what he can do. I asked him to find a disk for the OLD MS word and excel. If he can fix it, I will be so much happier at dinner that night as my wife and I will be celebrating the train trip we took to Las Vegas 38 years ago and came back as a married couple (in her bachelor pad because the new owner of the duplex I was in ran a bulldozer through it).

This new and fancy stuff is fine for geeks that have nothing else better to do than invent a new language in their instruction books. I think it's called Geekinese. I don't understand a thing they're talking about because I was never into electronics.

Armor plate was so much simpler.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              The tech is coming out tomorrow morning to see what he can do. I asked him to find a disk for the OLD MS word and excel.
                              Which old version are you looking for? I have tons of old MS CD's.

Comment

Working...
                              X