PDA

View Full Version : Can we think a democracy without freedom or a freedom without democracy?

AlpErTunga
29 Jan 07,, 23:53
Does democracy prepear freedoms or does freedom prepear democracy?

highsea
30 Jan 07,, 00:27
Anarchy is the ultimate freedom, but since most people prefer the that other guy is not that free, they create governments.

AlpErTunga
30 Jan 07,, 12:11
The thing that I looking for ; Is the basis of democracy freedom? or is the basis of freedom democracy? Which one is initial? Also I have some more question marks if anarchy can provide ultimate freedom...

Thanks. :)

highsea
30 Jan 07,, 15:53
The thing that I looking for ; Is the basis of democracy freedom? or is the basis of freedom democracy? Which one is initial? Neither. They can exist independently of each other.

All democracies have some degree of authoritarianism, and even the most autocratic ruler still has to permit some level of free will among his subjects.

But democracies tend to offer a higher level of freedoms to the people than autocracies on average, imo.

speedlover1994
30 Jan 07,, 23:14
Well said, but to add to that note, the purpose of democracy was freedom, and obviously democracy allows for a higher level of freedom. But neither causes the other.