When will my school learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will my school learn?

I go to a catholic school that is boys-only, its very expensive ($10,000 a year) so only rich kids can really afford to go (I got a scholarship). For some reason they refuse to acknowledge that drugs exist in the school. In most schools they test the urine of their sports players even on a Junior Varsity level, not my school. My cousin is a certified drug councellor for (usually) adolescents and does bi-yearly presentation at our sister school. My school still refuses to allow him to do a presentation by ignoring his calls all together. They are convinced it will do more bad than good and that acknowledging the drugs will cause parents to panic. Recent events may lead them to rethink that! Last week a student decided to snort 5 1mg Xanax pills and passed out during class drooling, the principal personally called the ambulance. More were found on his person. A few days later another student also sniffed a pill this time a painkiller (unsure of the exact one, i assume an oxycodone) and got a nosebleed, went to the nurse and told her. Both were thrown out of the school. Just thought i would post this so you guys could see what goes on in High Schools these days. Why is my school administration so ignorant?

They're not, I also go to private school (also scholarship) and we've had kids in junior high kicked out for coming in to school wasted.

In the high school smoke literally drifts out of the bathrooms, I think it's a private school thing (lol)
    "you have enemies, good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Comment

Hehe... 2 years ago, our principal made a speech declaring the school "drug-free"... and within the same month, all the toilets and sinks clogged up; turned out to be a whole bundle of ciggarete butts clogging the pipes... lol...

and as for drugs/smoking, it is mostly due to peer pressure, I went to a boarding school, and 24/7 you're hanging around with your peers, and it is hard to resist the whole social pressure (and the adventure of doing something wrong) that goes around the circles... I mean when you have a whole bunch of people trying to sneak out of the dormitory at night, and go out and have a kick, it really sucks to be the loner trying to avoid the flow... there used to be a time, when I used to hold my breath everytime I was around people smoking; it didn't take long for social pressure to kick in...

hence, the social pressure is the main key to all... ;) atleast in boarding schools....
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Your school exists to teach, not to learn. That is the mantra that allows the education system to live in denial and lower the academic bar to the lowest common denominator.

When I was in high school most of my friends hung out by the local catholic school because those kids had the best drugs and the girls were....easy. Absolutely no one in the administration dared admit the festering problem because they would have to admit their own failures and the failures of the system. Later I found out that many of the catholic students had been kicked out of other "public" schools and most were not even catholic. What mattered was that daddy's tuition check did not bounce. my own school was not much better than yours. My parents chose a redneck, hick school for me to go to because there was less drugs there than in the nearby bigger city high schools. I learned early of the fallacy of my parent's thinking though it would be 15 years later that they would believe all the crap that went on. I was a suburb boy who in Illinois was popular and in the top 105 of the class, who in the next 4 years never fit in the hick way of life and that school was a living hell for me.

8-12th grade is when kids start forming habits that will shape the beginning of their adult lives. That is excactly why young kids need to have positive role models at this time. You are where kids are huffing, snorting, shooting and smoking, while your superiors, the people you are supposed to be looking for guidance from, are turning the blind eye of indifference.

Learn to deal with this James. You are opening your eyes to what the "real world" is all about.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          Learn to deal with this James. You are opening your eyes to what the "real world" is all about.
          Believe me Bonehead this is not the first I am seeing of this, this is a major improvment of my Junior High School in which it was a serious possibility that you would be stabbed/shot. It was across the street from the projects and all the "hood" types would go their. By 7th grade I seen knives, drugs, fights and a 9mm. I just wanted people to see what the "best" high schools are like nowadays.

Comment

Someone in my grade got kicked out of school for having a knife

Aaaah, expectations have drifted so low
            "you have enemies, good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Comment

Originally posted by speedlover1994 View Post
              Someone in my grade got kicked out of school for having a knife

Aaaah, expectations have drifted so low
              That's nothing, a kid in my old school nearly had his throat slashed over a brownie, yes a brownie.

Comment

they'll never acknowledge. if they do, parents will not put their kids in your shcool, school will lose money.
                they couldn't care less weather you learn anything or not, they only care about money parents pay.
                it's all about the benjamins.
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X