PDA

View Full Version : Yasser Arafat dies

Ironduke
11 Nov 04,, 05:12
Veteran leader Yasser Arafat dies

The veteran Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has died in a French hospital, nearly two weeks after being transferred from the West Bank.

Mr Arafat, 75, dominated Palestinian politics for 40 years and there is no clear line of succession.

But Palestinian leaders have agreed a plan to prevent a power struggle and chaos in the volatile Gaza Strip.

Analysts believe his death could provide an opportunity to restart the Middle East peace process.

BBC News website's world affairs correspondent Paul Reynolds says it might force Israel to make good on its claim that it was only Yasser Arafat who was blocking peace talks.

Deep coma

Mr Arafat had been in a coma since 3 November and later suffered a brain haemorrhage.

However, Palestinian officials repeatedly insisted there was no question of switching off his life-support machine.

A top-level Palestinian delegation visited Mr Arafat at the Percy military hospital near Paris on Tuesday to find out more about his condition.

Their visit ended a row with Mr Arafat's wife, Suha, who they said had withheld information.

She earlier accused her husband's colleagues of conspiring against him and attempting to "bury" him before he was dead.

The Palestinian leader was transferred to the military hospital in Clamart on 29 October, suffering from a blood disorder.

Tests showed he had a low count of blood platelets, which are needed for clotting, but doctors were unsure what caused the condition and made no official announcement about the cause of Mr Arafat's illness.

Doctors were said to have ruled out cancer and poisoning.

Burial plans

Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei has already been assigned some of Mr Arafat's powers.

His predecessor, Mahmoud Abbas, is running the Palestinian Liberation Organisation, headed by Mr Arafat for more than 40 years.

The Palestinian parliamentary speaker, Rawhi Fattuh, will take over as president of the Palestinian Authority until an election is held to fill the post.

Mr Arafat is due to be buried in the grounds of his half-demolished compound in the West Bank, where he had been kept under virtual house arrest by Israel for two-and-a-half years.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon earlier made it clear he would not allow his old adversary to be buried on the Temple Mount - also known as the Haram al-Sharif - in occupied East Jerusalem

Egypt said it was willing to host a state funeral for Mr Arafat.

The proposal would enable Arab leaders to attend.

There are fears of chaos in Gaza, already destabilised by inter-factional fighting and uncertainty over Israel's planned pullout from the area.

The Israeli military remains on high alert.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3984841.stm

Kipruss
11 Nov 04,, 05:38
I hope the successer can find a peaceful way of co-existing with Israel and gets a just state for his people.

Leader
11 Nov 04,, 06:15
Well, God shouldn't have to think much about which way his soul is going.

Ray
11 Nov 04,, 07:20
One never speaks ill of the dead. One must be magnanimous to the enemy too. To forgive is Divine.

However, he is still not 'technically' dead. The 'top' cleric has said.

Praxus
11 Nov 04,, 16:48
If there's a hell I hope he's rotting in it for all of eternity.

tarek
11 Nov 04,, 18:59
Now that he has passed away, It is God to judge him, we can cleanse ourselves by forgiving him - Now lets move to a process leading to the creation of a viable Palestinian state and economy.

ChrisF202
11 Nov 04,, 19:42
Now that he has passed away, It is God to judge him, we can cleanse ourselves by forgiving him - Now lets move to a process leading to the creation of a viable Palestinian state and economy.
Why should we forgive a terrorist prick? Im sicked by how the media are ignoring this fact, I mean I look on CNN to see a couple of French soldiers saulting his coffin, have they forgotten his past? Have they ever heard of the Black September arm of the PLO?

tarek
11 Nov 04,, 19:50
Well then, don't forgive him -- suit yourself -- "Have they forgotten his past" you ask, as if there are those amongst us those whose hands are clean. Either way, moving on to create a viable palestinian state and economy is what we should keep our focus on.

We have new paradigm, a new opportunity, playing the self-righteous victim is not the need of the day. The world is witness, that what can be done, can also be undone, this should sober us, not make us arrogant and petty.

Fonnicker
11 Nov 04,, 19:52
What do you all suppose the consensus of the Israeli people is? A lot of celebration? A little nervousness regarding who will pick up the batton? Will his successor be better, worse...?

Praxus
11 Nov 04,, 20:50
Yasar Arafat doesn't deserve the forgivness of anyone, only our hatred and disrespect.

Officer of Engineers
11 Nov 04,, 20:57
Yasar Arafat doesn't deserve the forgivness of anyone, only our hatred and disrespect.

He's dead. Move on. Otherwise, he'll drag you to the grave with him. There's nothing you can do to him (or for him). Take care of the living ... or join the dead.

Julie
11 Nov 04,, 21:21
Why should we forgive a terrorist prick? Im sicked by how the media are ignoring this fact, I mean I look on CNN to see a couple of French soldiers saulting his coffin, have they forgotten his past? Have they ever heard of the Black September arm of the PLO?

These days from what I've read of the French, they seem to embrace the more controversial leaders, i.e. Saddam. Why, is beyond me.

But, now, at this point in time, I have to agree with the Office of Engineers. Let Arafat go, and bury his past with him.

Confed999
12 Nov 04,, 03:28
I don't wish this of many people, but I hope it was painful.

Leader
12 Nov 04,, 05:21
I don't wish this of many people, but I hope it was painful.

I agree the man didnít deserve to die in his sleep.

Ray
12 Nov 04,, 06:22
Arafat is a hero to his people. One cannot wish that away.

What is debatable is the way the solution was being sought and to some extent Israel did not help matters too since its own security interest were at stake.

The cause of his death remains a mystery. I wonder why? It should be stated or else more controversies will arise and interested parties will give their own interpretation which will lead to more confusion and even bloodshed. With his passing away, maybe the moderates on both sides will be able to chalk out a scheme for peace and leaving controversies will not help.

To build a memorial in Ramallah will become a rallying point. It will be dangerous, but I reckon there is no two ways about it.

Could Arafat have been dead many days before and they discovered it just now?

Julie
12 Nov 04,, 21:32
Arafat is a hero to his people. Who else did his people have to compare to?

The cause of his death remains a mystery. Yes it is, since I had heard in the very beginning of his illness that they suspected poisoning.

Maybe someone decided that the Palestinians needed other options?

Asim Aquil
13 Nov 04,, 01:16
He's dead. Move on. Otherwise, he'll drag you to the grave with him. There's nothing you can do to him (or for him). Take care of the living ... or join the dead.
Exactly what I had in mind. I was no fan, either, but I value the old saying to "never speak ill of the dead". What're you guys gonna do? You can circle up and say mean things about him and make yourself feel good, or you can move on and try for a solution.

As Ray said. He is a hero to his people. You're just fueling unneccessary fires...

Parihaka
13 Nov 04,, 02:09
I hope the successer can find a peaceful way of co-existing with Israel and gets a just state for his people.
kia ora

Hawk_eye
13 Nov 04,, 02:46
May he rest in peace, and may this tragic development lead to a new and proserous oppertunity for the palestinian people and thier state.

NeoLiberal
13 Nov 04,, 04:53
That is not likely to happen. Sharon strategy is to vacate Gaza strip but maintain control of the as much of West Bank as possible, probably even expand the existing settlements.

Sharon/Israel won't dismantle West Bank settelment, without which a viable Paelstinian state won't be possible and thus peace also won't be possible.

There is a real possibility though that Palestinian may simply throw in the towel and propose a one state solution, something which would not be acceptable to Israel, as it would threaten its jewish character.

Ray
13 Nov 04,, 07:35
I wonder if it will be in the interest of Israel to find a solution to the Palestinian question.

A volatile situation will always justify the enhancement of Israeli borders. Having built an expensive wall, how can Israel squeeze back?

Also, there will be a power struggle amongst the Palestinians.

To my mind, I wonder if the Palestinian issue will find a solution in the near future.

smilingassassin
13 Nov 04,, 10:09

Amen to that, lets hope that the peace process get moving again.

Julie
14 Nov 04,, 18:10
Amen to that, lets hope that the peace process get moving again.

They had better get moving, elections are scheduled for Jan. 9. and this is quoted in a BBC article.:

"Jailed West Bank Fatah leader Marwan Barghouti is considering a bid, his wife Fadwa has told AFP news agency.

Barghouti is in an Israeli jail serving five consecutive life sentences, but many consider him to be the most popular leader after Mr Arafat." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4009213.stm

Can this guy even qualify as a candidate for the elections?

Parihaka
14 Nov 04,, 18:36
That is not likely to happen. Sharon strategy is to vacate Gaza strip but maintain control of the as much of West Bank as possible, probably even expand the existing settlements.

Sharon/Israel won't dismantle West Bank settelment, without which a viable Paelstinian state won't be possible and thus peace also won't be possible.

There is a real possibility though that Palestinian may simply throw in the towel and propose a one state solution, something which would not be acceptable to Israel, as it would threaten its jewish character.
One state's a nice idea tho isn't it? Maybe no gaza, no west bank, just one israel/palestine, all people within boundaries allowed to vote, maybe get really radical and allow UN peacekeepers whilst dismantling Israeli defence force and hamas, weapons free areas, massive aid to improve living conditions of palestinians etc etc, dreams are free I guess...

Praxus
14 Nov 04,, 18:38
Arafat is a hero to his people. One cannot wish that away.

So was Hitler.

Ray
15 Nov 04,, 02:20
Well, one could also give other examples!;)

Praxus
15 Nov 04,, 03:23
Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, Che, Castro, Lenin, Mao, not to mention the crazies during the middle ages and ancient period who were all loved by their people;)

Ray
15 Nov 04,, 03:35
Ask the Iraqis.

Praxus
15 Nov 04,, 03:40
They liked Saddam for a time. Even worst they now like murdering suicidal islamo-fascists.

mostlymad
15 Nov 04,, 10:26

I don't wish him in hell (if there was a hell) nor do I say rest in peace. Like OoE, I agree, move on, but - we shouldn't forget what Arafat did, the methods he used to form Palestine any more than we should forget any major person in history and thier actions should be looked at critically. Part of why we study history is to learn and prevent future conflict.

Legitimacy should never be obtained through terrorism. So, record it faithfully in history books, then move on.

Ray
15 Nov 04,, 10:39
Chris,

The Palestinian would also call Sharon a 'prick'.

Now, who is the real 'prick'.

Forget 'pricks', let's get on with the order.

Let's get peace in place.

Asim Aquil
15 Nov 04,, 14:15
IMO Israel and Palestine should be united? But how? Both of them are stupid theocratic states. Build a good solid secular constitution, something similar to the United States or Turkeys.. or a mix.... perhaps try something out that works.

Oh and a change of name too. No Israel, no Palestine. A new name, a new identity. Jews, Christians, Hindus and Muslims all equal citizens of one state. Derrive a way to gaurantee that equality and voila problem solved.

ZFBoxcar
15 Nov 04,, 21:39
A one state solution will never work, because that basically means Israel surrendering. A one state solution means Israel will with time become like Lebanon, which is what Israelis fear most, an Islamic theocracy, or a Ba'athist style dictatorship. 2 states is the only solution because it the Palestinians would not accept constitutional democracy over a democracy. A democracy would work to their advantage as their population, along with the influx of Arabs they would encourage, would give them final victory.

You cant just remove the conflict from its context, and make the Palestinians separate from the rest of the Arabs, and you can't separate the Israelis from the Zionist dream of a Jewish homeland.

Kipruss
17 Nov 04,, 22:31
A one state solution will never work, because that basically means Israel surrendering. A one state solution means Israel will with time become like Lebanon, which is what Israelis fear most, an Islamic theocracy, or a Ba'athist style dictatorship. 2 states is the only solution because it the Palestinians would not accept constitutional democracy over a democracy. A democracy would work to their advantage as their population, along with the influx of Arabs they would encourage, would give them final victory.

You cant just remove the conflict from its context, and make the Palestinians separate from the rest of the Arabs, and you can't separate the Israelis from the Zionist dream of a Jewish homeland.
Well said.