Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infiltration to be checked effectively; Concrete steps on Afghan side urged: NSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infiltration to be checked effectively; Concrete steps on Afghan side urged: NSC

ISLAMABAD, Jan 18: Discussing the worsening situation in South Waziristan, the National Security Council (NSC) on Thursday decided to effectively check cross-border movement in order to eliminate foreign terrorists from the area, and stressed the need for similar measures on the Afghan side, sources told Dawn.

The 9th meeting held at the NSC Secretariat was attended by Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz and other members of the Council. However, leader of the opposition Maulana Fazlur Rehman was not present.

According to the sources, concerned officials told the meeting, presided over by President General Pervez Musharraf, that Pakistan was using biometric technology to check cross-border movement of terrorists. However, no such effort was being made from the Afghan side, they said, adding unless strict action was taken by Kabul, it would be difficult to achieve desired results.

The sources said Foreign Minister Khurshid Mehmood Kasuri briefed the meeting about the US viewpoint on South Waziristan in the light of the latest statement of US Intelligence Director John Negroponte accusing Pakistan of being a safe haven for Al Qaeda and Taliban militants.

NWFP Chief Minister Akram Khan Durrani informed the participants of the meeting that the Afghans and foreign militants were strongly opposed to the peace deal and making attempts to sabotage the process in South Waziristan.

Interior Minister Aftab Sherpao and NWFP Governor Lt-Gen (retd) Ali Mohammed Jan Aurakzai informed the meeting about various steps being taken to improve the security situation in areas along the Afghan border.The meeting was told that Pakistan had explained its position to Richard Boucher, US Assistant Secretary of State for South Asian and Central Asian Affairs, who had visited Pakistan recently. Likewise, tripartite commission comprising Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nato which held its meeting in Rawalpindi two weeks ago was also given a detailed briefing about the efforts Pakistan was making to halt illegal cross-border movement.

Speaking on the occasion, President Musharraf reiterated Pakistan's firm resolve to combat extremism and terrorism and warned of a strong punitive action against any illegal cross-border activity and terrorists taking refuge on its soil.

He said the government had taken effective political, administrative and economic measures in Fata. These measures, he hoped, would bring peace and socio-economic development of these areas leading to effective monitoring of the Pakistan-Afghanistan border as well. He said the security situation in Fata had substantially improved after the peace agreement with tribal elders.

He said the security forces and the political administration were doing a Herculean task in the supreme national interest.

The president, however, underscored the need for strict implementation on the elaborate plans to check infiltration of militants and elimination of foreign terrorists. He also stressed the need for measures on the Afghan side to take concerted steps for stopping the frequent movement of high-profile militants from their side of the border into Pakistan.

The NSC reviewed in detail all important developments at the national and international scene since its last meeting, with particular reference to situation in Fata after the peace agreement as well as rehabilitation efforts in the earthquake-affected areas of the NWFP and Azad Kashmir.

In his presentation on post-peace agreement situation in Fata, the NWFP governor said that socio-economic activity in the area was in full swing. He said a number of initiatives had been taken to control law and order situation. These included strengthening of political administration, structural changes in Fata Secretariat and Fata Development Authority, raising and training of levy force and additional wings of the Frontier Corps and restoration of confidence and prestige of Maliks, he added.

Substantial development work was initiated in Fata to improve its socio-economic condition, he said and stressed the need to pursue the strategy with single mindedness and patience to achieve desired results.

The governor also made a number of recommendations on issues like cross-border movement and presence of foreigners.

Chairman Erra Altaf Saleem and his deputy Lt-Gen Nadeem Ahmed gave a detailed overview of efforts of the authority in the quake-hit areas.

The Erra chairman informed the meeting that a total of over Rs33 billion to 475,253 beneficiaries had already been disbursed as second instalment and Rs50 million to about 20,000 beneficiaries as third instalment. He said damage assessment had been completed in Muzaffarabad, Bagh and Rawalakot and rehabilitation work had commenced in the areas.

The NWFP chief minister asked the president to right off loans in the earthquake-affected areas and provide 10,000 acres of land free of cost to set up a new city in place of Balakot.
    As you all know the NSC is the new supreme arbitrator in all matters of national policy. Apparently Afghanistan is hot on the agenda of the NSC.

Everyone's expecting Pakistan to do everything where as no one is ready to do the same for Pakistan. Why do Afghans allow terrorists to come into Pakistan in the first place? That too high-profile. Interesting questions which will be craftily sidestepped by Nato.

Why do Afghans allow terrorists to come into Pakistan in the first place?
    Good point.

Why does the murder victim let himself be killed?

Or why does the girl dress immodestly before getting raped?

Their fault, blame them!

/ love your honesty Asim!
    I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Your logic would fit if I complained that why does Afghanistan allow terrorists to come in from Pak. But it doesn't explain why they let them come to Pakistan!

Are we the only ones who are supposed to combat terrorism? And foreign people conducting/allowing terror activities inside our soil our immune? Afghanistan has to get its act together as well, they've piggybacked on us long enough.

Comment

My logic is puny. I don't argue with my logic, I prefer facts.

But it doesn't explain why they let them come to Pakistan!
        They didn't come "to", they came "from" Pakistan. I'm not saying it, history is.
        I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Working...
        X