Thief steals video keepsakes of dying mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief steals video keepsakes of dying mother

I saw this on the news this morning. I hope that whoever stole the camera at least has enough empathy to send the tapes back.

BLENDON TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer, Melanie Worthington was concerned that her 5-year-old son Theo might not remember her after she was gone.

“When Melanie found out she was sick, she wanted to use the camcorder to make tapes for her little boy,” her mother Carla Worthington said. “So we taped her making cookies with him, playing up at the cabin, anything that he might need to look back on and see how they did things together.”

A few weeks after she died, someone walked through an unlocked door in the Worthington home and stole virtually all of the video remembrances she recorded.

Police have no suspects in custody, and the family has no duplicates of the tapes.

“It was like someone had come out and taken her away from us a second time,” her sister Marnie told The Grand Rapids Press for a story published Thursday.

Melanie, who died Thanksgiving weekend at age 39, was living with Theo, her parents and sister in a ranch home on a dirt road. Whoever stole the tapes also stole two camcorders, a portable DVD player and assorted tapes.

Carla Worthington, 61, said she and her husband, Phillip, 63, are both on disability, but managed to scratch up a reward of $200 for the return of the merchandise and the tapes.

“Maybe this is one way we can get them back,” she said. “I guess I’m hoping for some kind of miracle.”
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16592869/
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

The sad truth is the thief probably just threw the tapes when he saw the nearest garbage can, or if he was curios he saw the tapes and got rid of them when he saw a kid spending time with his mother. Sad news indeed.

A mothers love...

Comment

Working...
    X