Mozilla Firefox 2 (& IE7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 2 (& IE7)

I'm posting this as a resource for members and giving it my personal recommendation. Mozilla is a non-profit company and I receive no remuneration for recommending it.

Download site: http://www.mozilla.com

The award-winning Mozilla Firefox 2 is my browser of choice, and I have enjoyed a superior web browsing experience using it. It's fast, sleek, I love the tabbed browsing internface, and all of the other features it has. It has been at the forefront in designing a truly innovative yet simple internet browser, and has become wildly and increasingly popular, enjoying rapid growth as the browser of choice for millions.

Mozilla Firefox 2 Features:
    • Improved Tabbed Browsing
    • Spell Checking
    • Search Suggestions
    • Session Restore
    • Security
    • Speed
    • Personalization

Of course, Internet Explorer has been vastly improved with Firefox's success, and Internet Explorer 7 delivers superior performance compared to older versions.

Download site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

In any event, I highly recommend members to upgrade their Internet Explorer, or give Mozilla Firefox 2 a try (it's worth it) to enjoy the best internet experience possible.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Seconded. Whilst some of the cooler skins from the earlier versions of firefox are not yet updated, the software itself is extremely good. (I don't get paid for this either)
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      Seconded. Whilst some of the cooler skins from the earlier versions of firefox are not yet updated, the software itself is extremely good. (I don't get paid for this either)
      I have Mozilla and IE 7 both on my PC. They appear to co-exist peacefully. I am still trying to figure out which is "better".

I may never find that answer!
      :)

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
        I have Mozilla and IE 7 both on my PC. They appear to co-exist peacefully. I am still trying to figure out which is "better".

I may never find that answer!
        :)
        I think the true power of FF is when you use extensions like adplus, greasemonkey, ..etc

Comment

6 months too late on this thread but I would go with FF over IE7. I have both on my Notebook, and all I use is the Firefox. Security, ease of use and Speed of displaying a webpage are some areas where I find Firefox is still better than IE7.

May be Microsoft released IE7 2 years too late.
          Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

I have FF on my computer, and I prefer it to IE. However, i seem to have a problem with FF.

anything that requires quicktime does not want to work on FF. All I receive is the quicktime logo with a question mark in the middle of it. I have fiddled with the settings trying to get it to work but nothing seems to work, my cousin who is a computer techy, cannot get it to work either. I have uninstalled and reinstalled FF, but nothing works.

However, all quicktime plug ins work on IE without a hitch.... even though this, I still prefer FF.

Comment

They both are good.

Opera 9.22 seems faster than the previous version 9.21. Right now I am liking Opera. IE7 is a good browser, but not great. The main problem I have with it, is the interface, which isn't very customizable. Firefox is too slow for me. I prefer K-Meleon 1.1 over Firefox.

I still use IE7, but not directly. I use TheWorld Browser, which is a IE skin compatible with IE7's new security features, and browsing features. The interface is much better. Can't use IE7 plugins like IE7Pro, but it features it's own plugins, and themes. I don't don't use it much since alternative browsers seem faster for me.

My Opera cache settings are 4MB RAM cache, 50MB HDD cache with document, and image checking set to every 5 minutes. K-Meleon cache settings are set the same except document, and image checking is set to "Automatic." IE cache is set to "Automatic" with 50MB HDD cache.

I also have a IE skin called Tablane browser. It's weird, and I don't use it much, but it's purpose is very specific. It's a research, search, and website comparison browser. Doesn't have much options. Opera is better suited for searching for stuff on the web. You will blaze through the websites. For example looking for car sales, looking at news, looking up stuff, since it's very fast. For message boards, or forums I recommend a browser that works well with "Automatic" document, and image checking setting, but "Refresh" button will update your cache each time. My experiences with Opera in "Automatic" setting wasn't satisfactory in comparison to other browsers. Hence why the default settings for Opera is different than most browsers. Opera developers seem to know this. Actually Opera has no "Automatic" setting, but rather check your documents, and images "Always". K-Meleon is the best browser on "Automatic" setting. K-Meleon is like Firefox, but it uses Macros instead of xul. It's a faster Windows browser than Firefox. The more extensions you add to Firefox, the slower it becomes. K-Meleon replaced Firefox on my computer.
              Last edited by el_guapo; 22 Jul 07,, 19:54.

Comment

My only gripe with FF is the memory leak which they never seem to fix for some reason.
                "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

I think they atleast minimized the mem leak issue with the 2.0 version, but CPU usage has increased..but I love this browser esp with some awesome tweaks..i have heard a lot of good stuff with regard to opera. I dont know if I want to try it though..

Comment

I use Opera and it's the best browser I've ever come across. I highly recommend Opera as the browser of choice to people looking for a change.

Opera Web Browser

Comment

Originally posted by chankya View Post
                      My only gripe with FF is the memory leak which they never seem to fix for some reason.
                      That is why I quit using FireFox - about 4 months ago...:)

Comment

I started using Mozilla 4 months ago and have not looked back, love it.

Comment

I think i'll look into it. Sounds good.
                          Collins Class rule!

Comment

Im a big opera fan, been using since version 3 way back when.
                            The only gripe i have is that there is no equivalent of FF's adblock extension.
                            As for IE both FF and Opera are way better.
                            Only time i use IE is when im at work and have no choice.
                            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I have, Opera FF & IE7.

FF is used mostly due mainly to the McAfee Site Advisor (freebie add-on), even when you google something, the site advisor passes a verdict on the found page's, which helps me decide to avoid visiting unsafe pages.

Tony
                              Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Working...
                              X