X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baig calls female senator ‘aunty’

This a real humourous one. :)

Baig calls female senator ‘aunty’

ISLAMABAD: Senator Enver Baig of the Pakistan People’s Party Parliamentarians (PPPP) caused a storm during Saturday’s Senate session when he referred to Senator Pari Gul Agha of the Pakistan Muslim League (PML) as “aunty”.

Mr Baig was criticising the PML, saying it had accepted the leadership of a general, in a speech on the two-offices bill when Ms Agha stood on her seat and said: “Enough is enough. We will not bear more insults.” Mr Baig, visibly irritated, looked to Senate Chairman Mohammadmian Somroo and asked him to “tell the aunty to sit down”.

Upon this, all the women senators stood up on their chairs and started shouting that Mr Baig should apologise to Ms Agha.

Ms Agha said that she would not listen to another word from Mr Baig. She asked the chairman to tell him to sit down. “They do not take the upper house of parliament seriously,” she said. She asked why Mr Baig called her an aunty when he was also an elderly man.

Mr Baig withdrew his words and called Ms Agha his “sister”.

PML-N Senator Sadia Abbasi apologised to women parliamentarians belonging to the treasury on behalf of all the opposition senators on the floor of the house. Earlier, Mr Baig caused a minor uproar when he used the word “lota” (turncoat) in reference to some treasury senators, who felt the word was “unparliamentary”. Mr Baig said that the word was fine because it had been used in the Indian Parliament. He added that it was also used by former Indian prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru. mohammad imran
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-10-2004_pg7_5

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Loser sexist *******s... PPPP is filled with feudal trash.

Comment

I think it's a part of the culture in subcontinent where we try to establish relationship with others. We often start the public address with 'brothers and sisters' instead of 'ladies and gentlemen'. I don't see anyting wrong in calling a senior citizen as aunty or uncle.
      Jhingalala-Jhingalala, Hurr-Hurr!!! :eek:

Comment

Every woman thinks that she has just emerged from the womb.

Therefore, they would hate to be called aunty.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Noo nooo its this sexist insult type way he must've said it.

Like u know, I'm macho, Aunty's supposed to show her, her 'place'.

He was just being "nice" he could've used to something like "baji" or more formally, behn ji.... actually the proper term would've been "Mohtarma"

Comment

Baig calls female fenator aunty

'The woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think"

Whenever you have a bunch of clowns, you're going to have a circus!!!!!!!!

Chauvinist major time!!!!!.but funny.

Comment

Welcome, Ayesha.

Nice to have you on board.

Hope you add to make things great and calm!

A woman's influence makes a lot of difference!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I am going to flash my inter-cultural ignorance here for just a moment, if I may...

“tell the aunty to sit down”.
                My young-in refers to my sister as "Auntie", as she is her aunt....whats the negative side of this? What is he really meaning? (I just want to be able to tell my sister that my daughter has been calling her names since she could speak!! )

the word “lota” (turncoat)
                Lota? Turncoat? Help me out here. :)
                "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                  I am going to flash my inter-cultural ignorance here for just a moment, if I may...

My young-in refers to my sister as "Auntie", as she is her aunt....whats the negative side of this? What is he really meaning? (I just want to be able to tell my sister that my daughter has been calling her names since she could speak!! )

Lota? Turncoat? Help me out here. :)

Its a bit different. In the west one refers to their maternal & paternal relatives as aunts and uncles.

In SE Asia, we have specific names for maternal & paternal relatives.

Mom's Sister = Masi, Moosi,
                  Mom's Brother= Mamma

Dad's sister= Bua
                  Dad's brother (Younger) = Chacha
                  Dad's brother (Older) = Taya

Mom's Brother in Law= Fufa
                  Mom's Sister in Law= Mammi

Dad's brother in Law = Fufar
                  Dad's sister in Law= Chachi

We would refer anyone we don't know or next door neighbours etc as aunty & uncle ;)

There might be a slightly diff use of these names in Pakistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Gautam
                    Its a bit different. In the west one refers to their maternal & paternal relatives as aunts and uncles.

In SE Asia, we have specific names for maternal & paternal relatives.

Mom's Sister = Masi, Moosi,
                    Mom's Brother= Mamma

Dad's sister= Bua
                    Dad's brother (Younger) = Chacha
                    Dad's brother (Older) = Taya

Mom's Brother in Law= Fufa
                    Mom's Sister in Law= Mammi

Dad's brother in Law = Fufar
                    Dad's sister in Law= Chachi

We would refer anyone we don't know or next door neighbours etc as aunty & uncle ;)

There might be a slightly diff use of these names in Pakistan.
                    Thank you. I am going to go home and teach my mini-me the term Moosi - I like that one!! :) And my sister will have no idea.
                    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                      Thank you. I am going to go home and teach my mini-me the term Moosi - I like that one!! :) And my sister will have no idea.

There is a lot more where that came from

Comment

i'm 28...during my visits to India, even 13/14 year olds call me 'aunti' hahaah...its embarrassing because It's jsut soemthing that takes time in "getting used to"

If my nephew called me masi or aunti, i wouldnt mind, but strange kid calling me "aunti" to get my attention...big NO NO :)

Comment

Originally posted by aol
                          i'm 28...during my visits to India, even 13/14 year olds call me 'aunti' hahaah...its embarrassing because It's jsut soemthing that takes time in "getting used to"

If my nephew called me masi or aunti, i wouldnt mind, but strange kid calling me "aunti" to get my attention...big NO NO :)

R U Indian

but then this is the norm ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Gautam
                            R U Indian

but then this is the norm ;)

Yes I am :)

Comment

Originally posted by aol
                              Yes I am :)

Then u should be used 2 off this ;)

Comment