Dear Johnies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Johnies

All of us who has served or is still serving have had or know someone who has had a dear johnie from a girlfriend or fiance.What did you guys do with the photo of the ex when you recieved this letter.The obvious line is i really like you but i have met someone else i am lonely blah blah blah.
    On our firing range we had a Dear Johnie tree anyone who got these letters plugged them to this tree ,hence my LMG fired off quite a few hundred rounds
    during our tour.

I didn't have that problem but actually quite the opposite. Some girl in some country that the sailor had knocked up and now was not answering any of her letters.

However, as to the question. Back in the Regiment, I seem to recall a midnight custom where there was much howling at night, all his company mates got together, performed some ritual with the letter and maybe the picture, probably with destruction of the said being the end result.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ("Dear .... John?,"--Hawkeye
    "Ohhh, a double dear john letter. Could things get any worse?"--Radar, (wtte), "MASH")

Comment

i do not know if this true maybe someone could share some light on this,
      Apparently there was some marine serving in Iraq recieved a dear johnnie
      from the girlfriend saying that she met someone else and wanted her photograph back .Being a jarhead and improvising he went around to all of the guys in his platoon and company asking for one photo of his girlfriend or missus,he sent her about 50or 60 photo,s saying he could,nt remember what she looked like please pick out het photo and send the rest back to him. I do not know if this is true but if it is i always get a giggle when i think about it,go marine

Comment

Originally posted by soutie View Post
        from the girlfriend saying that she met someone else and wanted her photograph back .Being a jarhead and improvising he went around to all of the guys in his platoon and company asking for one photo of his girlfriend or missus,he sent her about 50or 60 photo,s saying he could,nt remember what she looked like please pick out het photo and send the rest back to him. I do not know if this is true but if it is i always get a giggle when i think about it,go marine

A dashed good way to snub the woman!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I actually recieved the ultimate in Dear Johns, after writing to a girl in Blackburn, Lancashire, at the behest of a friend of mine, it was arranged for me to travel to her home town when I was next on leave, only for her to give me the knock back, as she was, "washing her hair", I had travelled all the way from Germany, the ungrateful *****, so I did what all good men do in that situation, I went and got rat faced

Comment

Three day pass

There was a girl I knew from the US I thought I had wanted to marry. I got three days leave to visit her at her grandfathers farm near the Zimbabwe border.

The first day I spent fixing the wireless, the phone (at the pole), the extra car which had four flat tires and a dead battery and finally repairing the electric pump for the well. The TV proved beyond my skill to resuscitate.

The second day the road was mined by terrs, so we had to put up all the children that were on the school bus until the road was cleared.

The third day the farm was attacked. The attackers were driven off after a sharp fire fight leaving three captured. The local paper sent out a really good looking reporter to cover the story. I got my name in the local paper.

It was only after all this that the girl I'd come to visit told me she didn't want to marry a soldier because I might get killed. All I could think was that she could have told me on the first day and saved me a lot of work!

So I went back to base but first I slept with the reporter.;)
            Last edited by sappersgt; 15 May 07,, 03:07.
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by soutie View Post
              I'm sure it is a true story. Seemed to be SOP in most of the units I was in.

I received a wedding invitation from my fiancee and my "best" friend when I was in the root.

After seeing her 20 years later, I can say that it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Comment

Variations on the Theme

One of my best friends was in the second year of his enlistment at Fort Hood, when he got his "Dear John". His hot, little, University of Arizona sorority chicky apparently had decided to get a little, well actually a-lot on the side. Besides being a cute little number, apparently she was a bit of a freak. She liked pictures...of herself. My boy printed out a grip of these (especially some pretty compromising point of view shots) on some high quality glossy paper, and sent them to the girl's family. I'm sure it'd been done before, but he felt rather creative. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned here.
                Cato

Comment

Originally posted by cato View Post
                  She liked pictures...of herself. My boy printed out a grip of these (especially some pretty compromising point of view shots) on some high quality glossy paper, and sent them to the girl's family. I'm sure it'd been done before, but he felt rather creative. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned here.
                  Cato
                  Yer, sure is. Pretend to be an orphan who is shy of cameras How do you ever get over a thing like that? Can you see the parents faces as they opened that envelope..

Comment

Don't Mess With the Infantry!

Dave,
                    I saw some of the pics. I suggested that my man post some of the choice ones on the web. I mean CHOICE! He declined, rightly fearing legal repurcussions.He also felt that his revenge was a dish best served "family style", to to speak. My friend wound up doing a tour in Iraq with the 4th ID, and made it back alive and well. That being said, I quake at the thought of what would have happened had he recieved his letter while at war. My buddy is finishing his batchelor's degree, and I assume, with a digital camera full of future evidence
                    cato

Comment

Working...
                    X