Universities or Military Academies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universities or Military Academies

I'm a High School Junior + am looking at Universities.
    I'm interested in Foreign Affairs/Int Relat. Eventually want big policy position at State Department/ DoD/ Cabinet/ sumthing. I'm interested in Sino-American relations + US defense

maybe Gtown, Duke, American at DC, U Penn, Boston College, Notre Dame, or UF.

I'm also thinking about maybe goin 2 Naval Academy or Military Academy (W Point)
    my grandfather was a Marine in Korea, so he prob doesnt want me 2 go 2 ARMY, lol

think Navy might be good b/c might go up against, not sure I want 2 b on ship or subs though.

I need help. how is navy lyk/ army? how would i go? what path? help!

Well Franco, if you join the Navy you could always specalize in a ground based position like Seabees, Shore Patrol (what the Navy calls MP's), staff assignments, etc Im not sure about training, if you choose assignments, etc I belive we have some former USN guys here who can help you better then I.

Im a junior in HS as well btw. Havent given much thaught to my future, at least you are lol :)

Comment

lol

Comment

Several things.

I would not recommend any military academy unless your heart is set for at least 4 years military service ... take a look at where the military is and do you want to be there?

Annapolis and West Point are the top of the top. Chances are that you will not be accepted. Good grades ain't enough. You need to demonstrate leadership abilities in outside school activities be it sport or work. You need recomendations from serving and retired military personnel. A letter or two from your Congressmen and Senator would not hurt one bit.

From what you wrote, your heart ain't in this thing. I recommend you spare yourself the pain and the wonderful joys of two hour sleep only to be screamed at by everyone in your 1st year.

I can tell you my 1st year as an Officer Cadet was quite dfferent when I went back for my Masters as a Captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
          Several things.

I would not recommend any military academy unless your heart is set for at least 4 years military service ... take a look at where the military is and do you want to be there?

Annapolis and West Point are the top of the top. Chances are that you will not be accepted. Good grades ain't enough. You need to demonstrate leadership abilities in outside school activities be it sport or work. You need recomendations from serving and retired military personnel. A letter or two from your Congressmen and Senator would not hurt one bit.

From what you wrote, your heart ain't in this thing. I recommend you spare yourself the pain and the wonderful joys of two hour sleep only to be screamed at by everyone in your 1st year.

I can tell you my 1st year as an Officer Cadet was quite dfferent when I went back for my Masters as a Captain.
          1-I dont mean to sound arrogant; however, I have no doubt whatsoever I wouldn't be accepted.

2-im not sure i can get in2 top ivy league schools. + if i get in, i would need 2 have a pretty good grant or i'll b stayin at UF

3-i think u made a really good pt that if my heart is not in it, dont do it (i have a friend who is at W Pt, he's aplebe now. sounds lyk it sux at times)

4-at times i want 2 do infantry wrk, but other times not really at all. not appealed 2 serving on naval craft either (eyesight 40/20 so no flying)

5-im not sure what to study/major in. i want 2 do dipl a lil, i'm also interested in weapons though. being SEC DEF would b a cool job. how would i get there? how would i get to SEC STATE. im not sure i want 2 do civil service state departement stuff. maybe DoD or CIA?

6-open to suggestions

7-any1 here gone to academies or can help me in narrowing majors

TY for the insight Officer of Engineers. u made me reconsider if i really want 2 do milit. mayb i do, need 2 think deep (application process would start Spring 2005 for me w/ congress letter deal)

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
            1-I dont mean to sound arrogant; however, I have no doubt whatsoever I wouldn't be accepted.

2-im not sure i can get in2 top ivy league schools. + if i get in, i would need 2 have a pretty good grant or i'll b stayin at UF

3-i think u made a really good pt that if my heart is not in it, dont do it (i have a friend who is at W Pt, he's aplebe now. sounds lyk it sux at times)

4-at times i want 2 do infantry wrk, but other times not really at all. not appealed 2 serving on naval craft either (eyesight 40/20 so no flying)

5-im not sure what to study/major in. i want 2 do dipl a lil, i'm also interested in weapons though. being SEC DEF would b a cool job. how would i get there? how would i get to SEC STATE. im not sure i want 2 do civil service state departement stuff. maybe DoD or CIA?

6-open to suggestions

7-any1 here gone to academies or can help me in narrowing majors

TY for the insight Officer of Engineers. u made me reconsider if i really want 2 do milit. mayb i do, need 2 think deep (application process would start Spring 2005 for me w/ congress letter deal)
            My one suggestion is to get off the idiotic internet spelling bullcrap. It's a lazy man's way of not doing proper spelling and proper grammar. I mis-spell and use the wrong grammar at times but I always try to get my point across clearly and precisely.

I was around when the internet was borned back in the day of 300 baud modems and I still used proper English. I can seriously tell you that your current form of writing is completely unacceptable in any university or military academy.

You should not make people work just to understand your English.

Comment

OoE

Sir, what is the selection process for officers in the US/Canadian armed forces. We have an open written exam conducted by a central body, and those that pass the written exam go for a Service Selection Borad (SSB) interview, where one is tested by a panel of psychologists, field tests, group tests, group discussions etc, and only if one makes it through the SSB does one get selected for the National Defence Academy/Military/Naval or Air force academies.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Officer of Engineers,
                this a a forum, plz. from now on i will follow Warriner's Grammatical conventions; however, I'm pretty eloquent.

Comment

Lemontree,
                  I'm sort of dismayed at how easy it is to get into West Point, and other military academies. (the quality doesn't appear to be top tier students/leaders/athlets)

Comment

I think I'm interested in military academies because I want to serve nation; however, I don't know if I want to serve through the military.

Comment

Getting into RMC only takes grades. Staying in is another matter altogether. It's all too easy to get kicked out.

Comment

Franco, the point made by OoE that you're missing is that if you want to realise high aspirations, you have to demonstrate and practice quality and excellence in all circumstances, honing skills and techniques to a razor edge, and more importantly, maintaining and practicing those skills, perpetually. Your posts are not demonstrating this. If you think entering those institutions is easy or not terribly competitive, then you should apply, and at least prove to us how easy they are to get into.

The US military academies mean your ass is theirs for at least four years the second you cross the threshold starting your third year. If you are not prepared to have your life be totally theirs totally at their will, I would recommend against it. Better to think about what you really want to do and how to go about it, and what your education and skills have actually demonstrated, rather than wishful thinking.
                        The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Franco
                          Confusion at this threshold of your life is natural. All of us have faced it. But you have to take a decision. Military life is not a bed of roses. But it is an organisation that makes men out of boys. It teaches you to command, take decisions, builds confidence, in short it trains you to be a leader in life.

It is always better to have been part of a system (even for a short time), than to regret later.

In India, joining the armed forces is a very prestegious thing. In many families, its tradational. I myself am a third generation officer to have served our country's army. You become part of history, and it gives you a chance to create it (remember in school history is all about wars and soldiers) :)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

thank you

Comment

Franco

I had sent you a private message. I don't think you read it.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X