Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP Khan defects to Tories

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Top...howbyline=True

Liberal MP Wajid Khan has crossed the floor and joined the Conservatives, meaning Prime Minister Stephen Harper can push for a majority vote with the help of Jack Layton's NDP.

The Conservatives now have 125 of 308 seats in the House of Commons.
    "The combination of the Conservatives and the NDP (29 seats) gives you 154 seats -- a majority you need," reported CTV's David Akin. House Speaker Peter Milliken - a Liberal -- does not vote.
    "This makes Jack Layton and the NDP much more important."
    Harper announced the defection Friday in Ottawa.
    "We have built a party that welcomes all Canadians," said Harper. "That's why I'm proud to announce that Wajid Khan, the representative from Mississauga-Streetsville, is joining the Conservative caucus."
    Harper said Khan put Canada before his party after the alleged terrorism arrests in Toronto last year when he offered to help the Conservatives.
    Harper then named Khan, a former fighter pilot in the Pakistani military, as his adviser on the Middle East and Afghanistan during last summer's Mideast crisis between Israel and Lebanon.
    "He will continue as my advisor on issues related to the Middle East and Central Asia," Harper said Friday.
    Khan said the Conservatives' commitment to new Canadians helped influence his decision.
    "I have noticed that more and more Canadians are excited about joining the Conservative party... I came to the conclusion that my ideals and priorities and those of my constituents would be better served in the Conservative party," Khan said Friday, alongside the Prime Minister.
    "I was very pleased when Prime Minister Harper agreed that I should join Canada's new government."
    Khan said his former Liberal party was at odds with his values.
    "Quite frankly, the Liberal party has moved away from people like me -- people who believe in free enterprise, support for families and a stronger, more assertive Canada on the world stage."
    Khan said he informed Liberal Leader Stephane Dion of his decision on Friday.
    "I respect Mr. Dion but I feel that Canada needs a leader and that leader is Prime Minister Stephen Harper."
    Dion had told Khan to choose between his party and the Conservatives.
    He said Khan could not continue serving as Harper's 'special adviser' and remain a Liberal.
    "It is with regret that I have received word of Mr. Khan's decision to leave the Liberal Caucus and join the Conservative Party," Dion said Friday.
    "As a member of the Liberal Party of Canada, I was never comfortable with Mr. Khan serving as an advisor to a Conservative Prime Minister, as Mr. Khan has done since August of last year. As Leader of the Party, I felt it imperative that he decide to which party he would ultimately be loyal. Mr. Khan has now made that decision."
    Khan said Dion's public ultimatum forced him to make a decision.
    "When I'm given a choice to choose between a political party and my country, I will always choose Canada."
    On Thursday, Harper unveiled a newly expanded cabinet and moved Rona Ambrose out of her environment portfolio in an attempt to recover political ground lost in the debate on climate change.
    In all, five new junior cabinet positions were created and eight ministers took on new roles or switched posts as Harper moved to overhaul his minority government with the threat of a looming spring election.
    Khan, 60, emigrated to Canada in 1974 and was a successful businessman in Toronto before entering politics.
    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Ontario MP Khan leaves Liberals to join Tories

Ontario MP Khan leaves Liberals to join Tories

Ontario MP Wajid Khan is leaving the Liberals to join the Tories, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced on Friday.

"I am proud to announce today that Wajid Khan, the member of Parliament for Mississauga-Streetsville, is joining our Conservative caucus," Harper told a news conference on Friday, with Khan at his side.

"I believe that this gesture made by Mr. Khan is a positive message for all Canadians — new Canadians as well as Canadians who have been here for a long time: In our party, there is room for all Canadians," he said.

Khan, formerly a pilot in the Pakistani military, told reporters that while "politics makes strange bedfellows … nothing about my decision to join the Conservative caucus feels strange to me.

"The best leader for Canada is the man who now has the job, Mr. Harper," he said.

As a Liberal MP, Khan has served Harper since August as a consultant on the Middle East and Afghanistan.

Read more here: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...ct-070105.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Mr.Dion has really shot himself in the foot.

Mr. Khan was consulting the Conservatives on the Middle East including Afghanistan, and during the Israeli-Lebanon crisis. The simple fact that Mr.Khan was consulting the LEADER of Canada shows that he values working for canadians, rather than for his own political colours.

Mr.Dion is obviously blind to what being leader for Canadian means. It does not mean putting your party before the Canadian people.
      Mr. Khan wanted to help the Canadian people with his expertise, the only way to do that was through the current government.

Mr.Dion has shown Canada, that he is just another Liberal looking to lead the Liberals into power, where they can once again enjoy there old boys club at 24 Sussex drive
      Last edited by Canmoore; 06 Jan 07,, 21:27.

Comment

Its a shame really. I want my leader to lead Canada, not simply his party over the others for a personal victory. Dion should have simply acknowledged Khans defection and left it at that. Complainging that he never really had faith in the man doesn't do wonders for the other party members loyalty's.

IMO the Liberals continue to display the partisanship that turned me away from their idea's, both with the other party's and internationaly.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

I admire Dion's initiative to ensure that Liberal members are fully dedicated to our party by making Khan choose, and I do not blame this defection on him--he had noble intentions, and we need to ensure that we have a fully dedicated team so that we can fare better in legislative votes and, by way of improving the party's image, through elections. Crossing the floor doesnt do well for a party's reputation, but its better than having an MP with multiple sympathies (when you elected a partisan MP whom you hoped would help fulfil the mandate of that party).

It infuriates me that Khan betrayed his constituents by crossing the floor. Khan worked as an advisor to the Harper government on the middle east, and although he was an opposition politican, I never had a problem with him doing that. In countries with legislative assemblies that elect by proportional representation, the head of government often incorporates politicans from many different parties into their portfolio. This is strange from the standpoint of the extremely partisan Westminister System, but Khan was probably the overall best man for the job as advisor, and due to this I supported his efforts on the middle east project.

Crossing the floor was not necessary. I feel that he could have concievably maintained his position in the liberal party and continued working for the government strictly as an advisor on regional issues. Although the Westminister system's partisan nature ensures that their is very smooth co-operation between the PM and his cabinet and advisors, it fails to allow for a diversity of viewpoints in the government's executive branch--something that is found in governments with a proportional system.
          Last edited by ajtigger; 12 Jan 07,, 02:10.
          "Reality has a well-known liberal bias".

Comment

I never had a problem with him doing that.
            Dion did. He forced Khan to choose. You seem to simultaneously agree with the ultimatum and think it was fine for Khan to be an adviser to the PM. You can't have it both ways.

It infuriates me that Khan betrayed his constituents by crossing the floor.
            Given the fact that you say "we" with regard to the Liberal Party, I gather you had somewhat less of a problem with Belinda Stronach crossing the floor to become a minister in the Liberal government...

I have found much to like in Liberal ideology lately, but I'm sorry, that post was nothing but partisanship.

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar View Post
              Dion did. He forced Khan to choose. You seem to simultaneously agree with the ultimatum and think it was fine for Khan to be an adviser to the PM. You can't have it both ways.
              Well, I differ from Dion on many points. I actually wanted Iggy in leadership, but that's besides the point.

I do have a problem with Khan defecting to the tories, but I did not have a problem with him working for the Canadian Government as an advisor to the middle east. Partisanship doesnt hinder these kinds of things in many legislative systems, and it certainly shouldn't in ours. I know where Dion was coming from, and what bothered me was that Khan has historically been a tory in sympathy, and that he was simply giving way to that in crossing the floor. If he really is a tory-at-heart, as many who know him say, than he shouldn't have run for the liberals in the first place. As you know, many immigrant politicians run liberal because immigrant liberal politicans are often guaranteed a victory in certain constituencies. So, in a sense, Dion's ultimatium had merit. But, if you were to specifically ask me if I had a problem with him, being a liberal MP, working as an advisor for Harper on the middle east, I would say no.

I was actually mad at Belinda Stronach for betraying her constituents by crossing the floor. I tend to value democratic integrity over partisanship, and I see phony immigrant liberal MPs who run liberal to get elected and then cross the floor at first opportunity, as violators of democratic integrity. Although his constituents are losing their vote, at least they are rid of a fake and will have an opportunity to avenge his betrayal at the next election. The statement needed to be made by Dion to his caucus, being the leader of a party with such a problem. It was a hard move, but one that was necessary.
              Last edited by ajtigger; 12 Jan 07,, 03:22.

Comment

WB atrigger

Khan defected because he wants a leader to lead this country, and he didnt see that in Dion, however he did in Harper.

I think he is right, Dion is not a leader. The other night on the rick mercer show, Mercer was trying his very hardest to make the show with Dion funny, but the guy is so void of any sence of humour, personality or anything. One part that made me laugh, was when Mercer threw a frisbee so that Dion's dog would chase after it, when the dog didnt give chase, Dion ran after the frisbee instead.

The guys a complete flake, I dont want a flake running my country. Harper is an introvert also, but at least is a strong leader. If in the position of PM I can see Dion being no better than Martin, doing the fish out of water act, flip-flopping on important issues, and ruling by the polls. That! is not how you lead a country
                Last edited by Canmoore; 12 Jan 07,, 04:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                  WB atrigger

Khan defected because he wants a leader to lead this country, and he didnt see that in Dion, however he did in Harper.

I think he is right, Dion is not a leader. The other night on the rick mercer show, Mercer was trying his very hardest to make the show with Dion funny, but the guy is so void of any sence of humour, personality or anything. One part that made me laugh, was when Mercer threw a frisbee so that Dion's dog would chase after it, when the dog didnt give chase, Dion ran after the frisbee instead.

The guys a complete flake, I dont want a flake running my country. Harper is an introvert also, but at least is a strong leader. If in the position of PM I can see Dion being no better than Martin, doing the fish out of water act, flip-flopping on important issues, and ruling by the polls. That! is not how you lead a country
                  Hi Canmoore,

Well whether or not you consider Harper to be a good leader is kind of besides the question here. In my view, it all comes down to the fact that on many levels, he betrayed his constituents--he played them like a flute by running liberal when he himself knew he was just doing that to get votes in a surefire liberal and immigrant-dominated constituency, and then used a golden opportunity to become "Harper's advisor on the Middle East" and gain more influence in the party that he really sought to be a part of. His constituents wanted a liberal to represent them, and they get the opposite.

People who are familiar with him have said that he has always been a conservative at heart.

To me, it is not the leader's persona that counts--it is what is coming out of his mouth. I am not a big fan of Dion either, as I mentioned I supported Ignatieff for leadership, and my favourite party leader right now is Elizabeth May. That is based on what I have seen of her in leadership debates and on Mansbridge one-on-one.

I guess Khan's admiration for Harper, as he has talked about himself, had coaxed him into making that decision, and caused him to reflect on the fact that he was sitting accross from the party that he really wanted to be a member of.
                  Last edited by ajtigger; 12 Jan 07,, 04:36.

Comment

I've said it many times before, I have voted Liberal, but I will never vote Liberal with their current Partisan political strategy that has been going on for several years now.

I want my leader to inspire everyone, on both sides of the spectrum, not just those who share his political ideals. Harper isn't an incredible leader but Dion certainly dosn't inspire a lot of confidence in me.

I never thought I'd say this but I hope the Conservatives work out an agreement with the NDP so we can have a stable government commited to getting things done. I may completely disagree with Layton, but at least he comes across as an informed and proactive man.
                    Last edited by smilingassassin; 13 Jan 07,, 06:38.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

I may completely disagree with Layton, but at least he comes across as an informed and proactive man.
                      I am not contradicting you as you may be correct, but what he sounds like to me is a man who knows that the next election will not favour him and who therefore wants to make this Parliament work. While self-serving, I think it is the right attitude to have.

Comment

Does that mean Canada is not run by Zoinists???
                        Some True Desi Goons- Bombay Rockers
                        youtube.com/watch?v=JHkjZ1Ae9ck[/url]

Comment

Khan has certain expertise, atrigger, expertise that the current Government needed. Why is it that Liberals should not help the current government, govern the country. Is that not there job? to serve Canadians? Or is do political parties not currently in power have this invisible wall, inhibiting them from helping Canadians?

If the Liberals were in power, and it was a Conservative who was helping them you would never hear this. But since its a Liberal helping the conservatives, it all of a sudden becomes a huge deal.

In todays Sun, there was a small article about how Khan has been disenchanted with his party for some time, this wasnt something that he just did on impulse.

Comment

Partisan politics does not serve the people and it seems several Liberal MP's have picked up on this. First Emerson and now Khan have defected. We can debate the finer points of their success (or as yet to be determined in Khans case) but the fact is they have at least attempted to work with the other party's.

Personally Dions showed just how much he values national security by pushing Khan to the conservative side, because he understands the very region which presents the most influence on national security, the Middle east. That was his advisory role and like it or not terrorism is our biggest threat. To me Khans defection is a good thing.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar View Post
                              I am not contradicting you as you may be correct, but what he sounds like to me is a man who knows that the next election will not favour him and who therefore wants to make this Parliament work. While self-serving, I think it is the right attitude to have.
                              Theres that too yes, Layton and I could have quite a heated debate in reguards to his ideas in reguards to our military and their role....

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Working...
                              X