PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone reading?

Wraith601
05 Jan 07,, 05:45
It's tmie agian for the semi regular thread where everyone lists the booms they're reading and what they plan to read in the near future.

I'm almost done with Cobra II and next up is Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and bin Laden, From the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001 and Charlie Wilson's War.

AxlRose86
18 Jan 07,, 17:54
Stephen King
WW2 History and read Soviets Tactics
ANYOTHER BOOKS I GET MY HANDS ON

sappersgt
18 Jan 07,, 18:52
I just finished WEB Griffins new novel "The Hunters". I am in the middle of "Disaster at D-Day" by Peter Tsouras, reccommended by someone on the WAB. :biggrin:

Wraith601
18 Jan 07,, 19:11
I actually stopped reading Ghost Wars because I wanted something a little lighter so I'm rereading David Poyer's The Passage for the about the third time.

CMartel
18 Jan 07,, 20:17
Guests of the Ayatollah.

Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero

Parihaka
18 Jan 07,, 22:49
Quicksilver, Confusion and The System of the World, for the second time.

Debbie
19 Jan 07,, 02:34
Hitler - Nemesis, 1936 - 1945 by Ian Kershaw

gunnut
19 Jan 07,, 20:29
Am I the only one here reading Calvin and Hobbes?

ashkon
20 Jan 07,, 07:17
Penthouse, christmas edition. lots of nice articles.

CMartel
24 Jan 07,, 01:48
Am I the only one here reading Calvin and Hobbes?

I think its just assumed that we are reading Calvin and Hobbes.

dave lukins
24 Jan 07,, 02:28
Einstein..In his own words

GVChamp
24 Jan 07,, 05:14
On the to-read list this semester (besides college books):

Infotopia: How many minds produce knowledge
War Made New
War and Peace
Flags of our Fathers
More stuff...can't remember it?

xerxes
24 Jan 07,, 05:40
Edward Gibbon’s The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Volume VI

Kansas Bear
24 Jan 07,, 05:50
"Age of Faith", by Will Durant.

SnowLeopard
24 Jan 07,, 10:15
We-ll......

My text books on endocrine systems and clinical neuropsychology; papers on andrenaline junkies; more papers on GIS and crisis management; then various books on investigations, such as rape, such as fire, such as using drugs in crime; my scuba texts, books on cave and ship diving, Clive Clusser's books on underwater archaeology; youth prostitution in eastern europe; a James White sci fi book (Space Litter); a book on combat surgery, another one on burn centers; then one on Tito; one by Dr. Nielsen, the doctor who had cancer down in Antarctica (IceBound) ........ to name a few. I'm sure there are others around my place, opened, with a book mark in them. Such as the one of the two missionary women rescued in Afghanistan. Or modern Pirates in the southern seas or one on Hitler's personal security (the last two are by the john).

And then like Ray said:

"WAB!

I wish it were not such an addiction and I had more spare time!"

How very true. I spend too much time here.
-----------------------------------------
("How can you read one book upside down?"--Mr. James
"Mr. James, have you ever read three books at once?"--Mathew Brock
"No,"
"Well, I have. Don't tell me how to do it.", (wtte), "NewsRadio")

soutie
24 Jan 07,, 10:53
still reading lord of the rings

Ray
24 Jan 07,, 19:18
WAB!

I wish it were not such an addiction and I had more spare time!

Can't say I am not benefiting!

Dreadnought
24 Jan 07,, 19:22
LostSubs...Bob Balliard. Almost done:)

Steezy
24 Jan 07,, 21:10
A Level Biology and Physics; textbooks, past papers and mark schemes. :mad:

SnowLeopard
24 Jan 07,, 21:36
LostSubs...Bob Balliard. Almost done:)

Did that one in 2004; it was one of my references, as well as other Ballard books like Explorations, for my work on Antiquity Theft.
--------------------------
("Been there, Done that,"--A Xena episode title)

Parihaka
24 Jan 07,, 22:06
Just started The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes for a bit of light entertainment.

glyn
24 Jan 07,, 23:07
A snooty and rather threatening letter from the bank manager!:confused:

Lunatock
25 Jan 07,, 03:52
I just finished reading Cobra II. Second half is a good account of the invasion of Iraq. First half had me saying "great ghost of dookie Rumsfeld sucked!"

gunnut
12 Feb 07,, 23:16
The Zombie Survival Guide.

Amazon.com: The Zombie Survival Guide: Books: Max Brooks (http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Max-Brooks/dp/071563318X/sr=8-1/qid=1171318552/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6681820-7013422?ie=UTF8&s=books)

CMartel
13 Feb 07,, 01:56
<------------------- Infidel

xerxes
13 Feb 07,, 04:46
Currently, I am reading the Rise and Fall of the Soviet Empire by Brian Crozier

I just finished reading Cobra II. Second half is a good account of the invasion of Iraq. First half had me saying "great ghost of dookie Rumsfeld sucked!"

could you expain more on the book ... also would Cobra I be on gulf war I

xerxes
13 Feb 07,, 04:47
still reading lord of the rings

I have read that book 4 times already ... lol

Wraith601
13 Feb 07,, 05:25
could you expain more on the book ... also would Cobra I be on gulf war I

It summarizes the planning (or lack thereof) of both the combat and postcombat stages of Operation Iraqi Freedom, as well as givena very detailed summary of the war itself and some analysis of why the postwar situation has proved so difficult. An extremely interesting read.

Also, the original Operation Cobra was the major breakout from the Normandy pocket in WWII.

brak
13 Feb 07,, 06:36
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0609604465.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0609805673.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.stockmarket.co.nz/images/warren.jpg

Kansas Bear
13 Feb 07,, 07:54
"Monks of War:The Military Religious Orders" by Desmond Seward

JBG
13 Feb 07,, 09:38
Carlyon's "Great War" and Lundstrom's "Guadacanal ( sic ) and the First Team". I continue to pour over my growing Friedman collection.

Jonathan

Callmecur
13 Feb 07,, 09:50
The Damage Done by Australian Warren Fellows - his story of 12 years in a Bangkok prison following a conviction for possession of heroin in 1978. Seems like the Thai's do things the right way with regard to drugs and the condition of their prisons!

JG73
13 Feb 07,, 13:51
'Die Ottonen'Amazon.com: Die Ottonen: Königsherrschaft ohne Staat (Kohlhammer Urban-Taschenbücher): Books: Gerd Althoff (http://www.amazon.com/Die-Ottonen-K%C3%B6nigsherrschaft-Kohlhammer-Urban-Taschenb%C3%BCcher/dp/3170153226/sr=8-7/qid=1171370925/ref=sr_1_7/104-9549432-4215161?ie=UTF8&s=books)

geurtjalink
18 Feb 07,, 09:55
Edward Gibbon’s The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Volume VI

in the 60 the A-bomb we think the end man-kind:eek:
tnow we KNOW automobiles is pollution the end man-kind
our world leaders sit do nothing burn oil :eek:
T-ford and off-spring killing GLOBAL WARMING :rolleyes:
that called progress I think roman way is better

brak
18 Feb 07,, 11:03
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/246/069102787001ss500sclzzzgl3.jpg

jame$thegreat
19 Feb 07,, 00:20
Are you on any other forums by the name xerxes88 or 89 or something like that?

Spot379th
19 Feb 07,, 03:21
15 short stories for English 1302,
Physics 1304 (Astronomy),
College Algebra 1314,
Concert Choir (working on several pieces of English & Latin songs),
Private Voice (probably 1 Italian & 1 English songs).

xerxes
19 Feb 07,, 04:55
Are you on any other forums by the name xerxes88 or 89 or something like that?

No sir, I refuse to register on a forum if the name - xerxes - is not available :biggrin:

sappersgt
19 Feb 07,, 18:53
Just finished "Step On A Crack" by James Patterson with Micheal Ledwidge. Starting "Along Way Gone-Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah:biggrin:

MarquezRazor
19 Feb 07,, 19:15
Went to the book fair,got some books.

1.Collection of Hercule Poirot short tsories by Agatha Christie.
2.War and Peace Leo Tolstoy.
3.2 volumes of Jules Verne.

Started reading Agatha Christie,(first time)but I like Sherlock Holmes wayyyy better.

The Chap
20 Feb 07,, 10:51
"Lexikon der gesampten Therapie"

Both volumes. Liberated - if you will - from a recent trip to Riga. Sick Nazi bastards. Who knew they had so much venerial disease. Even in '35. Dirty perverts!

RedArmySurplus
20 Feb 07,, 11:04
halfway through guerrilla warfare by che guevara

sappersgt
28 Feb 07,, 00:00
Tuesday is when the new books come out at Barnes & Noble. Today I picked up Harold Coyle's (with Barrett Tillman) new novel Pandora's Legion, It's been a while for anything new by him, I'm looking forward to reading it. :biggrin:

brak
13 Mar 07,, 04:46
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9544/0141011211xv5.jpg

GAU-8
13 Mar 07,, 16:47
"Khrushchev's Cold War" by Aleksandr Fursenko and Timothy Naftali. A great read. Unfortunately, the research access given to these writers has been reduced by the Putin government for future writers/researchers of the Cold War.

Next on deck for me:
"1491" By Charles Mann. "New revelations of the Americas before Columbus."

"Mornings On Horseback" by David McCullough. "The story of an extraordinary family, a vanished way of life, and the unique child who became Theodore Roosevelt." Everything I've read by McCullough so far has been excellent.

"The End Of Barbary Terror" by Frederick Leiner. "Americas's 1815 war against the pirates of North Africa."

Dreadnought
13 Mar 07,, 17:43
Construction methods: A fire science for college.

TopHatter
13 Mar 07,, 19:33
Just finished both of Michael Durant's books, Night Stalkers and In The Company Of Heros.

He's got a terrific writing style, I hope he has more books planned.

Wraith601
14 Mar 07,, 05:03
Tuesday is when the new books come out at Barnes & Noble. Today I picked up Harold Coyle's (with Barrett Tillman) new novel Pandora's Legion, It's been a while for anything new by him, I'm looking forward to reading it. :biggrin:

I haven't really enjoyed anything Harold Coyle has written since Sword Point.

Also, I'm nearly done with Charlie Wilson's War now (though it's taken me nearly a month, an extremely long time by my standards) and I'm either gonna start Chain of Command by Casper Weinberger or Ghost Wars by Steve Coll next.

Amled
15 Mar 07,, 13:59
As I was laid up for a while, a friend gave me the John Meaney “Nulaperion” trilogy, as she said, “if I couldn’t exercise my body, I could use it to exercise my mind”.
She was correct, this is the best Science Fiction I’ve read in many a year. It’s hard SF with a emphasis on Science, I can readily recommend it to all who enjoy SF, but if you’re not fully up on current physics and biology, (as I wasn’t) then “get ready to Google” if you want full enjoyment.

Parihaka
15 Mar 07,, 22:05
As I was laid up for a while, a friend gave me the John Meaney “Nulaperion” trilogy, as she said, “if I couldn’t exercise my body, I could use it to exercise my mind”.
She was correct, this is the best Science Fiction I’ve read in many a year. It’s hard SF with a emphasis on Science, I can readily recommend it to all who enjoy SF, but if you’re not fully up on current physics and biology, (as I wasn’t) then “get ready to Google” if you want full enjoyment.

Cool, I'll keep it in mind:)

sappersgt
15 Mar 07,, 22:38
"Sixty Days and Counting" by Kim Stanley Robinson.

McFire
15 Mar 07,, 22:55
I'm currently reading "Black Water" (The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army) by Jeremy Scahill. It's pretty interesting so far, but I don't how how hyped-up and sensationalized it is because the author is an investigative journalist.
Next up will be "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown.

highsea
15 Mar 07,, 23:33
Almost finished with Cobra II.

BudW
16 Mar 07,, 01:16
A World Undone-G.Jj. Meyer-about WW1 excellent read so far.

exported_kiwi
19 Mar 07,, 10:40
Recently, I just finished "The bear and the dragon" by Ton Clancy. I was extremely surprised to find such a novel available in China because the dragon part of the title is about China and a hypothetical war with Russia(bear) over newly discovered oli and gold resources in Siberia, and excellent read!
I'm a big fan of WEB Griffin and have read many of his books, but they're so damned hard to find over here in China! Actually, where I live, any decent geopolitical/military novel is kinda hard to find and when found, although cheap in $, are damned expensive in the local currency (RMB). I'm only a poor English teacher here so trips to HK are out but I try to find, and buy, a new novel every couple of months so I can re-read when the local English language newspaper has a slow news day!

xerxes
19 Mar 07,, 19:07
This is what I am reading ... I am almost at page 3

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/world-affairs-board-pub/33629-whats-everyone-reading-3.html

crooks
19 Mar 07,, 23:51
"Jennifer Government" by Max barry.

A good book, if a little scary, due to it's "Capitalizm" :eek: .

sappersgt
01 Apr 07,, 08:10
Just finished "Breakpoint" by Richard A. Clarke. Starting "the Changing Face of War" by Martin Van Creveld.

667medic
01 Apr 07,, 10:15
Reading this now

"Chinese-Soviet relations, 1937-1945 : the diplomacy of Chinese nationalism" by Garver, John W.

Bluesman
01 Apr 07,, 16:18
'Alien Sex', 'South Park Conservatives', and 'Team of Rivals'.

Draconion
01 Apr 07,, 22:46
Recently, I just finished "The bear and the dragon" by Ton Clancy. I was extremely surprised to find such a novel available in China because the dragon part of the title is about China and a hypothetical war with Russia(bear) over newly discovered oli and gold resources in Siberia, and excellent read!

That is one big book!!

I read the book sometime back. Nice one it is.

I just finished with "The angles weep" by Wilbur Smith.

Love that guy, he writes well.

glyn
02 Apr 07,, 00:07
Although I'm not reading it at the moment, I can recommend 'Three Cheers for Me' by Donald Jack as it is by far the funniest book I've ever read. If you do read it you will want to read all the other titles by this author.

wkllaw
02 Apr 07,, 01:31
The books that tell of a alternate reality and that comprise of more than one book by Harry Turtledove.

Shek
02 Apr 07,, 02:45
Amazon.com: Night Draws Near: Iraq's People in the Shadow of America's War: Books: Anthony Shadid (http://www.amazon.com/Night-Draws-Near-People-Americas/dp/0312426038/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0438121-3920159?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175474298&sr=8-1)

Only 30 pages into it, but it's been very illuminating so far about the thoughts of Iraqis about Saddam and OIF.

sappersgt
02 Apr 07,, 03:20
The books that tell of a alternate reality and that comprise of more than one book by Harry Turtledove.

I like Turtledove's books. I have 12 of them on the shelf the last of which I haven't started yet, "Beyond the Gap".

astralis
02 Apr 07,, 04:16
sappersgt,

turtledove has got some interesting ideas, alright. while his biggest sells are the alternative history of the civil war leading to an alternate WWI and WWII, i feel his best works are the ones regarding the ancient world (his PhD is in byzantine history).

currently reading the "axis of time" trilogy by john birmingham. and on a more serious note, "prince of the marshes", by rory stewart.

Amazon.com: The Prince of the Marshes: And Other Occupational Hazards of a Year in Iraq: Books: Rory Stewart (http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Marshes-Other-Occupational-Hazards/dp/0151012350)

Parihaka
02 Apr 07,, 05:27
Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People
:sighs:

wkllaw
02 Apr 07,, 16:20
i feel his best works are the ones regarding the ancient world
In my opinion, harry Turtledove's best work are ones that are longer than just one book, those books shows good character development and how people and things change over time. The ones on timeline 191 is a excellent example, I particularly like how he portrays the characters and the way he draws parallels with the universe he made and our actual universe.

JBG
03 Apr 07,, 10:05
I have just got hold of a copy of Tony ( AG, check out his website ) Williams "Rapid Fire" whch is concerned with heavy machine guns and light automatic cannon.

If you are interested in guns of a more military bent, I thoroughly recommend this book.

BTW, still trying to finish Lundstrom's "First Team and the Guadacanal Campaign". I think that perhaps I might browse it for yewars to come.

Jonathan

THL
10 Apr 07,, 13:57
This is not going to be of much interest to the majority of the people on the WAB, but to those with small to moderately aged children in their lives:

I bought a book called "Who Is A Stranger and What Should I Do?" (Amazon.com Link (http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Should-Albert-Whitman-Prairie/dp/0807590169) and it was pretty good for the wee one. Real, normal words were used, but it was not too hard to understand for my almost 5 year old. I can see easily how a 10 year old or so could read it on their own.

With my small one going to Kindergarten in the fall, I have frantically decided I need to start the Stranger Danger again (I started too early last time and ended up with her yelling "stranger, help!" at an elderly woman in the market practically scaring the woman to death and causing everyone to look in her direction which made for a rather embarassing situation for said elderly woman and myself. I bet that woman does not comment on how pretty a kids shoes are again, though).

Southie
10 Apr 07,, 15:36
Cosmo and when I need something a little more thrilling, I read Stephen King. The Stand really get's me going on the tread climber.

Kansas Bear
10 Apr 07,, 15:45
A Peace to End all Peace by David Fromkin

GAU-8
10 Apr 07,, 15:58
I'm finishing "Khrushcev's Cold War" by Aleksandr Fursenko and Timothy Naftali. It's an excellent insight into the Soviet side of the Cold War that hasn't been available prior to 2003. The Soviet archives used to write the book were only made available recently. Unfortunately, Putin is closing down the access to these records for further studies.

glyn
10 Apr 07,, 19:04
A Peace to End all Peace by David Fromkin

Nothing like it for making me feel depressed! It is a valuable history of the state of the middle east immediately after WW1, and it is the victors of that war who made decisions about the region that in part has made the current conflicts inevitable.

sappersgt
11 Apr 07,, 07:57
John Ringo's (with Tom Kratman) latest novel, "Yellow Eyes". The human race once again defending earth from the Pos'leen.

leib10
18 Apr 07,, 08:19
Just finished Dead Center by Ed Kugler, a Marine sniper who served 2 years in Vietnam. Great book, absolutely mind boggling, the adventures he had. I highly recommend it.

sappersgt
15 May 07,, 22:19
Finished "Genghis, Birth Of An Empire" by Conn Iggulden (Field of Swords), "Deaths Head" by David Gunn and "Survival of the Sickest" by Dr. Sharon Moalem.

I hit the jack pot at Barnes & Noble. The new books come out on Tuesday. Novels by Dale Brown, Harold Coyle, John Sanford and Lee Child all came out this week. I be up late reading the next few nights!:biggrin:

chankya
15 May 07,, 22:29
The Occupation of Iraq: Winning the War, Losing the Peace - Ali A. Allawi

And "Going Postal" - Terry Pratchett

Shamus
15 May 07,, 23:01
Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People
:sighs:I've got yer back on this one,Pari,believe we have read the entire series.:biggrin:

Shamus
15 May 07,, 23:06
Re-reading "Uhuru" and "Something of Value" by Robert Ruark and just finished "Guns,Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond,very interesting book if a little dry.:)

FibrillatorD
16 May 07,, 03:04
It's tmie agian for the semi regular thread where everyone lists the booms they're reading and what they plan to read in the near future.

I know wht you mean. Nothigns worse than finding yourself drunk and wihtout a a good boom to read.

FibrillatorD
16 May 07,, 03:07
I'm working on some of Arthur Schopenhauer's Essays and Aphorisms.

Its proving to be a pleasant read.

Shek
16 May 07,, 03:58
Goodnight Moon

"In the great green room . . ."

Grim
17 May 07,, 11:57
I just finished nextwave agents of h.a.t.e. from MARVEL damn good comic book if you need to laugh.
I'm working on Distant Water by William W. Warner, about the North Atlantic Fishery 1950s to late 1970s
Guerrillas, Journeys in the insurgent world by Jon Lee Anderson.
Current Books on tape / CD are, Monstrous Regiment By Terry Pratchett and The Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar.
And thanks to WAB The Art of War by Henri De Jomini.

glyn
17 May 07,, 13:28
I am trying to make sense of the instruction manual ( a few bits of paper can hardly be considered a manual!) that came with my newly arrived aluminium greenhouse:eek: . As it was manufactured in Bolton, the text is in Northernese, which is a language understandable only by them. At first glance it appears to be English but none of the rules of grammar or even logic seem to apply:confused: . The number of spelling errors is doing nothing for my confidence in the firm. Needless to say, there are quite literally hundreds of pieces to be assembled! :mad:

Big K
17 May 07,, 14:37
Kan Uykusu -The Blood Slumber By Serdar Akinan

Unutulanlar Dışında Yeni Birşey Yok - Nothing New Except The Forgotten Ones By Osman Pamukoğlu (Major General T.A.F.-ret.)

These two books are about the struggle against PKK Terrorism between 1993-1995. these years are important because T.A.F. has changed his main doctrine and left the stationary defensive position, instead of this they started to make a irregular war (sorry about poor translating, maybe our military prof. members can correct me) which is a kind of Guerilla-like war.

Thanks to Major General Osman Pamukoğlu (ret.) and his tactics...

i think you (all military members) may find it interesting. a lot of pictures in this link.
KAN UYKUSU (http://www.kanuykusu.com/operasyon1.php) like:

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/13.jpg
Monument of Martyrs

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/21.jpg

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/5.jpg

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/30.jpg
it is a very hard place and weather conditions to even find the enemy

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/50.jpg

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/63.jpg

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/85.jpg
captured PKK weapons

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/100.jpg
Broken Bridge near Hakkari

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/141.jpg

http://www.kanuykusu.com/images/operasyon_fotolar/buyuk/115.jpg

sappersgt
23 May 07,, 03:16
Finishing up "Cat And Mouse" by Harold Coyle. Today picked up "The Quest" by Wilbur Smith and "Requiem For An Assassin" by Barry Eisler at Barnes & Noble.

Ray
23 May 07,, 06:17
Just finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseni. A fiction based on Afghanistan.

Reading now, "The Chamber" by John Grisham. Have a feeling that I have read it before.

FibrillatorD
23 May 07,, 06:42
DNA computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_computer)

es_bih
23 May 07,, 06:49
The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, ca. 1356AD, very interesting read, one of the foremost travel works of the 14th century, which influenced many other writers after including Marco Polo.

crooks
23 May 07,, 21:27
"Bye Bye Belgium", in French :biggrin: .

Highly entertaining read, if you remember the fake broadcast in belgium a few years ago:

YouTube - Vlaanderen Onafhankelijk RTBF Terzake *COMPLEET* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPHGo-LIEE&mode=related&search=)

It pretended that Belgium had split in to two countries, and my, my was it funny to see those crazy walloons panic :).

perfectgeneral
24 May 07,, 04:52
The Stars My Destination/ Tiger!Tiger! by Alfred Bester

Berkis
24 May 07,, 07:37
The Thirty years war, by Cicely Wedgwood. Richelieu at his best.

BD1
24 May 07,, 08:45
M.van Creveld - Transformation of War . And some Terry Pratchett

RedArmySurplus
24 May 07,, 10:00
red storm rising -Tom Clancy

Southie
24 May 07,, 13:34
Lisey's Story - Stephen King

entropy
24 May 07,, 17:55
I am not reading yet, because I'm looking for a good book, whether fiction or not, about the South African Border War, Executive Outcomes, and conflicts in Black Africa in general.

Perhaps the ex-SADF gentlemen Soutie and Sappersgt know something?

Bob Jones
24 May 07,, 19:39
Not currently reading anything at the moment, but some of the more memorable books have read have been a books called, "The Paladin" set in WW2, tells the story of a young boy who ended up becoming a spy for Winston Churchill, there is, allegedly, some truth to it, the second is a fictional book based on fact called, "Greenbeach", whch again set in WW2 tells the tale of the Canadian assault on the French coast and to escort a techy up to a Radar site, to retrieve Radar equipment, the reason I mention these two is that, in all the books I have read I have never before found one that cross references the other,

Bob Jones
24 May 07,, 19:44
Why would it not use the word, B.O.F.F.I.N, does it have some insulting or disgusting conertation that I am not aware of, as far as I concerned its a slang term for, scientist, and always has been???

sappersgt
24 May 07,, 20:26
I am not reading yet, because I'm looking for a good book, whether fiction or not, about the South African Border War, Executive Outcomes, and conflicts in Black Africa in general.

Perhaps the ex-SADF gentlemen Soutie and Sappersgt know something?

South African Border War books - Military Photos (http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82920)

Here's a fairly long list of non-fiction books on the Border War. For fiction try Larry Bonds "Vortex", although fiction it does contain a description of at least one operation that really happened.:)

sappersgt
24 May 07,, 20:32
Why would it not use the word, B.O.F.F.I.N, does it have some insulting or disgusting conertation that I am not aware of, as far as I concerned its a slang term for, scientist, and always has been???

****'in as in ****ing, meaning to ****?

glyn
24 May 07,, 22:26

I ended up with a row of asterisks when I used it some months ago.

Bob Jones
25 May 07,, 20:29
Sapper, whatever that means, the only other term, I`ve known it to be used for is passing wind, or to put it poiltely, bottom coughing

sappersgt
25 May 07,, 23:16
Sapper, whatever that means, the only other term, I`ve known it to be used for is passing wind, or to put it poiltely, bottom coughing

That's the interesting thing about the WAB being multi um, cultural. :biggrin:

Big K
30 May 07,, 14:15
i wonder if Sven Hassel's books are true or fiction?

i've read all of them, great novel but what about the truths?

do anybody know something about this?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jimthing/liquidateparis.jpg

glyn
30 May 07,, 15:20
[QUOTE=Big K;377544]i wonder if Sven Hassel's books are true or fiction?

i've read all of them, great novel but what about the truths?

do anybody know something about this?

Pulp fiction I'm afraid using the Third Reich as the canvas. Very superior fiction of that period has been written by H.H.Kirst.

mohassan
02 Jun 07,, 20:05
The Great War for Civilisation : The Conquest of the Middle East - Robert Fisk

leib10
03 Jun 07,, 22:12
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy. Loved the games, book is pretty good too.

BD1
03 Jun 07,, 22:25
Winnie the Pooh . :redface: . 5th time

Triple C
03 Jun 07,, 22:27
Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground and re-reading John Keegan's The Second World War.

JBG
04 Jun 07,, 11:28
I have just picked up a copy of Olson's "Tales from a Tin Can".

Big K, I read Hassell's novels when young and enjoyed them though later I worked out that they were somewhat "gung ho".

Jonathan

xrough
04 Jun 07,, 12:02
Harry Potter..I've already read up to the 6th book "the halfblood prince"..though i don't own any just borrow from a friend..:biggrin: :biggrin:

devgupt
04 Jun 07,, 13:42
Hi
I am threading Third World War by Humphry Hawksley, About a fictious events in asia which leads world into war

RedArmySurplus
04 Jun 07,, 14:01
im reading "Red Army" by Ralph Peters, its about a soviet attack of West Germany, it shows the battle only from the soviet perspective, which makes it pretty interesting.

leib10, rainbow six is a good book and a damn good game to boot, i got vegas a coupla months ago, i love it.

Big K
04 Jun 07,, 14:45
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy. Loved the games, book is pretty good too.

yess it is a great book but its games are not user friendly.

Ray
04 Jun 07,, 15:16
'for one more day' by Mitch Albom

Shek
04 Jun 07,, 15:23
Amazon.com: The Undercover Economist: Exposing Why the Rich Are Rich, Why the Poor Are Poor--And Why You Can Never Buy a Decent Used Car!: Books: Tim Harford (http://www.amazon.com/Undercover-Economist-Exposing-Poor-Decent/dp/0345494016/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0438121-3920159?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180963375&sr=8-1)

sappersgt
14 Jun 07,, 05:46
Today I picked up a copy of "Stalin's Ghost" by Martin Cruz Smith. It's been a while since he's published anything. His book "Gorky Park" and the subsequent movie are only time I've seen the dialogue on the screen match the book verbatim.:cool:

Shamus
14 Jun 07,, 05:51
Today I picked up a copy of "Stalin's Ghost" by Martin Cruz Smith. It's been a while since he's published anything. His book "Gorky Park" and the subsequent movie are only time I've seen the dialogue on the screen match the book verbatim.:cool:"Gorky Park" was a great book Sarge,I didn't even know about his new one,thank you very much:) .

RustyBattleship
14 Jun 07,, 06:15
I was trying to read and understand a 1040X (IRS amendment) and wondering if padded cells are as comfortable as they say they are.

Then my wife made a 10 minute phone call to Fresno IRS and straightened the whole thing out.

zraver
14 Jun 07,, 06:58
Currently ready 2 books

Protectors War (book 2 o fthe Dies the Fire series by RM Stirling)

Tank Rider- Into the the Third Reich with the Red Army (memoirs of a tankdetski infantryman) by Evgeni Bessonov

sappersgt
14 Jun 07,, 07:21
Currently ready 2 books

Protectors War (book 2 o fthe Dies the Fire series by RM Stirling)

Tank Rider- Into the the Third Reich with the Red Army (memoirs of a tankdetski infantryman) by Evgeni Bessonov

I also liked Stirlings "Conquistador".:cool: What did you think of Tank Rider? Who would of thought that having the fewest number of casualties would get you passed over for promotion. Tough army. :eek:

entropy
14 Jun 07,, 10:59
Today I picked up a copy of "Stalin's Ghost" by Martin Cruz Smith. It's been a while since he's published anything. His book "Gorky Park" and the subsequent movie are only time I've seen the dialogue on the screen match the book verbatim.:cool:

Thank you for your links on the SADF books. Now all I have to do is find them!

If you want to read about Stalin, I suggest his biography by Eduard Radzinsky (spelling may differ). Very thick collection of works, but can be found on a good online library. Gives excellent insights in the mind and the works of the man, and how criminal traditions were so well translated into one of the world's most cruel and inhumane, yet efficient regimes.

One more SADF-related question (I've got really hooked on them since I visited South Africa last year)
In the film Blood Diamond, when Danny and Solomon are overwatching the rebel camp and Danny contacts the Outcomes, he asks them to send in the [Dakkadak]. Is is a term for a helicopter in general, an attack helicopter or an airstrike?

THL
19 Jun 07,, 02:27
Aftermath, Inc.: Cleaning Up After CSI Goes Home (http://www.aftermathinc.com/pages/book.html)

A book about a crime and trauma clean up company (http://www.aftermathinc.com/index.php)started here in a town near my home.

Very interesting...I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!:)

speedlover1994
19 Jun 07,, 04:26
Rainbow Six...it's such an amazing book!

My queue has Black Hawk Down, Inside Delta Force, Alien: Nightmare Asylum, Scorpions and Shooter. I also have to read Killer Angels and A Seprate Piece for school

Kansas Bear
02 Jul 07,, 23:58
"The Wealth and Poverty of Nations" by David Landes

Southie
03 Jul 07,, 00:27
"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. Recommended as good reading and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Shek
03 Jul 07,, 03:52
Amazon.com: Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life: Books: David D. Friedman (http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Order-Economics-Everyday-Life/dp/0887308856/ref=sr_1_1/102-0438121-3920159?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183427553&sr=8-1)

astralis
03 Jul 07,, 04:30
just finished the videssos series by harry turtledove. i'm waiting for his new alternate WWII book finale to come out (In at the Death).

Canmoore
03 Jul 07,, 05:18
Moby Dick cant say enough good things about this book, pick up a copy and haver her a go!

sappersgt
10 Jul 07,, 01:28
just finished the videssos series by harry turtledove. i'm waiting for his new alternate WWII book finale to come out (In at the Death).

Should be soon (I hope).The last one just came out in paperback.:cool:

I just finished the new StarFIST- Firestorm by David Sherman and Dan Craig. Today at Barnes & Noble I picked up a copy of John Ringos just released A Deeper Blue.:biggrin:

sappersgt
16 Aug 07,, 21:56

In At The Death came out on the shelves today, I snatched up the last copy they had. This is suppose to be the conclusion of the series. I wonder if he'll write a series about the peace (Marshall plan anyone?).:biggrin:

wkllaw
16 Aug 07,, 22:04
In At The Death came out on the shelves today, I snatched up the last copy they had. This is suppose to be the conclusion of the series. I wonder if he'll write a series about the peace (Marshall plan anyone?).:biggrin:

Sir, I'm a big fan of Harry Turtledove's works and I just read that book, the book seemed a bit inconclusive. There should be another book to wrap things up.

Do you think there will be a book similar to Homeward bound to end this or another series?

Perhaps a cold war between America and Germany.

astralis
16 Aug 07,, 22:13
haha, i just got In at the Death two days ago myself!

i hope there's a coda book (although i'm not sure there's going to be one). obviously in such a world, western influence is a good deal smaller, as the british empire fell that much sooner. even what we know as "western" is a good deal changed. germany's on top, the US is probably the most pleasant place to live, but this is a US which takes hostages in return for guerilla/terrorist attacks :eek: and which is thinking about an isolated island to cram all the mormons :eek:

from what i see, turtledove's next book will be one about atlantis; and currently he's working on a corrobrative online project which posits that if JFK had not been assassinated, the resulting security investigation would have led to his impeachment! very plausible IMHO...

The Impeachment and Trial of John F. Kennedy | Bryce Zabel & Harry Turtledove | WGAw #1119082 (http://bztv.typepad.com/altjfk/)

FibrillatorD
16 Aug 07,, 22:21
Still Life with Woodpecker. Tom Robbins

snc128
16 Aug 07,, 22:29
just finished "the schopenhauer cure" by Irvin D. Yalom

At one time or another, all of us have wondered what we'd do in the face of death. Suddenly confronted with his own mortality after a routine check-up, distinguished psychotherapist Julius Hertzfeld is forced to reexamine his life and work. He feels compelled to contact his patients of long ago. Has he really made an enduring difference in their lives? And what about the patients he failed to help? What has happened to them? Now that he was wiser and riper, can he rescue them yet?

Reaching beyond the safety of his thriving San Francisco practice, Julius feels compelled to seek out Philip Slate, whom he treated for sex addiction some twenty-three years earlier. At that time, Philip's only means of connecting to humans was through brief sexual interludes with countless women, and Julius's therapy did not change that. He meets with Philip who claims to have cured himself-by reading the pessimistic and misanthropic philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer.

Much to Julius's surprise, Philip has become a philosophical counselor and requests that Julius provide him with the supervisory hours he needs to obtain a license to practice. In return, Philip offers to tutor Julius in the work of Schopenhauer. Julius hesitates. How can Philip possibly become a therapist? He is still the same arrogant, uncaring, self-absorbed person he had always been. In fact, in every way he resembles his mentor, Schopenhauer. But eventually they strike a Faustian bargain: Julius agrees to supervise Philip, provided that Philip first join his therapy group. Julius is hoping that six months with the group will address Philip's misanthropy and that by being part of a circle of fellow patients he will develop the relationship skills necessary to become a therapist.

Philip enters the group, but he is more interested in educating the members in Schopenhauer's philosophy-which he claims is all the therapy anyone should need-than he is in their (or his) individual problems. Soon Julius and Philip, using very different therapy approaches, are competing for the hearts and minds of the group members. Is this going to be Julius's swan song-a splintered group and years of good work down the drain? Or will all the members, including Philip, find a way to rise to the occasion that brings with it the potential for extraordinary change.

This novel knits together fact and fiction and contains an accurate portrayal of group therapy in action as well as a presentation of the life and influence of Arthur Schopenhauer, Philip's personal guru and professional inspiration.

FibrillatorD
17 Aug 07,, 00:02
just finished "the schopenhauer cure" by Irvin D. Yalom

At one time or another, all of us have wondered what we'd do in the face of death. Suddenly confronted with his own mortality after a routine check-up, distinguished psychotherapist Julius Hertzfeld is forced to reexamine his life and work. He feels compelled to contact his patients of long ago. Has he really made an enduring difference in their lives? And what about the patients he failed to help? What has happened to them? Now that he was wiser and riper, can he rescue them yet?

Reaching beyond the safety of his thriving San Francisco practice, Julius feels compelled to seek out Philip Slate, whom he treated for sex addiction some twenty-three years earlier. At that time, Philip's only means of connecting to humans was through brief sexual interludes with countless women, and Julius's therapy did not change that. He meets with Philip who claims to have cured himself-by reading the pessimistic and misanthropic philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer.

Much to Julius's surprise, Philip has become a philosophical counselor and requests that Julius provide him with the supervisory hours he needs to obtain a license to practice. In return, Philip offers to tutor Julius in the work of Schopenhauer. Julius hesitates. How can Philip possibly become a therapist? He is still the same arrogant, uncaring, self-absorbed person he had always been. In fact, in every way he resembles his mentor, Schopenhauer. But eventually they strike a Faustian bargain: Julius agrees to supervise Philip, provided that Philip first join his therapy group. Julius is hoping that six months with the group will address Philip's misanthropy and that by being part of a circle of fellow patients he will develop the relationship skills necessary to become a therapist.

Philip enters the group, but he is more interested in educating the members in Schopenhauer's philosophy-which he claims is all the therapy anyone should need-than he is in their (or his) individual problems. Soon Julius and Philip, using very different therapy approaches, are competing for the hearts and minds of the group members. Is this going to be Julius's swan song-a splintered group and years of good work down the drain? Or will all the members, including Philip, find a way to rise to the occasion that brings with it the potential for extraordinary change.

This novel knits together fact and fiction and contains an accurate portrayal of group therapy in action as well as a presentation of the life and influence of Arthur Schopenhauer, Philip's personal guru and professional inspiration.

That sounds fascinating as hell.

Have you read any Schopenhauer? I've only discovered his Aphorisms and Essays, and thought it was a terrifyingly brilliant collection. Although after reading him firsthand the "misanthropic pessimist" aura about him seems misplaced. Instead, he reads as a paradoxically empathetic and lonely man, I thought. His views on death and suicide, women, and Will in particular all tumble from some sane/insane certainty in his own infallible brooding blessed intellect. Schopenhauer's insatiable appetite for women (consistent with his musings) makes Philip's cure by his philosophy particularly intriguing. I wonder if the author aims to append Arthur's philosphical gravestone?

Anyway, I was sold on the book review. Can't wait to read it.

Shamus
17 Aug 07,, 00:06

Have you read any Schopenhauer? I've only discovered his Aphorisms and Essays, and thought it was a terrifyingly brilliant collection. Although after reading him firsthand the "misanthropic pessimist" aura about him seems misplaced. Instead, he reads as a paradoxically empathetic and lonely man, I thought. His views on death and suicide, women, and Will in particular all tumble from some sane/insane certainty in his own infallible brooding blessed intellect. Schopenhauer's insatiable appetite for women (consistent with his musings) makes Philip's cure by his philosophy particularly intriguing. I wonder if the author aims to append Arthur's philosphical gravestone?

Anyway, I was sold on the book review. Can't wait to read it.Jeeeez....guy has a birthday and all of a sudden starts using all these multi-syllable words......Sheesh!;) :biggrin:

FibrillatorD
17 Aug 07,, 08:16
Jeeeez....guy has a birthday and all of a sudden starts using all these multi-syllable words......Sheesh!;) :biggrin:

Yeah, well, if given the chance Schopenhauer would likely tell me and any thespians within my parameter that we're all crazy for not killing ourselves immediately. The self-inflation can be contagious.

Mom said my nose would stop bleeding if I kept my finger out of there.

snc128
17 Aug 07,, 12:12

Anyway, I was sold on the book review. Can't wait to read it.

the book's itself contains a lot of parts from various schopenhauer studies. the author presents a surprising finish and i believe, this is because of the last study of schopenhauer "parerga and paralipomena".as far as i understand in parerga and paralipomena schopenahauer decided to make a U turn and has indicated more acceptable and universal ideas.more understandable and humanistic...this time ,he really must decided to devote himself to philosophy,eternal thinking.i mean,his evolution started when he realised that he was the captive of ppl and understood that his solution will no longer bring him profit likewise Philip started to question his attitude towards life.anyway,he by himself admited that he had devoted his whole life writing parerga and paralipomena and he had given many prises thanks to this study.
although he always indicated that he will be understood by next generations, his appetit for fame was beyond many thing in his life.

Schopenhauer's early studies contains much more hate than love and not mutually rivalries.
he tried to establish a world in the way he wanted.after unsuccessful attempts he started to ignore the humanity step by step.he was an emotional and emphatic man despite the infinite hate he had always exhibited.
and i have to indicate that i had never liked his ideas (e.g. about women,humanity,life etc) (to tell the truth,i rather felt sorry for him) until reading about parerga and paralipomena.

es_bih
01 Nov 08,, 10:27
1776 by McCullough, which is turning out to be a very good read.

LavenderStar
16 Nov 11,, 23:24
Re-reading The Ranger's Apprentice series for the third time. I'm on the third book, but I just found out that The Hunger Games has an upcoming movie, and I don't think I've read the book yet, so I might shift books. Yeah. Heh.

USSWisconsin
16 Nov 11,, 23:57
Re-reading The Ranger's Apprentice series for the third time. I'm on the third book, but I just found out that The Hunger Games has an upcoming movie, and I don't think I've read the book yet, so I might shift books. Yeah. Heh.

Hi, This thread is very old (there are newer threads with the same topic) - posting in long inactive threads is discouraged, and posting on the intro thread when you join the WAB is encouraged

I look forward to formally welcoming you on the intro thread

YellowFever
17 Nov 11,, 00:01
What's everyone reading?

Jeez, what a dumb thread......

How am I supposed to know what everyone's reading???? :mad:

Doktor
17 Nov 11,, 00:02
Jeez, what a dumb thread......

How am I supposed to know what everyone's reading???? :mad:

It's hard when you don't read anything.

bigross86
17 Nov 11,, 09:08
Yellow knows how to read?!?!

Doktor
17 Nov 11,, 09:20
Yellow knows how to read?!?!

Guess his speech to type SW goes both ways, otherwise he wouldn't be around

lemontree
17 Nov 11,, 09:50
Just finished a fiction novel - Chanakya's Chant (by Ashwin Singhvi)

I tried to re-read Col. TE Lawrence's "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"...gave up after reading 300 odd pages in 5 months.

tankie
17 Nov 11,, 10:19
Im reading at just how pathetic and bloody moronic the UK has become , sacking police officers and now trying to ban smoking in pvt cars ,,well go police that then ya freakin expenses fuk all better to do rip off bastards , I dont smoke but surely its up to the individual who WANTS to smoke in his/her car / ok , all consideration given to passengers , but surely a PC exercise bridge too far .