PDA

View Full Version : Afghans beat British army at cricket

kams
04 Jan 07,, 17:16
ENGLAND'S cricket shame plunged new depths after a team of Royal Marines were hammered - by the Afghan National Army.

The crack soldiers crashed to a resounding eight wicket defeat after being bowled out for just 56 in 14 overs without one playing reaching double figures.

Afghans have only been playing the game since about 1992 but that did not stop the novice opponents knocking off the runs inside 12 overs.

Members of 45 Commando Group Royal Marines who are based in Helmland Povince, southern Afghanistan, were hoping to restore some pride as England face a humiliating 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Australia. But they were on the backfoot straightaway.

Lt Rob Cooper, who organised the one off 'Test' to jointly celebrate New Year and the Islamic Festival of Eid, said: "The skill level of the Afhans was brilliant. We soon realised we were in trouble when they opened the bowling.

Afghans originally learned their skills in the vast refugee camps of Pakistan. The Taliban regime once banned it because they thought it was an American game. On the fall of the Taliban in 2001, hundreds of enthusiasts came home and brought the game with them."

Added Lt Cooper: "Obviously, we were disappointed to lose as badly as we did, but we still managed to enjoy the encounter. It certainly provided a good break from the operational work being done on a daily basis out here. I would also like to extend my thanks to Gray-Nicholls and Newbery for providing all the kit."

Robert Mead, of the United Kingdom Task Force in Afghanistan, said: "We can get Sky Sports out here and obviously the boys have been following the Ashes series. Unfortunately, it appears they decided to replicate England's efforts!

"I think the Afghans had a couple of pretty quick bowlers who were a bit too hot to handle. But it was a really fun day and everyone had a great time."

The Royal Marines and Commando Gunners, based in Arbroath, are currently fulfilling the role of the Operational Mentoring and Liaison Team (OMLT) on Operation Herrick, the military codename for the operation in Afghanistan.

For the last three months, they have been working alongside 3/205 Brigade of the ANA in order to improve their skill levels such that, given time, they can become a self sufficient and sustainable organisation.

Using the helicopter landing site in the Afghan camp as a pitch it was adorned with a refreshments tent, scoreboard and a PA system. Both teams kitted up in full whites provided by Gray-Nicholls and Newbery. Bats, balls, pads, wickets and gloves were also donated for the celebratory cricket clash.

In the past few years cricket has boomed in Afghanistan with the game played all around the country - all 29 provinces have a team.

Just buskashi and football are more popular than cricket. Buskashi is a bit like polo, but instead of using a ball and sticks, they use the carcass of a goat

British Cricket Saga (http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=TQ232584L&news_headline=afghans_beat_british_army_at_cricket )

LOL Even the Afghans are rubbing it in:biggrin: .
Look at the bright side, things can only improve from this point on. (Unless thr British decide to play against Somalia:eek: )

Asim Aquil
04 Jan 07,, 17:56
That's gotta hurt.

glyn
04 Jan 07,, 20:26
That's gotta hurt.

You can say that twice!
Britain is good at inventing games, and teaching them to the world. Not nearly so good at playing them though!

Neo
04 Jan 07,, 21:37
That's gotta hurt.

Ouch...! :biggrin:

MarquezRazor
04 Jan 07,, 21:53
A victory here could really have cheered up the team in Australia....;)

May be they should have interchanged the teams..

Jay
05 Jan 07,, 00:03
A victory here could really have cheered up the team in Australia....;)

May be they should have interchanged the teams..

What if the Afghanis win? Scary :eek:

kams
05 Jan 07,, 01:03
What if the Afghanis win? Scary :eek:

'If' Jay? LOL you are an optimist:biggrin:

dave lukins
05 Jan 07,, 23:56
Kams r u a prophet ?i bow down to ur Wisdom Sir

kams
06 Jan 07,, 00:20

No Sir, you don't have to be one to read the writing on the wall:biggrin: .

Just kidding..wish I could that for Aussies:frown: .

Jay
06 Jan 07,, 01:00
Kams,
With lot of Englishmen registering in this board, you gotta be careful man :)

dave lukins
06 Jan 07,, 01:08
Kams,
With lot of Englishmen registering in this board, you gotta be careful man :)
Jay,how true ,please except the horses head in your bed as a present from an english cricket fan!!lol:redface: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Jay
06 Jan 07,, 01:13
Now thats blind fanaticism, even with a horse head on my bed, you cannot take away my glee, 5-0 loss, damn...thats painful. :biggrin:

lemontree
08 Jan 07,, 04:48
That's gotta hurt.
Cricket is not a sport played by the rank and file in the army, their (Brit army) game is rubgy. Let the Afghans try rubgy, and they'll not know what hit them, especially with the Paras and Cdo units out there.;)

Ray
08 Jan 07,, 04:53
The Afghans were trained by the Australians? ;) :)

Archer
08 Jan 07,, 13:20
I think the Afghanis were actually the Aussie SAS in disguise, having suitably attired themselves and speaking in Pashto and the like! :tongue:

glyn
08 Jan 07,, 15:25
I think the Afghanis were actually the Aussie SAS in disguise, having suitably attired themselves and speaking in Pashto and the like! :tongue:

Well, I wouldn't put it past them!

Jay
09 Jan 07,, 20:27
ugh, sorry, had to rub it in, I guess England and India should stop playing cricket for a while.

Australia too good again for England
Associated Press

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 (Sydney):

Australia thrashed England by 77 runs on Tuesday after setting a record target for a Twenty20 international in the shortest version of cricket, just four days after completing a 5-0 Ashes series sweep in the traditional game.

Adam Gilchrist clubbed five sixes in his 48 and shared a 69-run second-wicket stand with skipper Ricky Ponting that propelled Australia to a record 221 in a Twenty20 international.

Michael Vaughan, returning as England skipper after missing the Ashes series with a knee injury, held the top of the innings together before he was out for 27 and the tourists slumped to 54 for four.

Paul Nixon (not out 31) and Jamie Dalrymple (32) combined in a 49-run seventh-wicket stand to help England recover to 144 for nine.

"It's good to be back. I'd have liked a win, but ... they're a powerful team," Vaughan said. "We didn't get off to a good start, but it was always going to be a tall order with that target."

Jon Lewis' was the most costly of the four missed catches, dropping Ponting at mid-on for 16. Ponting went on to make 47 from 26 balls before Lewis caught him behind square leg off Paul Collingwood's bowling.

Opener Matthew Hayden set the Australians in motion, hitting 20 from eight balls at the top of the order while Gilchrist, who initially struggled against Andrew Flintoff, plundered 48 from 28 balls.

Gilchrist's innings contained two boundaries and five massive sixes, including three off consecutive balls from one James Anderson over that netted Australia 21 runs.

Cameron White finished unbeaten on 40 with four sixes and a four and shared a 66-run sixth-wicket stand in 5.4 overs with Andrew Symonds, who was not out 39.

England lost wickets in the first and second overs in reply.

Nathan Bracken dismissed Ed Joyce for one in the first over and Shane Harwood had Flintoff out for a duck in the second over.

Harwood ran out Kevin Pietersen for 11 with a direct hit from out near the boundary after Pietersen turned a Nathan Bracken ball behind square and attempted a second run, making the tourists 32 for three after 4.1 overs and virtually ending the run chase.

It was only the second Twenty20 international played in Australia, following the 95-run win by the Australians over South Africa in Brisbane last year.

England and Australia meet again Friday in the opening match of the limited-overs tri-series that also involves New Zealand.

Elbmek
21 Jan 07,, 01:28
Ah but did you see the Afghan Wicketkeeper?

MarquezRazor
21 Jan 07,, 06:43
:biggrin:
Looks more like a pacer to me!

Elbmek
26 Jan 07,, 22:50
Dave, I am sure I recall that you used to spoke English like wot I do, when did you go all sms??