Favorite Naval Book(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Naval Book(s)

Ok, when you grab your favorite Naval book(s) to read, what is it? I have about 100 Naval books, from the 8 volume set of DANFS (purchased from the US Government Printing Office when still available), the complete History of US Naval Operations in WWII, 6 volumes of Janes (various years from 1951 to 1984), Conways, etc. I'll only admit to have 3 BB books, one being the Jersey Cruise book, compliments of Commander I. Jones. Oddly, when I want to thumb through a Naval book, I grab Principles of Naval Engineering.
    Last edited by Ytlas; 31 Dec 06,, 01:19.

Well, I have alot of naval books, the one I am reading now is "The Battle of Leyte Gulf 23-26 Oct. 1944 by:Thomas J Cutler. Great read. I love all military books. Here is a list of my reference books. I know some of them are not naval, but part of a set.

Reference books and Guides:

It is a sweet series by ARCO and now Prentic Hall Press about 24 vol. (well there are more but all I have is 24.

Modern US Navy
    Modern Warships
    Modern Soviet Warships
    Modern Destroyers
    Modern Submarine
    Modern Sub Hunters
    Modern Soviet Fighters
    Modern Fighters
    Modern US Fighters
    Modern Fighter Combat
    Modern Bombers
    Modern Helcopters
    Modern Strategic Weapons
    Modern Naval Avation
    Modern Space Warfair
    Vietnam modern guide
    Modern US Army
    Modern Special Forces of the world
    Aircraft Markings guide
    Jane's Warships 2005 & 2006
    Warships of the Soviet Navy by: Jane's
    Warships of the US Navy by: Jane's
    Warships of the UK by: Jane's
    Modern Destroyer by: S.F. Tomajczyk
    Warships of the twenty first centry by:Steve Crawford
    Naval Combat By: Chris Miller
    Warships of Today by:Chris Chant
    The Falkiands War 1982 by:Duncan Anderson
    How to Make War 1st.&4th Editions By: James Dunnigan
    High Tech Naval Warfare
    Submarine by: Tom Clancy
    Royal Navy in the Cod War
    Battle of the Atlantic
    Also a series of Illustrated directorys
    "Warships from 1860 to 2002" by: David Miller From Salamaner books
    "Submarines of the World" by: David Miller Also from Salamander books
    "The complete Guide to the US Navy"

And for X-mas I got the 2006 vol. of "Jane's Fighting Ships" when I found out what my wife paid for it I went crazy!
    Last edited by Master Chief; 31 Dec 06,, 01:54.
    "Peace through Power" Late Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Master Chief View Post
      Well, I have alot of naval books, the one I am reading now is "The Battle of Leyte Gulf 23-26 Oct. 1944 by:Thomas J Cutler.
      The Cutler book is good, I have that. Another book I liked about Leyte Gulf was "Little Wolf at Leyte" by J. Henry Doscher Jr. Two other books I enjoyed, maybe read twice were "Typhoon: The Other Enemy" by Captain C. Raymond Calhoun, and "A Glorious Way to Die" by Russell Spurr.
      Last edited by Ytlas; 31 Dec 06,, 01:54.

Comment

I still buy Norman Polmar's books everytime he puts out a new edition. When I read through congressional research, his books are typically cited. It seems to me they might be the most accurate considering that tidbit.

Example, "Ships and Aircraft of the U. S. Fleet" is the bible of the US Navy. I look forward to the 19th edition.

I just finished reading "Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945" by Evan Thomas. I thought it was a very good book, and would recommend it to anyone who loves Navy History.

If anyone knows a really good book on the Battle of Trafalgar please pass on a recommendation. Also there is a book out called "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy" by Ian W. Toll I am looking forward to reading.

Comment

Warships of Today by:Chris Chant
          Submarine by: Tom Clancy
          I've got those meself :)

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
          "A Glorious Way to Die" by Russell Spurr.
          Read that one a long time ago, still love re-reading it to this day.

Originally posted by Galrahn View Post
          Also there is a book out called "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy" by Ian W. Toll I am looking forward to reading.
          I purchased that for my father (that's his preferred time period), seriously thinking about getting it for myself.

OK, my "must own" favorites:

Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
          by Jonathan Parshall, Anthony Tully
          I've had to purchase 3 copies of it so far, two were gifts.
          Quite simply the best book about Midway that I've ever read.
          It overturns so many of the long-held myths about the battle.

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
          by James D. Hornfischer
          What Parshall and Tully did for Midway, James Hornfischer does the same for Taffy 3 at Samar. His Ship Of Ghosts does the same for USS Houston and her crew.

The Arms Of Krupp Not explicitly naval I know
          by William Manchester
          The Krupp cannon dynasty: Fascinating and horrifying.

Gallant Lady: A Biography of the USS Archerfish
          by Ken Henry, Don Keith
          If you think that sinking HIJMS Shinano was the only high point of this boat's career, or you like a rolicking good sub story, then put this book on order.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Two of my favorites are The Two Ocean War by Samuel Eliot Morrison (an abridged version of the official history), and Clear the Bridge! The War Patrols of the USS Tang by Rear Admiral Richard O'Kane. A fascinating account of one of the most successful American subs in WWII.
            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

As my hobby is WW2 research, in particular, the Battle of the Atlantic, I tend to read all I can on that subject and have collected many books, many still unread, on that. In particular Captain Frederic John Walker RN, Johnnie Walker. His story is online at:

WALKER RN

My site. I am also attempting, very slowly, to write a book on him.

I have already had one published, called "On A Sailors Grave (No Roses Grow)" about maritime disasters on WW2. They are mostly european but include the story of the USS Indianapolis. The common denominator being the amount of lives lost against size of ship.

Sadly for me, the publisher who graciously took it into print, only sells from his online store; thereby denying me the chances of greater sales!!

Good books = Walker RN - Terence Robertson; The Battle of the Narrow Seas - Peter Scott; Relentless Pursuit - DEG Wemyss; The Fighting Captain - Alan Burns; and other out of print WW2 books I found online and bought easily.

Comment

I really have too many books to count. Most of them are Naval oriented, but a couple are warplanes and a couple are on tanks. Almost all of my Technical Manuals are Naval ships including a full copy of Gen Specs in addition to 3 volumes of 16" turrets.

Also have a two volume set I wrote as a design study in how to protect an 1800 man crew of an Iowa class from ABC attack (the trick is to suit up REAL quick - How to do that took a full year of study).

Lots of stuff on the Bismarck a friend and I were studying (we were going to write an adventure novel on it until Ballard found the ship). However, my main interest was why Lutjens did what he did. But I'm not going to post my theory because it would be very controversial (though logical based upon my vivid imagination).
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  Lots of stuff on the Bismarck a friend and I were studying (we were going to write an adventure novel on it until Ballard found the ship). However, my main interest was why Lutjens did what he did. But I'm not going to post my theory because it would be very controversial (though logical based upon my vivid imagination).
                  You're not gonna leave us hanging like that, are you? Come on, we like controversy! This place wouldn't exist without it! Tell us!

edit: on a new thread, of course.
                  I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    I really have too many books to count.

Actually, wouldn't this be a good opportunity to plug your own manuscript/book?:)

As I go from website to website, I seem to always run into strings where a member has one or more books published and yet your book still hasn't been picked up yet. I'd have to guess that you already have enough material for a second book, if you can get the first one out. I used to be a member of a specific cruiser association and at least 5 of those members have books published. I just have to wonder what a publisher's criteria could be?
                    Last edited by Ytlas; 02 Jan 07,, 02:09.

Comment

"History of the USN" I just brought this excellent book two weeks ago and its the best Naval book I have ever seen. Some 6-700 pages in length it covers from the days of Fighting Sail to the Monitor to Modern Day. Its certainly the best book I have yet to find thats covers it all. Hell its even cloth bound with the USN insignia embroddered on the cover. Borders have some great deals.

Price...100.00
                      Cost ...20.00 (On sale)

Best book ever seen on the USN at 20.00...PRICELESS
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        "History of the USN" I just brought this excellent book two weeks ago and its the best Naval book I have ever seen. Some 6-700 pages in length it covers from the days of Fighting Sail to the Monitor to Modern Day. Its certainly the best book I have yet to find thats covers it all. Hell its even cloth bound with the USN insignia embroddered on the cover. Borders have some great deals.

Price...100.00
                        Cost ...20.00 (On sale)

Best book ever seen on the USN at 20.00...PRICELESS

I seen this book but did not want to spring out the cash for it. But I did see it at a discount store for the same price. If you say it good I will pick it up. Today I picked up two more books, "At War At Sea" sailors and naval combat in the twentieth century. By: Ronald H. Spector. And "Naval Battles of World War Two" By: Goeffrey Bennett will let you know how they are in few weeks.
                        "Peace through Power" Late Ronald Reagan

Comment

I seen this book but did not want to spring out the cash for it. But I did see it at a discount store for the same price. If you say it good I will pick it up. Today I picked up two more books, "At War At Sea" sailors and naval combat in the twentieth century. By: Ronald H. Spector. And "Naval Battles of World War Two" By: Goeffrey Bennett will let you know how they are in few weeks.
                          Chief, Its an excellent book of not only very "worthy" stories but as well day to day,year to year Naval Ops since the inception of the USN. As well as some great pics throught out the years.:)
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

[QUOTE=RAL's_pal?;320579]Actually, wouldn't this be a good opportunity to plug your own manuscript/book?:)

QUOTE]

I contacted one publisher that seems sincerely interested. Even made a personal phone call to my home. But that was just before the holidays and I have to regroup and make contact again.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                              You're not gonna leave us hanging like that, are you? Come on, we like controversy! This place wouldn't exist without it! Tell us!

edit: on a new thread, of course.
                              I'll think about that. It's just that there are so many details, hints, clues and conjectures that it would take up a book in itself.

Give you a hint though. What ship did the USCGC Modoc rendevous with earlier that morning before Bismarck crossed her bow? Who was on that ship?

Comment

Working...
                              X