Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your top 5 favorite places in this country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your top 5 favorite places in this country?

OK, I know that this doesnt have much to do with politics. But there are alot of non-Canadians who are probably curious about our country and lurking around the Canadian forum just wanting to learn more about our country.

So I suggest, everyone, even if you are not Canadian, but have travelled here. State your top favorite places to visit or travel to in this country. It could be anything, from your favorite place to hunt/fish, Camp/other outdoors stuff, citie places/sight seeing, or just places you have been to and have stuck in your memory.

Ill start.

I have not travelled much outside the country, however, I have travelled alot in Ontario and Quebec. My top 5 are.

5. Toronto: Canada's largest city, There are lots of things to see and do here. Like Ontario Place, and the the CN tower, and rogers place (skydome). when you in the skydome you look up and the CN tower is above you, it looks like it is leaning over the open top of the dome. I really also liked Kensington market, a real cosmopolitan of cultures and lots of neat little shops. Canada's wonderland, is just north of the City, its the largest amusement park in the country, and has alot of world class coasters and other rides.

4. Tobermory: If you scuba dive, (I have my open water liscence, and have dived wrecks in tobermory, and have also dove Lake Simcoe, and other locations in Georgian Bay) this is a MUST. Tobermory is located on the tip of the bruce pinnensula, there is a narrow strait between the penninsula and manitoulin island (worlds largest freshwater island) this strait was very treachurous to early ships, and is dotted with many many shipwrecks, some are in water not even 10 feet deep. The water is crystal clear, and offers some of the best freshwater wrech diving in the world. Even if you dont scuba, some of the wrecks are shallow enough that you can snorkal over them, and still get to explore the wrecks. The town of tobermory is a diving town, with lots of fellow divers you can meet from all over the world, very beutifull and picturesque village on Georgian Bay.

3. Montreal: I have family in this city, I have had some crazy nights out on St.Catherines street, Montreal is by a long shot, the best party town in the country. Not just that, but Montreal prides on its culture of theatre and the arts. Cirque du Soleil was founded in Montreal, the city also boasts world famous smoked meat shops. The french language, and distinct architecture makes montreal a unique place in Canada, a little bit of Europe in North America, however, if its a European flavour your looking for, Quebec City is the place for you to visit.

Last summer, I was at the great Canadian Bunjee, which is a giant 200foot bunjee in a giant canyon which was once a mining hole, well We met these americans from Milwaukee, who were stopping there to go bunjee jumping, on there way to spend a few nights in montreal. They told us how in Milwaukee, the strippers did not remove there bottom "clothing articles" and you could not sit any closer than three feet from the dancers...that, combined with the stronger beer up here, we told them, that they are in for one hell of a time! lol

2. North Bay: This northern Ontario city has it all. Amazing fishing in Lake Nipising, Good staging ground for Big game hunting and a crazy night scene. I have some fond memories of fishing trips to North Bay during College. There is a bar there called the Zoo, it is aptly named also. One part of this bar is a pub, where people, mainly locals come to drink..thats the boring part of the bar..the other part, is where the fun is. There is a college in North Bay, so on Weekends, all the college girls go to this bar to let off some steam, and it is a riot.

1. Algonquin Park: People say that if you want to just get away from civilization, and just live off the land, then Algonquin is over-rated, and the wastelands of forests and muskeg of northern Ontario are better suited.
    However, personally, I like Algonquin because it is closer to urban centers, and there are park rangers who can help you if you do get lost or injured. But still, the majority of Algonquin, is untamed wilderness. Just you and your canoe, traversing the endless rivers and lakes and portages. Its a wonderful park, with breathtaking scenery, and amazing fishing for trout, pickeral and smallmouths. As a child living on CFB Petewawa, wich is very close to the easternmost boundaries of the park, my father would take us out early in the morning along highway 60 to watch moose crossing the roads.
    If you are an amateur canoeing and adventure enthuthiest, and want to get away from the world, I suggest Algonquin Park.
    Last edited by Canmoore; 26 Dec 06,, 22:41.

1st. Lake Louise, summer or winter.
    2nd. Gastown, Vancouver, has the only steam clock I've ever seen.
    3rd. Sproat Lake, Vancouver Island, Home to the Mars.
    4th. Calgary, Alberta, for the Stampede & Heritage Park.
    5th. Any of the plentiful wooded islands.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Top 5 favourite places in Canada:

1. Ottawa - You can't get more Canadian than this!
      2. Montreal - Most bilingual city in the country, and the champion of Canada in Quebec. Not to mention the historic architecture and great french restaurants!
      3. Toronto - Grew up here, and very cosmopolitan
      4. Whistler - Just beautiful!
      5. Quebec City - Colonial architecture and centerpiece of Quebecois culture
      Last edited by ajtigger; 27 Dec 06,, 00:19.
      "Reality has a well-known liberal bias".

Comment

1. Calgary, AB (and area) - my home and a city that has everything (minus lakes). I wake up every morning to a wonderful view of the Rockies and am within a few hours drive to beautiful locations such as Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper.

2. Cape Breton, NS - Beautiful scenery.

3. Kelowna, BC - Great lakes, quite warm in the summer. Just an awesome water sports location.

4. Quebec City, Que - Beautiful city with a rich heritage. Friendly people.

5. Vancouver, BC - Again, beautiful city on the pacific coast. Good scuba diving within driving distance, as well as great skiing in the winter.

Comment

Tobermory for sure - really good visibility for diving, some nice old wrecks at various levels from novice to advanced.

Okanagan valley, BC - nice weather, gorgeous land

Gwaii Haanas, BC (Queen Charlotte Islands) - beautiful, haunting, diversity

Bay of Fundy, NB - especially if you love tides

Temagami, ON - haven’t been there in years, but it has (had?) terrific fishing, beautiful lakes and rock formations

Lanark Highlands - where I am fortunate enough to live! Great people, peaceful, every day is like camping.

(North Bay is my home town. Still visit a few times a year. Yeah, the Zoo...name suits it!)
          Insanity is doing the same thing over and over
          and expecting a different result.
          Albert Einstein.

Comment

Originally posted by mostlymad View Post
            Lanark Highlands - where I am fortunate enough to live! Great people, peaceful, every day is like camping.
            So you know the Bingleys.

Comment

I know the Bingleys, I stayed with my folks in McDonalds Corners, for the spring and summer months between my first and second year ofcollege. I know quite a few people from the Lanark Highlands actually.

wow. Compared to everyone else, my post looks like a travel brochur
              Last edited by Canmoore; 27 Dec 06,, 17:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                So you know the Bingleys.
                I moved there in November 2006 and don't know the Bingleys, not by name, anyway. Is this bit of ignorance a big faux pas?
                Albert Einstein.

Comment

Don't worry about it. It's been over 10 years since I've seen the Bingleys but they are a fixture in Lanark. You'll get to know them soon enough. One thing I will warn you about them. They can drink.

Comment

On the paltry pension that I exist on, my top five places continue to be my hometown alone and at best five localities within it! ;) :)

Fortunately I can still afford to use my car and not require to use the maddening public transport system, excepting the Metro (underground railway / tube) which is convenient when one has to go to the city centre!
                    Last edited by Ray; 27 Dec 06,, 19:12.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,

Before I was married, I was an avid fisherman. Now, I watch TV fishing shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Sir,

Before I was married, I was an avid fisherman. Now, I watch TV fishing shows.

Now I am sure you are fishing in troubled waters! ;) :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

1. Lake Louise , wow that place is breath taking.
                          2. Ottawa , A lot of history to see and very clean city for its size.
                          3. St. John's Nfld. For the people.
                          4. Quebec city, for the different culture.
                          5. Bay of Quinte, great fishing, close to the major centers but still rural. biggest city is Belleville only 50,000 people. Great beaches at Sandbanks, very temperate weather,Also home to CFB Trenton the gateway to the world for our military.

Comment

Edmondton. I want to see Wayne's statue and visit the Oiler's practice facility.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by BFD15 View Post
                              St. John's Nfld. For the people.
                              I forgot to add that one! Super nice people there as well.
                              Albert Einstein.

Comment

Working...
                              X