Rumsfeld adjusts his position on Iraq / al-Qaeda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumsfeld adjusts his position on Iraq / al-Qaeda

It appears that Donald Rumsfeld's position is "evolving".

His recent comments ""To my knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two"
    (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3715396.stm)

are changing in tone from his comments of 2002 :-

"We do have solid evidence of the presence in Iraq of al-Qaeda members, including some that have been in Baghdad,we have what we consider to be very reliable reporting of senior-level contacts going back a decade and of possible chemical and biological agent training," (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2282986.stm)
    at

Thanks for the links, Trooth.

The "truth" always comes out in the end. Too late for the dead Iraqis and Americans (and British etc), though.

Comment

I usually take BBC articles with a grain of salt. But I read basically the same article at CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...raq/index.html

Between Rumsfeld and Condi Rice lately, I would say there is some "flip-flopping" going on within the Administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth
        It appears that Donald Rumsfeld's position is "evolving".
        I don't like that guy, but it may explain this *No Real Proof News Story* . An attempt at damage control?
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Either way if Bush survives he's on his way out back to his private sector multi-millon dollar pharma industry exec job.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
            I usually take BBC articles with a grain of salt. But I read basically the same article at CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...raq/index.html

Ha Ha I see it the other way around. I always take every thing CNN says with a grain of salt until I see it on CBC or BBC. Infact I make a point of avoiding American news cause its so biased.
            The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no
            longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident
            that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

Comment

Seeker, that is the fun of watching US news. I've been taping the Fox News broadcast we get on our Murdock channel from Midnight to about 6am (OK i'm just trying out my new DVD recorder - boys with toys!). Aside from all the pretty blonde women they have as presenters (pretty African-American newsreader not withstanding) it is fun to watch the "fair and balanced coverage" :) for the occasional non-republican comment. It really stands out! US news is almost always pro-US but then we should expect nothing less.

Edit: I would hope NZ news is pro-New Zealand.

Comment

Well, it really depends how you look at it. As a Non-American viewing the world in an American perspective, but I doubt local news in NZ is staunchly anti-NZgovt. I don't think its very fair to judge news services that broadcast across cultures. Al-Jazeera isn't liked but oh well. It's showing the arab point of view. And after last month's scandal at CBS with Dan Rather trying to smear Bush, you really have to re-evaulate what Ann Coulter has been saying. Not that she's a moderate, although i do think she's very attractive. :) What i'm trying to say is our political cultures are different to the point you think cheerleading for the free enterprise system is going too far.

Comment

Fair comment, Gio.

BTW Do you also watch Fox News more than CNN or one of the networks news programmes? I just started watching it again a couple of days ago (I first saw it when it got the NZ feed earlier this year). From what you have seen, is it fair and balanced in your mind? (Maybe this should have its own thread? In fact it may do and i've just neen to lazy to look for it).

Comment

I don't watch too much TV news. But if I do, I watch MSNBC or I catch CSPAN's morning review of all the regional newspapers. Hmm, it's hard to say who's more ballanced. All of them have one idea on their minds, profit. I figure, they swing with the trend they think the nation is going in. For Example before Watergate the press wouldn't touch a President's personal life, Clinton is an example of how that's changed.

Comment

Our Cable distributor gives us CNN, BBC, and PTV (Pakistan TV). I watch all. Of course they are biased from their Nation's standpoint, but what of it?

As there is no free lunches, there is no unbiased news.

But some news is good news ;).

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I personally watch many news channels because they all have their own points of view. So, I just try to stay objective, keep an open mind, and read between the lines. That's all you can really do.

Comment

I tend to use the BBC as a yardstick. One of the main reasons being that every government, Tory or Labour, has criticised it for being biased against them. Which frankly means they are doing something right!

There was a time when i could receive Fox news easily and i found it somewhat amusing. Very glossy, very well packaged and i guess fair and balanced in that you can blatantly see the motivation of the channel, whereas others keep their poltical leanings more hidden.
                          at

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                            Our Cable distributor gives us CNN, BBC, and PTV (Pakistan TV). I watch all. Of course they are biased from their Nation's standpoint, but what of it?

As there is no free lunches, there is no unbiased news.

;).
                            Wow I'm green with envy. I wish I could aford BBC and Cspan PTV or NZ NEws etc. I do as much internet surfing to get as wide a POV as possible to ballance off what I can get out of the local canadian channels.I have found Egroups with Chinese ;Indians ;Iraninans ;Americans & Europeans....there not great but you do get a more universal reaction that way.
                            The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no
                            longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident
                            that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                              I personally watch many news channels because they all have their own points of view. So, I just try to stay objective, keep an open mind, and read between the lines. That's all you can really do.
                              Don't really like that term, reading in between the lines. I know where I stand ideologically on my own, so I find news bias comments really annoying. As i don't understand how anyone can think news is totally fair.

Comment

Working...
                              X