Assault gun, any use today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault gun, any use today?

Just out of curiosity I was wondering if tanks like ww2 era Jagdpanther or the sturm series could be used today. Ofcourse you would have to build modern tank hull, optics and use modern weapons. An assault tank could mount a bigger gun than tanks with turret also they could have lower silhuette therefor making them good defensive units too.
    What do you guys think?

The role of the assault gun was to supplie a mobile armored gun to the infantry to allow them to fight mechanized infantry on more even terms.

In terms of that role the ICV fills the role in modern armies.
    The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no
    longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident
    that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

Comment

Not with standard tube. But how about the A-10 gun I suggested way back? :)
      Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

"But how about the A-10 gun I suggested way back?"

On an M-1 chassis with a high elevation turret and FLIR that would be a hell of a MOUT asset, as well as very good against helos and all but the most modern MBTs(and probably most of those too).

I think a GAU-8/A equipped M-1 is a fantastic idea.

Comment

[I think a GAU-8/A equipped M-1 is a fantastic idea.[/QUOTE]

Most flattered sir!

Specifically, what I had in mind was just a cheap off-the-shelf turret replacement.
          Lighter, of course - in my mind this is no MBT replacement - as well as set far back and v. fast traversing. You're on the mark (can't fuckin' resist can I?) when you state high angle. I'd ideally go for a two part elevation: normal -5 to +60 coupled with a hydraulic option to transfer the range +25 for urban. I would ideally envision the whole turret auto and opperated from within the hull. I have no bloody idea whether that is practical/practicable. Glad you like the concept tho!
          I can't see why it wouldn't be worth a few bucks to try? :)
          Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

I too think it's great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
              "But how about the A-10 gun I suggested way back?"

On an M-1 chassis with a high elevation turret and FLIR that would be a hell of a MOUT asset, as well as very good against helos and all but the most modern MBTs(and probably most of those too).

I think a GAU-8/A equipped M-1 is a fantastic idea.

As much as I would love to see a fine little darling like that in action, I have to wonder: Wouldnt such a vehicle need a very prodigous ammo capacity to be viable? I mean, can anybody guesstimate how much 30mm could an M-1 chassis carry?
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Make a completely new 30mm gun that fires maybe 2000 rpm that's flatter. And put an infrared targeting system. Put the turret on a remotelly-operated chassis, and you've got a SWEET MOUT tank

Comment

Working...
                X