Nuclear warheads of the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear warheads of the world

anybody knows about the current numbers of nuclear warheads? I know that you can't know e.g. how much or if North Korea has some, but anyway, try to answer and please give me your sources.
    I found this list, but it seems to be not up to date:

1 Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika 10.700
    2 Russland 10.100
    3 China 380
    4 Frankreich 360
    5 Israel 260
    6 Grossbritannien 200
    7 Indien 74
    8 Pakistan 44

sorry, it's in German, but I think everybody can read it, right?
    No matter how the next war ends, the following one will be fought with sticks and stones.
    (Albert Einstein)

Genau. Viel gluck. etc.
    That, sir, is not public domain. Quit. :)
    Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxxx
      anybody knows about the current numbers of nuclear warheads? I know that you can't know e.g. how much or if North Korea has some, but anyway, try to answer and please give me your sources.
      I found this list, but it seems to be not up to date:

1 Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika 10.700
      2 Russland 10.100
      3 China 380
      4 Frankreich 360
      5 Israel 260
      6 Grossbritannien 200
      7 Indien 74
      8 Pakistan 44

sorry, it's in German, but I think everybody can read it, right?

You're going to get different numbers no matter where you go. It really is hard to find information on the number of nukes in most nation's inventories for the obvious reasons, and even countries that openly acknowledge having nukes don't really try to keep people informed as to their capabilities. Then you have tactical nuclear weapons for those countries possessing more advanced arsenals, which further complicate gathering accurate numbers (there are big differences between strategic and tactical nukes, and even some nukes that aren't really considered nukes!). I'd recommend giving up now, because you will get estimates that are all over the place, and there isn't really a good way of telling which ones are accurate. Suffice it to say that the US and Russia could blow everyone else to hell and gone.

Comment

Viele Danke.

Were do Israelis keep their nukes.
        Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
        Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

Interesting to see Israel has a larger stockpile than United Kindom according to that list.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Take the list with a truck load of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger
              You're going to get different numbers no matter where you go.
              Would this list at least be within the +100% / -100% range?

Every list has to be based on some sort of fact, right?

Comment

i thought Russia had a bigger stockpile of nuclear weapons then America...
                Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

All the countrys in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty are supposed to say how many thay have.

Originally posted by gunnut
                  Interesting to see Israel has a larger stockpile than United Kindom according to that list.
                  Israel is not a member of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and refuses to officially confirm or deny having a nuclear arsenal, or to having developed nuclear weapons, or even to having a nuclear weapons program.
                  Meat cutting classification NAMP 1174; the porterhouse is NAMP 1173.

Comment

Declared nuclear weapons states Country Warheads active/total* Year of first test
                    United States 5,735/9,960 1945 ("Trinity")
                    Russia (formerly the Soviet Union) 7,200/16,000 1949 ("RDS-1")
                    United Kingdom <200 1952 ("Hurricane")
                    France 350 1960 ("Gerboise Bleue")
                    China 400 1964 ("596")
                    India 40-50 1974 ("Smiling Buddha")
                    Pakistan 24-48 1998 ("Chagai-I")
                    North Korea 0-10 none

*All numbers are estimates from the Natural Resources Defense Council, published in the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, unless other references are given. If differences between active and total stockpile are known, they are given as two figures separated by a forward slash. If no specifics are known, only one figure is given. Stockpile number may not contain all intact warheads if a substantial amount of warheads are scheduled for but have not yet gone through dismantlement; not all "active" warheads are deployed at any given time. When a spread of weapons is given (e.g., 0-10), it generally indicates that the estimate is being made on the amount of fissile material which has likely been produced, and the amount of fissile material needed per warhead depends on estimates of a country's proficiency at nuclear weapon design.
                    Last edited by T-bone; 25 May 06,, 00:30.
                    Meat cutting classification NAMP 1174; the porterhouse is NAMP 1173.

Comment

india has around 120 - 150 nukes

Comment

Originally posted by anand1266
                        india has around 120 - 150 nukes
                        I doubt it India likely has 110 nukes at the most while pakistan probaly has the same numbers. Nodboy knows exactly how many nukes the nuclear nations have they are forever gonna be kept confidential

Comment

Originally posted by resiak
                          I doubt it India likely has 110 nukes at the most while pakistan probaly has the same numbers. Nodboy knows exactly how many nukes the nuclear nations have they are forever gonna be kept confidential
                          true,
                          many nations keep their nuclear arsenal a tight secret.
                          but its not necessary that every nuke works or is it working condition.
                          every country makes large stockpiles just to be in safe position.
                          for eg
                          if a country has 50 nukes , one-third or some proportion may not work owing to many reasons like poor maintenance etc etc and lots of time is wasted in answering a nuke attack like arranging for missiles , fighter-jets , bombers etc
                          so to be safe and to be in a position effectively launch nukes . countries keep large stock piles.
                          any powerful country can lauch a nuke within hour but to achieve this a very good maintanence must be in place. Regularly checking delivary systems etc etc.

Comment

"Frankreich", which I assume is France has enough nukes for a single sortie of a full-out B-2 attack. Israel, the UK, India and Pakistan don't have enough for that, and North Korea doesn't have enough to arm a single B-2. The US has 21 B-2s and each B-2 can carry 16 B-61 nukes for a grand total of 336 nukes if each B-2 flys one mission. That means the US can put 336 nukes on any country within a day with complete surprise because no country possesses systems that can shoot down the B-2 currently. One fine night, everything may be calm, and all of a sudden out of nowhere, 336 B-61s drop from the sky and turn all the main cities into dust plains with an occasional irradiated tumbleweed.

Comment

Somehow, I think the 460 built examples of the AGM-129 stealthy cruise missile, carried aboard B-52s with 150kt W80 warheads, and launched from a standoff range of up to 2,000nm, would be used, rather than conduct old-fashioned bombing runs with B-2s.
                              HD Ready?

Comment

Working...
                              X