X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Va. Congressman fears more Muslims elected

Va. Congressman fears more Muslims elected
    Apology called for; Rep. Goode 'stands by the letter'

WASHINGTON - A Republican congressman has told constituents that unless immigration is tightened, "many more Muslims" will be elected and follow the lead of a recently elected lawmaker who plans to use the Quran at his ceremonial swearing-in.

Rep. Virgil Goode, R-Va., made the comments in a letter sent earlier this month to hundreds of constituents who had written to him about Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, a Minnesota Democrat and the first Muslim elected to Congress. Goode's letter triggered angry responses from a New Jersey congressman and an Islamic civil rights group.

In the letter, Goode wrote, "The Muslim representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran."

Goode said the U.S. needs to stop illegal immigration "totally" and reduce legal immigration.

Goode added: "I fear that in the next century we will have many more Muslims in the United States if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America and to prevent our resources from being swamped."

Apology called for
    Ellison was born in Detroit and converted to Islam in college. He did not return telephone messages left Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr., D-N.J., wrote to Goode on Wednesday saying that he was "greatly disappointed and in fact startled" by Goode's letter.

"I take your remarks as personally offensive to the large community of Muslim-Americans I represent in the Eighth District of New Jersey," Pascrell wrote.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations called on Goode to apologize.

"Representative Goode's Islamophobic remarks send a message of intolerance that is unworthy of anyone elected to public office," CAIR's national legislative director, Corey Saylor, said Tuesday night. "There can be no reasonable defense for such bigotry."

Congressman stands by letter
    Goode spokesman Linwood Duncan said Wednesday that no apology was forthcoming.

"The only statement the congressman has is that he stands by the letter," Duncan said.

The letter was made public by John Cruickshank, the chairman of the Piedmont group of the Sierra Club in central Virginia, who had received it after writing to Goode about environmental issues. Duncan said that Goode's office had sent the letter to Cruickshank by mistake.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16311648/

---------
    What a jackass...
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

One muslim in congress is enough.

I wonder how is going to reconcile his religion's view that allah's law is higher than human law (the U.S. Constitution, for example)?

Unfortunately, the powers of political correctness will shout down Rep. Goode

Comment

gosh, now that you mention it,

here in the US we have absolutely NO politicians whom push their own religious views on the US populace already, except that muslim guy.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I have not understood why this hue and cry over taking the oath on the Koran.

I sincerely want to understand the rationale since the sentiments expressed is alien to me being an Indian, where oath are taken on all types of religious scriptures, depending on the faith of the one taking the oath.

What's so nasty or great about taking the oath on the Koran? If he has to take an oath, then should it not be on something he believes in or should it be on something he does not believe in?
        Last edited by Ray; 23 Dec 06,, 04:27.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

ray,

politicians at home trying to use a bit of fear-mongering. "most terrorists are muslims, therefore most muslims are terrorists; muslims read the koran so the koran must be evil."
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

That is hardly logical, if I may say so.

How can one use such a line?

It is very juvenile and unlettered a thought, if indeed it is what is the rationale!

This type of a thought only strengthen the hands of the fundmentalists and terrorists that the US is waging war against Islam because they hate Islam and other such tripe!

Thank you all the same.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Goode
              excisation by Trooth
              I fear that in the next century we will have many more {excised} in the {excised} if we do not adopt the strict immigration policies that I believe are necessary to preserve the values and beliefs traditional to the {excised} and to prevent our resources from being swamped."
              Ye gods, how many times in history have we seen that rubbish peddled?

Has Mr Goode ever been to the Ellis Island museum in New York and seen that his country's tradtional values embrace immigration?
              at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth View Post
                Ye gods, how many times in history have we seen that rubbish peddled?

Has Mr Goode ever been to the Ellis Island museum in New York and seen that his country's tradtional values embrace immigration?
                There is another site in New York that speaks volumes about what happens when a country allows inside its borders those who would do evil. I can't see how it helps my country to allow an islamic terrorist to come in because we have a "tradition" of bringing in immigrants.

I doubt we let a lot of Nazis in during WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by CMartel View Post
                  There is another site in New York that speaks volumes about what happens when a country allows inside its borders those who would do evil. I can't see how it helps my country to allow an islamic terrorist to come in because we have a "tradition" of bringing in immigrants.

I doubt we let a lot of Nazis in during WWII.
                  Not the same thing. Ellis Island is a monument to immigration. New York's WTC site is a monument to the victims of terrorism from foreign nationals.

Where did i say allow an islamic terrorist to become a citizen?
                  at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth View Post
                    Not the same thing. Ellis Island is a monument to immigration. New York's WTC site is a monument to the victims of terrorism from foreign nationals.

Where did i say allow an islamic terrorist to become a citizen?
                    Can you tell the difference between an islamic terrorist and an islamic non-terrorist that just wants to live in the USA? I can't.

Close the borders completely as possible from these Islamic Freedom Fighters. That means immigration as well as guest/student/work/tourist visas.

Comment

Originally posted by CMartel View Post
                      Can you tell the difference between an islamic terrorist and an islamic non-terrorist that just wants to live in the USA? I can't.

Close the borders completely as possible from these Islamic Freedom Fighters. That means immigration as well as guest/student/work/tourist visas.
                      I repeat, there are at least three Muslims elected, this time around. For one of them this is his third time around. Two of them are of Pakistani origin.

This is indeed a new fear mongering tool and this guy is just being targetted over nothing.

Saghir Tahir: http://www.saggystaterep.com/

Principles that guide Saggy's legislative agenda in Concord:

Care for the elderly - Senior citizens should be rewarded for their decades of hard work and dedication with respect, dignity and proper care. Saggy is committed to passing legislation in Concord to cap real estate taxes for retired residents and offer affordable prescription drugs to older New Hampshire citizens who need help the most, many of whom are struggling just to get by.

Opposition to income and sales taxes - Saggy has not supported, and will not support, an income or sales tax for New Hampshire.

Support for public education - Saggy supports fully funding public schools, and opposes voucher programs that may damage or undermine them. He believes that paying teachers what they deserve is an important step in achieving academic excellence. Local control of educational decisions is absolutely necessary for schools to thrive.

Working to lower the dropout rate - Recently released figures show the high school dropout rate is still far too high. Saggy co-sponsored House Bill 619, which expanded opportunities for dropout prevention and dropout recovery among high school students thinking of leaving school.

Support for vocational training - In 2002, Saggy co-sponsored House Bill 1231, which called for creating a pre-engineering technology curriculum in our public high schools. The bill was signed into law last May. It will offer vocational training to students who are not planning to go on to college.

Assisting those in need - Saggy voted for affordable housing for the poor and to expand the NH Veterans Home.

The need for public service - One of Saggy's core beliefs is the need for citizens to do their civic duty. He believes that voting, participating in the election process, or serving in public office, as he has done, are duties citizens are required to give back to this country for all of its gifts.

Public integrity - While in the state House of Representatives, Saggy has abided by the highest civic and ethical standards. He not only declined the salary offered to him as a state representative, but also turned back his travel stipend to the treasury and refused any paid meals from lobbyist groups. He remains committed to you - his constituents.

Saqib Ali:

The issues he stands for: http://www.alifordelegate.com/issues.htm

Ellison's constituency is not a Muslim majority. So he was voted in mostly by non-Muslims!

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil View Post
                        Ellison's constituency is not a Muslim majority. So he was voted in mostly by non-Muslims!
                        He was voted in by Minneapolis 5th District liberals.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                          He was voted in by Minneapolis 5th District liberals.

-dale
                          right right... but majority non-Muslims. It does have a sizeable somalian population but they aren't always muslim either nor sizeable enough to affect a vote.

Comment

there goes the neighborhood!

oh, no!!

oh, no!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!111111

oh my god......oh my god.......oh no!!.....oh my god

somebody..........do something!!!

the walls are crumbling, the air is poison, the sky grows dark with foreboding

im so scared
                            Last edited by Low-tech; 29 Dec 06,, 17:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil View Post
                              right right... but majority non-Muslims. It does have a sizeable somalian population but they aren't always muslim either nor sizeable enough to affect a vote.
                              Our statements are non-contradictory.

-dale

Comment

Working...
                              X