Taliban resurgence a result of British deal, not Pakistan's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taliban resurgence a result of British deal, not Pakistan's

A lot of people mis-report the Pak-Waziristan deal, like a Pak-Taliban deal.

Anyway what's interesting is the actual difference on ground came from the British-Taliban deal, where they handed over the area to the tribal elders (as they advertised omitting out the part that the elders were Pro-Taliban).

It is a fact that before this deal the Taliban weren't abundant in the region. It was a big deal to spot one. Now they roam freely, place minefields, even police areas and arrest loitering journalists.

There's a new sheriff in town.

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level_En...367048278&par=
    AFGHANISTAN: TALIBAN NOW WELCOMED BACK SAYS VETERAN

Kandahar, 15 Dec. (AKI) - (Syed Saleem Shahzad) - With a black beard flecked with grey, a soft smiling face and only one leg, he could be just another of the thousands of war victims scattered across Afghanistan. In reality he is the veteran commander of mujahadeen in Kandahar against the Soviets, the war that cost him his leg. Twenty years on, he is again a major player, but this time in the Taliban-led offensive against NATO troops. Meet commander Haji Naimtullah.

Naimatullah shied away when this correspondent requested his snap shot and instead showed his one remaining leg which was injured, adding that soon he would be visiting the south western Pakistani city of Quetta for treatment and if his pictures were released in the news media he might be arrested in Pakistan.

Naimatullah was the Taliban commander in the town of Musa Qala during the Taliban regime and was forced to leave the area taking refuge in Baghran district’s rugged mountainous village of Akhtak.

The Taliban laid siege for nearly three months around the NATO forces' base in July 2006. Taliban evacuated the local population and dug in for the long haul.

The British forces found their supplies running low and finally a historic deal was struck last month between the district government and Taliban under which the administration was formally handed over to the tribal elders, who again, just happened to be pro-Taliban.

NATO forces and Afghan police and Army withdrew from the area - after receiving guarantees that the Taliban would not use it for launching attacks. Now Taliban call the shots everywhere.

Naimatullah recalled how the people of Musa Qala said happily goodbye to Taliban when they were overthrown in the 2001 US invasion and heartily welcomed the new Kabul administration.

“They were expecting that with Americans coming to Afghanistan, the place would be a paradise on earth but in the last few days they have seen a worst kind of anarchy and lawlessness. In addition, during military operations against Taliban many civilians have been killed. Despite repeated promises by the government, the families of the victims have not not compensated. As a result, the masses finally turned to Taliban again,” Naimatullah argued.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16242693/site/newsweek/
    Afghanistan: Want to Meet the Taliban? No Prob.

Dec. 25, 2006 - Jan. 1, 2007 - Until earlier this year, contacting the Taliban inside Afghanistan was a dangerous ordeal. Most were in hiding, living in the shadows in remote mountain areas. I could communicate with rebel commanders only by satellite phone. When I could arrange a clandestine meeting, the journey to the rendezvous site was hazardous, and once there, commanders and fighters were reluctant to talk or show their faces for security reasons.

Now the situation in Afghanistan has become tougher for American and NATO troops—but easier for me. As a result of the Taliban offensive that kicked off just before last spring, I'm dealing with a different insurgent movement. Significant guerrilla units are actively operating near major towns and even within a two-hour drive from Kabul. I can contact commanders easily on their cellular phones. They are more confident, are eager to talk and have started inviting "trusted" journalists to visit their newly secured zones. In September I visited a senior commander and more than 100 of his well-armed fighters lounging inside a bustling village that is located within sight of the main road and only a few miles from an American military base in Ghazni province. Villagers went about their daily chores, paying little attention to the gunmen. Days later I was even able to bring along my American colleague from news-week to meet guerrillas in another village nearby. Most commanders and fighters now freely pose for photos.

Still, it's a risky business. In November, as I waited near a main highway in Ghazni, I was kidnapped by four heavily armed Taliban on motorcycles. They bound my hands and took my wallet, camera, cell and satellite phones, and the car I was riding in. Luckily, a commander happened by and probably saved my life. Even so, when I was released, the gunmen told me to run and not look back. I feared they'd shoot me in the back, but they never fired. And one evening at dusk recently as I was driving out of another Taliban area, an armed man riding on a motorcycle roared up and flashed his headlight. I froze in fear. But his intention was friendly. He warned me somewhat belatedly that my car had just driven through a minefield.
    Last edited by Asim Aquil; 17 Dec 06,, 11:40.

Both the deals were s.h.i.t deals, so it make no difference.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Pakistan had a self-serving goal with the deal.

The British made a self-defeating goal just because they couldn't get more troops and resources.

Pak's deal is of a broader new understanding that Taliban has a future in Afghanistan's governance. They are calling it neo-Taliban, i.e. Broader Pashtun issues.

On the flip side the British claim to be out there to take out the Taliban. Yet they gave a province to them. What will be interesting is that would an year from now Kandahar be the new Helmand?

They seem confused, senseless and direction less.

Comment

Terrorists cannot have a future inside Afghanistan, ofcourse Taliban inside Afghanistan would greatly help Pakistan and allign Afghanistan with Pakistan again, but terrorists simply cannot hold power especially since they have driven Afghanistan right into sh!t...
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

People talk about Pakistan not been able to solve the Taliban problem, even a powerful modern force of the western nations couldn't keep Taliban from growing. We fought and we fought hard, there's just no well defined enemy. Unless we go on a killing spree of all the tribes, there's no way of ensuring the Taliban wont keep reemerging.

Taliban is no less terrorist than the people ruling today over there.

Taliban stop all hositilities in Afghanistan which no other group in decades has been able to do so. The Americans are leaving, the Brits are making deals, the Canadians are the only souls still putting up a fight...

I hope the resurgence of the old Taliban taking control over all of Afghanistan would be bad even for Pakistan. What Pakistan needs is calm in Afghanistan to establish its trade links with central asia. If the Taliban comes to power it won't forget Pakistan ditching them against the Americans.

Taliban winning this fight doesn't serve our purpose either. But instead if we are the ones able to bring a peaceful solution, then we at least would be starting on the right foot.

Comment

Working...
          X