Kerry is world's favorite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry is world's favorite

On Sunday, Sep 19, CNN presented results of the international poll indicating that "non-voting" nations generally preferred Kerry over Bush with a significant lead of the former in the poll. As far as Europe, only Poland gave a slight lead to Bush over Kerry. Meanwhile, Americans themselves seem to favor Bush over Kerry. Believe this has got much to do with Iraq -- Europeans don't like Bush because he invaded Iraq without getting a proper international consent for this action, but Americans like him because he demonstrated that the USA could do whatever it wants after all. The new global conflict, along the line "US - the rest of the world", seems to be emerging, unless the new US administration recognizes that it was wrong going to the war without having sufficient international backing.

Originally posted by Ulian
    On Sunday, Sep 19, CNN presented results of the international poll indicating that "non-voting" nations generally preferred Kerry over Bush with a significant lead of the former in the poll. As far as Europe, only Poland gave a slight lead to Bush over Kerry. Meanwhile, Americans themselves seem to favor Bush over Kerry. Believe this has got much to do with Iraq -- Europeans don't like Bush because he invaded Iraq without getting a proper international consent for this action, but Americans like him because he demonstrated that the USA could do whatever it wants after all. The new global conflict, along the line "US - the rest of the world", seems to be emerging, unless the new US administration recognizes that it was wrong going to the war without having sufficient international backing.
    Half these countries dont understand what freedom is. They don't understand whats behind the issues, and their governments are full of propoganda.

What do you expect?

Comment

They would have went for liberal Kerry, even without any excuses.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by TruthSpeak
        Half these countries dont understand what freedom is. They don't understand whats behind the issues, and their governments are full of propoganda.

What do you expect?
        If you believe that only half of them don't understand the issues then why the other half, the ones that do understand, still favor Kerry over Bush?

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
          They would have went for liberal Kerry, even without any excuses.
          I think they would have gone against aggresive Bush in the first place, irrespective whether Kerry was liberal enough

Comment

Not to mention...Kerry is Al Qaeda's favorite.

Comment

Kerry would have been my facourite if he was as forceful an orator as Bush.

Somehow he is not convincing.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Truth,

Please don't talk from the wrong side.

Do explain how you have the copyright to what is 'Freedom'

You are no better than a Bible thumping eccentric. Because of your bigotry, your argument which may have some validity is lost because it is given the contempt that it deserves.

Patriot Act. It is like the Commies of the USSR. Yet, maybe it is required at this moment for the safety of the USA. It sure is not Freedom.

Unless Freddom is the FBI now having the power to access your most private medical records, your library records, and your student records... and can prevent anyone from telling you it was done.

Heard of this?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

I didn't say it. A better American than you said it.
                Last edited by Ray; 22 Sep 04,, 20:14.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The surveys were carried out only in major metropolitan areas. Yes, there is a gulf, but it the fact that only those in large cities were surveyed skews the results.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
                    Patrick Henry said that, and it's one of my favorite quotes. It says it all...
                    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

The moment of truth will arrive in Nov.

No matter who on the international arena likes Kerry, it is only if America like him is what will matter.

The polls are not indicating any victory for Kerry.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3640754.stm

World 'wants Kerry as president'

A new poll in 35 countries suggests that people around the world would prefer Democratic challenger John Kerry as US president over George W Bush.
                        Global research company GlobeScan Inc and the University of Maryland found clear leads for Mr Kerry among those polled in 30 of the countries.

Only Filipino, Polish and Nigerian respondents clearly backed Mr Bush.

Most said Mr Bush's foreign policy had made them feel worse about the US since his election in 2000.

Meanwhile, a new survey of American and European public attitudes also suggested there had been a dramatic leap in the latter's criticism of US foreign policy.

More than three-quarters of Europeans surveyed in 10 countries by the German Marshall Fund of the US said they disapproved of President Bush's international actions, 20% more than two years ago.

The survey also showed sharp differences in how governments should respond to potential threats from terrorism and weapons of mass destruction.

More than 80% of Americans thought war could achieve justice - more than twice the proportion of Europeans.

Traditional allies

Because of access difficulties, polling was restricted to metropolitan areas in 11 of the countries.

"Only one in five want to see Bush re-elected," said Steven Kull, the director of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA).

"Though he is not as well known, Kerry would win handily if the people of the world were to elect the US president."

Mr Kerry scored best in traditional US allies, such as Canada and Western European countries.

The highest margin was in Norway, where 74% of respondents backed Mr Kerry compared with just 7% for Mr Bush. The strongest negative views about US foreign policy appeared to come from Germany, where 83% said their view of the US had got worse.

Respondents in all the Latin American countries polled, including neighbours Mexico, also went for the Democrat, with the biggest majority - 57% to 14% - in Brazil.

The picture was more mixed in Asia. Only respondents in the Philippines clearly backed Mr Bush, but there was an almost even divide in India and Thailand.

Organisers of the poll attributed the Philippine result to US aid to a military campaign against Islamist rebels in the south of the country.

The GlobeScan/Maryland poll, of 34,330 people, was conducted mainly in July and August.

POLL RESULTS (KERRY-BUSH)
                        Norway: 74%-7%
                        Germany: 74%-10%
                        France: 64%-5%
                        Italy: 58%-14%
                        Spain: 45%-7%
                        UK: 47%-16%
                        Canada: 61%-16%
                        Mexico: 38%-18%
                        Brazil: 57%-14%
                        China: 52%-12%
                        Japan: 43%-32%
                        Indonesia: 57%-34%
                        India: 34%-33%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philippines: 32%-57%
                        Nigeria: 33%-27%
                        Poland: 26%-31%
                        Thailand: 30%-33%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Source: GlobeScan Inc/University of Maryland PIPA
                        Last edited by turnagainarm; 23 Sep 04,, 14:45.

Comment

The surveys were carried out only in major metropolitan areas. Yes, there is a gulf, but it the fact that only those in large cities were surveyed skews the results.
                          Report from the BBC says survey was conducted only in the metropolitan areas of 11 countries, meaning that in the rest 24 it was carried in non-metropolitran areas as well.

I am guessing in countries like India, China, Thailand, Nigeria etc., it would not make sense to carry the survey in the rural areas as most of the people would not know who Bush or Kerry was.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                            The moment of truth will arrive in Nov.

No matter who on the international arena likes Kerry, it is only if America like him is what will matter.

The polls are not indicating any victory for Kerry.
                            This is true, of course. But the point is that such a big difference in opinion seems to indicate that Americans and the rest of the world have quite different views on how international matters should be handled. Are the Americans right and the rest of the world are wrong? Or vice versa? Or maybe both are wrong and the world should seek a different concept on which both would agree?

Comment

I can see totally why a a country would want a liberal government in the United States. As I see it a liberal president would be less likely to intervene in the foreign affairs of a sovereign state. A return to the textbook Westphalian Order if thats what you want to call it. I think a lot of Europe is pissed at the idea that America has to constantly police Europe. But economically I cant see where any nation would benefit from an extremely liberal government because they certaintly wouldnt tote the laisez faire attitude that conservatives generally do. I would think that a liberal government would be more of a protectionist / islationist in its thinking.
                              "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

Working...
                              X