War in Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War in Korea

How do you think a war in Korea would unfold and what would we need to bring to Theater to throw them back across the DMZ and destroy their military in short order?

Personally I think the North Korean military is pathetic. Their newest tank is the T-62 with a 115 mm gun. With the newest ERA it only has an RHA rating of around 700 on the frontal turret armor and the ERA is irrelivent against APFSDS rounds. A 115mm HEAT round will only penetrate around 500mm RHA and the steel penetrators in their Discarding Sabot rounds don't do much better at even 750 meters.

Sixteen Hundred of their three thousand five hundred tanks are T-55 tanks with only a 100mm gun and the armor is extremly thin armor. Including ERA it only has about 600mm RHA rating.

Well you know my feeling:-D

It'll be a slaughter house just trying to get thru the minefields.
    Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

I would not want to be a North Korean if war happens...

Comment

Larry Bond did an excellent treatment of the subject concerning a North Korean surprised attack. I strongly suggest Rising Phoenix as an excellent fictionalized version (meaning it ain't a dry read for those of us who reads FMs and write FMs for a living).

This being said, a current NK attack would not a surprised attack. Despite the large number of motor vehs in its inventory, any NKPA attack would be a foot race. We have not seen any large scale NKPA engr exercises, trying to breach those minefields. We do have evidence of those large tunnels, estimated to be 7 to 22 under the DMZ. Their effectiveness, however, is highly doubtful due to large scale oxygen consumption by both animal and vehicle and the resulting toxins they produce.

This leaves the traditional method of mine clearance - guns. And here is where it gets dicy. The NKPA got enough guns to either blast through the DMZ or hit soft targets (example Seoul) but not both.

If the NKs blast their way through the DMZ, then it's a foot race. There's going to be too much cratering for any vehicle to past through.

Comment

Well if what you say is true they are gonna get chewed up by Cluster Bombs, Artillery, MRLS Rockets, and ATACMS.

Heavy Mech Divisions from South Korea will advance on the North Koreans and they will get totaly butchered.

Comment

We've discussed this issue before, the only manouver force worth its weight is the US 2ID. The SK div are too static to manouver in time.

Comment

Would it even matter if the South Korean divisions can't manouver quickly?

If it is a straight out Infantry advance they won't stand a chance.

Comment

The way I see it is that they'll breach the DMZ through both sheer firepower and manpower and then, they'll die at the hands of the SKs at Seoul or by the 2ID anywhere else. The reason being is that the SKs had always anticipated Seoul to be a OPOBJ and hence have stocked that city. Anywhere else, you have foot soldiers going against the mechanized American 2ID, guess who do I bet on.

Comment

There's no prospect for a war in Korea.
                  SKs wont support the US in a strike against them.
                  And the US cant afford to win or loose. If the US wins,
                  it will unleash mushroom clouds, if it looses, bye bye US foriegn policy.
                  Unless the US purposefully wants to collapse, it wont attack NK.
                  (or Iran in a year or two).

The thing is, once a third world country develops nukes, the whole
                  reason for them is detterence against bigger powers. So they dont
                  get attacked.

If I were NK, I would just start reducing the amount of forces and armies.
                  Start feeding the people instead of feeding the soldiers, because the
                  threat of war for them is pretty much over. No country can afford
                  to attack them now. Might as well take advantage of that and start
                  to develop as a nation, and not keep spending on military.
                  The same I would say for my own country Pakistan.

Comment

Please Think Again!

You can't just hide an ICBM, people are going to know where it is.

Comment

maybe they will just do what they did in the last Bond movie and blast the DMZ from space with a sattelite weapon :D .

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                        Please Think Again!

You can't just hide an ICBM, people are going to know where it is.

NK doesnt need ICBMs to target American cities.
                        There is a 90% chance that nukes can be smuggled inside
                        America. In my opinion, ballistic missiles are just for show.
                        They are for paper realities and armchair analysis.

The ground reality is that nukes dont need missiles or delivery
                        systems to reach their destination. All they need is a container
                        on a cargo ship, from a 3rd party destination. And they can be shipped
                        anywhere in the world, like you would a book from Amazon.com.

Comment

What prof do you have?

How do they get it to China(these nukes are not small like the ones we have, they would be as big as the ones we droped at Nagisaki). They would have to be transported in large trucks and go through Chinese security which would check for suspecious things(they don't trust the North Koreans obviously).

Now after this you have to bring it to a major port in China. Now they have to manage to smuggle it onto the ship using a car or something inside a container. Now the nuke has to go undetected and undamaged from the port in China to the one in the US(which now has systems to check for radiation). Then someone in the United States pre-planted there will have to smuggle the container off the ship, sneak it into downtown of the city and then detonate it without anyone stoping them.

It is not as easy as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus

What prof do you have?

How do they get it to China(these nukes are not small like the ones we have, they would be as big as the ones we droped at Nagisaki). They would have to be transported in large trucks and go through Chinese security which would check for suspecious things(they don't trust the North Koreans obviously).

Now after this you have to bring it to a major port in China. Now they have to manage to smuggle it onto the ship using a car or something inside a container. Now the nuke has to go undetected and undamaged from the port in China to the one in the US(which now has systems to check for radiation). Then someone in the United States pre-planted there will have to smuggle the container off the ship, sneak it into downtown of the city and then detonate it without anyone stoping them.

It is not as easy as you think.

What makes you think they have to go through China?

And even if they go through China, you think as if they will
                            travel in military trucks or something? They can travel by sea
                            through busy Shanghai ports with other trade goods, where no one will
                            check them. With a contact which will be waiting for them, then
                            upon reciept, will forward them with cargo destined to the UK or
                            something. And another contact could take them and forward them
                            to NY.

There was a report in the US, I think it was prepared by the State Dept.
                            or something a while back which said that there is a 90% chance
                            of a successful smuggling nukes inside the US.

And remember, miniturizing of nukes isnt that hard. Pakistan did it.

Comment

This is all assuming they have nuclear weapons. For all we know they maybe full of shit. Until they test one I am going to doughtful.

They understand that if they fight a conventional war against the US and lose the consaquences will be smaller but if they detonate a nuke in the United States their entire country is going to disapear. I dought even Kim Jong Ill is that crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X