Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left or right handed?

Are you left or right handed?

I write with my left hand, but for all tasks involving the use of my arm, I use my right arm.

Some snippets from Wikipedia:
    Some left-handed people consider themselves oppressed, even to the point of prejudice. Etymology often lends weight to the argument:

In many European languages, "right" stands for authority and justice: German and Dutch, recht, French, droit, Spanish, diestro; in most Slavic languages the root prav is used in words carrying meanings of correctness or justice. Being right-handed has also historically been thought of as being skillful: the Latin word for right-handed is "dexter," as in dexterity; indeed, the Spanish term diestro means both "right-handed" and "skillful".

Meanwhile, the English word "sinister" comes from Latin and it originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by time of the Classical Latin era. "Sinister" comes from the Latin word sinus meaning "pocket": a traditional Roman toga had only one pocket, located on the left side for the convenience of a right-handed wearer. The contemporary Italian word sinistra has both meanings of sinister and left. The Spanish siniestra has both, too, although the 'left' meaning is less common and is usually expressed by 'izquierda,'[15] a Basque word. The German word for left is links, and the adjective link in German has the meaning of "slyly" or "devious", while linken means "to betray" or "to cheat" (sb.).

A left-hander was supposed to be not only unlucky, but also awkward and clumsy, as shown in the French gauche and the German links and linkisch. As these are all very old words, they support theories indicating that the predominance of right-handedness is an extremely old phenomenon.In Portuguese, the most common word for left-handed person, canhoto, was once used to identify the devil, and canhestro, a related word, means "clumsy".

In ancient China, the left has been the "bad" side. The adjective "left" (左 Mandarin: zuo) means "improper" or "out of accord." For instance, the phrase "left path" (左道 Mandarin: zuodao) stands for illegal or immoral means. In some parts of China, some adults can still remember suffering for the "crime" (with suitable traumatic punishments) of not learning to be right-handed in both primary and secondary schools, as well as in some "keeping-good-face" families.

In Norwegian, the expression venstrehåndsarbeid (left-hand work) means "something that is done in a sloppy or insatisfactory way".

Even the word "ambidexterity" reflects the bias. Its intended meaning is, "skillful at both sides." However, since it keeps the Latin root "dexter," which means "right," it ends up conveying the idea of being "right-handed at both sides."
    Cross-dominance, also known as mixed-handedness, mixed dominance and cross laterality, is a motor skills manifestation in which a person not necessarily being truly ambidextrous favors one hand for some crucial and precise fine motor skill operations and the other hand for others tasks. It can be readily observed, for example, in some police force members who hold a pistol with one hand and write with the other.

It can also refer to mixed laterality, which refers to a person favoring eyes, ears, feet, or hands on opposite sides of the body. Cross-dominance can often be a problem when shooting or in activities that require aim, as the mind usually focuses on a side.
    Left
    23.29%
    Right
    65.75%
    Mixed Dominance
    10.96%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I'm left handed, the only thing I am right handed in is hockey.

Comment

Ambidextrous, except for writing- RH. All else is either/or no pref.
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I'm right handed except for 2 tasks: driving and batting.

I can only drive with my left hand. Right hand is too stupid to hold the wheel.

I can only bat with my left hand. Right hand just feels weird. It wasn't always that way. I bought a right handed batting glove and got used to hitting left handed. However, if I pick up a bat for anything other than hitting a baseball, I would be right handed.

I voted right handed because my left handedness is too specific.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar View Post
          I'm left handed, the only thing I am right handed in is hockey.
          That's just a weird thing I noticed about hockey players. Usually right handed people shoot left in hockey, if they started young. Most people who started later shoot the same hand as their dominant hand. Why is that?
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Im left handed, but an evil housekeeper when I was little taught me to use chopsticks with my right hand using the old time tested method of open hand to back of head. I can still eat with either hand.

Comment

Me right handed...although i really should try to be more ambidextrous.

Comment

I am definitely ambidextrous, as I am equally gauche with either hand!
                Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I read somewhere back awhile ago, that lefties were more intelligent. I think it was even discussed here a long time back. The left-handers I've ever known were highly intelligent. ;)

For me, I am right-handed in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                    I read somewhere back awhile ago, that lefties were more intelligent. I think it was even discussed here a long time back. The left-handers I've ever known were highly intelligent. ;)

For me, I am right-handed in everything.
                    There is no such thing as lefties are more intelligent or anything...but there is such a thing which says"lefties are more accident prone"

Comment

Born lefty, converted to Right hand by stoopid school teachers and parents. They forced me to write Right. Now I do most things mix or Right.
                      I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

I can hoist a beer with either hand.:)
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I have also heard where left handers are more intelligent and I also have known that to be true in most cases of left handed people I have known.

But I am not one of them. I remain right handed.

My small room mate used her left hand for everything when she started to do small motor skill things. I think because her father and I are both right handed, though, she mimicked us and switched. She is also right handed.
                          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Left handed except for writing. That I used to do with left as well before the penguins changed that via ruler/yardstick to right. Writing with your left hand in those days was deemed unaccaptable.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 14 Dec 06,, 16:24.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

"Left handed people are evil I tell ya." SMACK.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X