Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAH!! I feel like I had my heart torn out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAH!! I feel like I had my heart torn out...

So I just learned today, that I am un-qaulified to join any combat-arms trades..

I passed my aptitude test, and passed my physical..its not that. Its that I have a speech inpedement, had it since I could speak...I blame it on my genes. My grandfather had a stutter also, but he was a tanker durin WW2, I told them that, but I guess that doesnt matter.

The reasoning, is that they fear my speech indpediment will get in the way of communication on the battle field and could result in the death of injury of me or others around me... That part made me feel really bad about myself

So now im at a loss as to what I should do. Ive been mulling around with weapons or vehicle tech.

I figure that once I get in, I can actually afford proper therapy, and maybe I can then see what happens.

Dont know why im telling you all this..but yeah

Bad luck. I take it the recruiters were guiding you towards a technical trade? As has been mentioned on WAB before, it is easier to enlist on some occasions than others - usually depending on whether or not a war is brewing. I have known perfectly good soldiers with a stammer during my service. One in particular would stammer in conversation, quite badly on occasion, but could address large numbers of people without difficulty! BTW I see you are 23, any reason you didn't apply sooner?
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

That sucks mate, my sympathies.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

My friend, do NOT feel bad about yourself. Personally, I commend you for the enthusiastic and well-intentioned effort. I wish I could express how much I truly mean that.

There aren't enough guys out there with their hearts in the right place, and mate, I'm proud of you for being one of them.

Don't give up; if you want to serve, then SERVE. There are other ways to do that without being in Combat Arms, or even in the military. I know a Coast Guard reservist that walks on crutches - seriously. You can do a lot, so please - don't get negative. We need that spirit of yours where it's always been before today: in the fight.

Comment

Canmoore,
          I understand your disappointment, but don't forget that it is all one team, one fight. Sometimes we don't get to play the position we want, but that doesn't mean that we don't contribute. Also, as glyn pointed out, it is much easier to maneuver around the system once you are inside the system as opposed to outside. This isn't a guarantee that it would happen, and I'd talk with OoE about the realistic chances of you serving in your dream position, but I've seen many things happen in the US Army that were because of persistance and tenacity in seeking one's dreams. Best of luck with your decisions on serving.

Cheers.
          Shek
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Well here is a time to ask a question I have had and never really thought of asking...

My cousin was in the Marine Corps over in Afganistan. Found he had Crones and was discharged for medical. Now he is back in Afganistan, doing the same job, in the same desk that he was doing before (only of course getting paid more because we all know that makes sense).

Why can this be? Wouldn't it be more cost beneficial to have him there as military instead of a civilian?
            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
              Well here is a time to ask a question I have had and never really thought of asking...

My cousin was in the Marine Corps over in Afganistan. Found he had Crones and was discharged for medical. Now he is back in Afganistan, doing the same job, in the same desk that he was doing before (only of course getting paid more because we all know that makes sense).

Why can this be? Wouldn't it be more cost beneficial to have him there as military instead of a civilian?
              There's good reasons for it.

ONE, sometimes a highly-paid contractor IS cheaper. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but really - run the numbers and be amazed.

TWO, sometimes that REMF-in-uniform will be called on to do stuff that is WAAAY outside his 'job'. (Most pernicious Bad Idea that a military guy can get is that he's a 'this' or a 'that', instead of the reality that he's a FIGHTING MAN, just as much as any dogface in a line unit.) He's always got to be ready to go and get muddy and bloody, and if he's got Crone's he ain't the guy you're looking for. The contractor, though? All he's expected to do is...what he's being paid to do.

So, there really is a good reason to demand stuff from him in one role, and not the other, even if he's exactly where he was before.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                BTW I see you are 23, any reason you didn't apply sooner?
                Funny thing is that my father was in the military for 20 something years, before retiring in 2001 (before 911). Originally he was with the airborn, then he switched to vehicle tech (mechanic). As a kid I never really thought of joining up, my father never pushed me to do it or anything, I had lots of friends who's parents were in the military, I grew up near CFB Borden, so the military sights and sounds were always in my life..

I always thought about joining the military, just never really seriously. I went to college, graduated, and started working.

What got me interested in joining, was a friend I met. He was in the military, and the way he talked about it, it just really got me excited about it, I thought about it for a long time, about a year, then I finally made the decision. The whole flare up in Afghanistan this summer, and just seeing how much the people of this country came together to support our troops was really amazing, and made me proud to be Canadian. That was all the push I needed to join up.

Being rejected for Armour was a real big disapointment in me. I know that any trade in the military is serving this country, as equal as any other, but I want to be on the front lines, defending and preserving Freedom that I took for granted for so long. I want to wear the Canadian Flag on my shoulder and know that I deserve to wear it. Id think that if I was just some pencil pusher, That I wouldnt really be as deserving as the boys and girls in the dust and heat in Afghanistan.

I contacted my recruiter today, and set up a date that I can look at my other options. Im just a little bumbed out right now..but ill get over it.:)

Comment

I'm glad that you have already contacted the recruiters for an interview so that they can spell out what options are available to you. Once you are in uniform, and have completed initial recruit training you may be able to transfer to another branch or trade of the service. The retention rate is not as high as it once was, in the UK armed forces, and others, so transfers should be possible (preferably early on in your service). Good luck to you
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Military bureaucracy

Don't be disappointed. My first trip to the recruiting office was a dismal failure. It seems they didn't like the fact I have asthma and allergies (the two go hand in hand), specifically to wool and feathers.

The second time around I just didn't tell them. It seems that lots of people in the military have similar problems. Once your in it's not enough to get you discharged. I ended up in a US Army Reserve delayed entry program and a slot to NCO school.

Of course all that became moot when I ended up in the South African army. My two years of community college insured me a promotion to Corporal upon enlisting. They could'nt have cared less about my asthma (it wasn't that bad). They issued me with an Epipen and medication to take if I needed it. I never did.

In South Africa they had never heard of "quarter system" and were unsure what a "community college" was. My transcripts showed eight "semesters" including the summer sessions. They thought I'd completed four years of college! I didn't bother correcting them. I went with the promotion...

It sounds like they will accept you. Working within the system can be much more productive. Remember being a soldier is not just about being an officer. "They too also serve"...
                    Last edited by sappersgt; 13 Dec 06,, 00:10.
                    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Canmoore,

Which regt were you aiming for? The Strats I had to say, you're SOL. The competition is that tough. However, the Crazy 8s, RCDs, and the Duece are still viable.

At this point, as I indicated to you before, get through your recruit course 1st. Depending on how you well perform there (which will require you to communicate in the field), you can still rebadge back over to arm'd. However, you will have to shine there.

After you finish recruit, talk to your CSM about rebadging. I will warn you that you will be the one required to do all the paperwork. Don't rely on your troop warrant or the CSM to do any of it. Fill them out and then have them sign them.

Talk to me after you finish recruit and let me see what I can do for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                        Being rejected for Armour was a real big disapointment in me. I know that any trade in the military is serving this country, as equal as any other, but I want to be on the front lines, defending and preserving Freedom that I took for granted for so long. I want to wear the Canadian Flag on my shoulder and know that I deserve to wear it. Id think that if I was just some pencil pusher, That I wouldnt really be as deserving as the boys and girls in the dust and heat in Afghanistan.
                        You have been listening to us combat arms guys beat our chest too much.

That pencil pushing REMF is just as important as the trigger puller. If he doesn't do his job then that grunt doesn't get paid. Which means his wife and children in the rear don't have food, getting kicked out of their house. Now grunt boy really doesn't have his head in the game and the Maj Sheks are spending time working on that instead of operations stuff.

Stuff that may include Pencil Pushing Bluesman intel IPB. Which kept the pilot of the chopper I was flying in, from getting shot down since Bluesman IDed those SAM sites.

And lets not forget that pencil pushing supply guy that provided the fuel, bullets and got those repair parts for the M-240 that made the mission sucessful. The steel don't fly without supply.

We are all a team. And every job is important. Theres no shame in your game just because you don't ride around in a tank.

Now that doesn't stop us from harrassing each other from time to time. Notice my signature Doesn't mean I think any less of a service member because they are not Marines. Nor did I think less of any Marine because he wasn't out in the hot tick infested boonies with me. (As long as I got chow, mail and pay)

Comment

Thanks..that all makes me feel better.

OoE, I had decided on RCD, but still no dice.

My uncle is head of recruitment (and no I didn't tell my recruiter that, I dont like handouts, I work for what I get in life.)

He (my uncle) told me to just get into any trade I can, and go from there. So yeah im just going to do whatever I can to get recruited. From there who knows, as long as I am a member of the CF I will be happy.

Gun Grape, your post was very helpful. I understand how important every trade is, I guess that I underestimated the "team" aspect of the forces, and was focusing to much on one factor of it.

Comment

Being an XO is an eye opener for most LTs. As a platoon leader, chow just magically shows up when you're out training - that's just the way it is. It's only when it doesn't show up that you realize that someone has to order it, cook it, drive it - it doesn't just grow on trees. Without the team effort, it doesn't happen.
                            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Hey sappersgt, when did you serve in the South African Army? Was it before the Apartheid or afterwards? If before, how did the American embassy take it when they found out that you had been serving in an military force that wasn't in good graces with the American government?

Comment

Working...
                              X