Good ol Kofi at it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good ol Kofi at it again...

He just can't resist lashing out at the U.S. Wheres his indignation at Iran for hosting a conferance on how the holocaust is a big lie? Leader of the civilized world? My *****.....
    http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/US+...etect=&abc=abc

Kofi Annan delivered his final major speech as UN Secretary General in Independence, Mo., cautioning the United States against ignoring its own democratic principles.

CBC News

United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan makes his farewell address at the Truman Library in Independence, Mo., on Monday.
    (Charlie Riedel/Associated Press)
    Annan said that security around the world is not possible without respect for the rule of law. He praised the U.S. as historically being at the vanguard of the human rights movement, but said that reputation should be upheld even in the fight against terrorism.

"When it [America] appears to abandon its own ideals and objectives, its friends abroad are naturally troubled and confused," he said.

Annan said it was fitting to talk about the lessons he's learned in the last decade at the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum, calling the U.S. president of 1945-1953 the "master-builder" of the UN.

While not mentioning the current U.S. administration in name, Annan said today's leaders need to live up to Truman's "far-sighted" principles.

"He showed what can be achieved when the U.S. assumes that responsibility," said Annan. "And still today, none of our global institutions can accomplish much when the U.S. remains aloof. But when it is fully engaged, the sky's the limit."

Afterward, Annan bristled at his speech being described as a "pointed attack" on the U.S., preferring to see it as a call to uphold democratic principles practised since Truman's time.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack also downplayed the conflict angle.

"He is entitled to his opinion," McCormack said. "There's no secretary general of the United Nations that's going to be in lockstep with the United States or any other country with regard to its policies. It's not that person's job."

Annan will end his second five-year term as secretary general at the end of the month. He will be succeeded by South Korea's Ban Ki-moon.

He characterized his time as UN chief as "difficult but exhilarating" and said that security and prosperity for all nations can only be accomplished by leaders working together in a multilateral system.

The secretary general said he feared the response to the genocide crisis in Darfur, Sudan, had not gone beyond "lip service." He also touched upon other issues confronting the planet, including climate change and the spread of HIV/AIDS.

Annan also said the UN Security Council is in need of reform, saying its "membership still reflects the reality of 1945." He suggested adding new members to represent parts of the world with less of a voice.

With files from the Associated Press
    Last edited by smilingassassin; 12 Dec 06,, 12:06.
    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Too bad the floor didn't erupt into "na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye" at the end of business that day. The man has turned the UN into a joke during his tenure.
    F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Agreed! A very expensive joke in poor taste. The standing of the UN has never been lower.
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I have never seen anyone who was more of a lost soul. Annan really has no clue as to what is going on in the world. I can only hope than when his tenure is history, the U.N. will be able to throw off the shackles of fraud and corruption so it can return to a reasonable course and do some good. I am not holding my breath though and if the new leader "stays the course" then it is time to disban the U.N. as all hope is lost.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I couldnt wait to see him GOING GOING GONE! Yeah thats it keep bashing us you crooked bastard. Useless prick! I look forward to seeing what the South Korean can do with the U.N.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I see he also only NOW just decided to comment on Darfur as a major crisis.....Gee Kofi thanks for blowing the horn on that one, several years after the fact.

Kofi Annan, the largest blight on the U.N.s image yet....
            Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Working...
            X