Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U(-2)nbelievable

F-16.net

This story was told to me by my father (a former SR-71 RSO) several years ago. I cannot remember the names or squadron information or even where it happened. But I do know that it is true.
    A U-2 is nearing final approach when (it was later determined) the pilot has a seizure. The plane then under its own control begins a slow descending turn to the right, with the right wing hanging down to the ground at about 45 degrees.

Just before the right wing is about to strike the ground, which would have proven catastrophic, it clips a set of four high tension wires. By the time the wing cuts through the fourth wire the plane has turned nearly 180 degrees (due to the wires) and has come to a nearly level slow flight just above the ground. It's slow and level enough that the plane crash lands softly enough that the pilot survives.

As the pilot regains consciousness he begins to climb out of the cockpit through a rather large hole in the canopy created by the crash. As he is climbing out he accidentally deploys the ejection seat. Normally this would have thrown the canopy back on its rails and cut the pilot in two. However the ejection mechanism has been damaged by the crash and the canopy stays put. The seat fires, but it too has been damaged and only explodes with enough energy to flip the pilot out of the cockpit and deposit him, on his feet, in the field next the plane.

I swear it's true story.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

come on man

Comment

Note to Gio:

We need an emoticon, like ARFCOM's BS Flag.

Do we have a BS Flag?

I repeat!..we need a B..S..Flag!

Edit!: Found it!

Comment

Hey, I posted what I read. It sounds like an urban legend, but who knows? I'l check www.snopes.com and see if they have anything on it...
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Could be true.

A USN SEAL jumped out of a Herc in the 80's from 800 feet, chute didn't deploy.

Dude bounced 30 feet in the air.....and lived.

Only minor cuts and bruises.

That's a true story.

Comment

That I can believe. Can you post a link so I can read the whole story?

Comment

Working...
            X