Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada police commissioner quits

Canada police commissioner quits

Canada's police chief has resigned after admitting he misled parliament in the case of a man deported to Syria over suspected terror links.

Maher Arar claims he was tortured in Damascus after being detained by US officials while changing planes in the US on a journey from Tunisia to Ottawa.

A Canadian government inquiry cleared him of any involvement in terrorism.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli said his force had made major mistakes.

In a letter to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Mr Zaccardelli said the controversy surrounding the case was making it increasingly difficult for him and his officers.

"Commissioner Zaccardelli submitted his resignation to me and I have accepted it. [He] has indicated to me that it would be in the best interests of the RCMP to have new leadership," Mr Harper said.

Read more here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6216064.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Good, I am glad he quit. The RCMP has been tainted with incompitence and corruption under his watch.

Namely the Air India investigation. Under his watch, the RCMP dystroyed and fixed evidence to cover there own ass's...meaning that the world will never see justice for the worst pre-911 terrorist attack ever.

Also, in March of 2005. 4 "green" officers were sent to the home of a known pchociopath, the man then opened fire on the officers with his high powerd rifle, killing 4 of them, before taking his own life. No choppers or canine units were sent in to rescue the officers calls for backup.

numerous cases of mistaken identity, bumblings in investigations wich resulted in the trial being botched and the suspects get away innocent.

And now the Arar case is added to the things that occured under his watch.

I like most Canadians are proud that the RCMP are Canadian, but the force is corrupted and rotting from the inside out. Somethign drastic needs to be done, lest the government decided to just pull the plug all together and disband the RCMP, and have the western provinces police themselves like Ontario and Quebec does.

Comment

I don't think the RCMP needs to be disbanded, simply cleaned up.

I do agree that the Air India enquiry was a treasonable travesty.
      Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Working...
      X