Japanese X-Planes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese X-Planes

It is seldom heard of but there was a Japanese X-Plane project unlike that seen in the West or Europe (Germany). The J7W1 and J7W2 single seat canard configuration fighter's. Only 2 or 3 were built and the okay was given at that time to proceed to full scale production (little did they know that it was almost bombs away). The Smithsonian Garber Facility has 1 full (pieces) complete aircraft due tfor full restoration.

Here's a web site with excellent historical information:
    http://www.wwiitech.net/main/japan/aircraft/j7w/

I find it a beautiful aircraft (albeit under powered at the time).

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    ~ Gary Mikami ~
    Live 'N Let Live!

Originally posted by Hk40
    It is seldom heard of but there was a Japanese X-Plane project unlike that seen in the West or Europe (Germany). The J7W1 and J7W2 single seat canard configuration fighter's. Only 2 or 3 were built and the okay was given at that time to proceed to full scale production (little did they know that it was almost bombs away). The Smithsonian Garber Facility has 1 full (pieces) complete aircraft due tfor full restoration.

Enjoy!
    Thanks! :) Reminds me of some Horton brothers stuff.
    Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chap
      ...The Horton's definite pioneer's in gliders and who took great efforts in exploring the flying wing concept. We might very well look back on someday with very high regard as we take a flight cross-country in a blended-wing body design that could be common place.
      Cheers, indded!
      ~ Gary Mikami ~
      Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

By the Way you also posted the same web site as a refrence that I had originally had done...

Enjoy!

Cheerio!
        ~ Gary Mikami ~
        Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

Excellent website on Japanese test designs, I really enjoyed it.

But just to tweak your nose...Not seen in Europe or the US? You mean, like these? lol

Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet

Dornier Do 335 Pfiel

And then the Italian SAI SS.4, for which I can find no photo.
          Last edited by Horrido; 28 Aug 04,, 05:43.
          The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
            Excellent website on Japanese test designs, I really enjoyed it.

But just to tweak your nose...Not seen in Europe or the US? You mean, like these? lol

Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet

Dornier Do 335 Pfiel

And then the Italian SAI SS.4, for which I can find no photo.
            Anyone with the 'slightest' interest in military avaiation knows the aircraft that you have shown rather well (nose-tweaking-counter-measures). I won't even comment on the Curtiss Ascender and the Black Bullet. The Pfiel is another story. Also if you read my post carefully you should understand that even though J7W1 is a little known X-Plane, it went into production, while the Ascender and B. Bullet had not.
            One other small detail - although you mention and or show the Pfiel in Italian colors, it's all German (a liscense was given to Italy, Spain and a few other countries to produce these [an attempt to increase prod. rates])and the Smithsonian has fully restored one of these babies also.
            ~ Gary Mikami ~
            Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

Preaching to the choir, but the Pfiel is German in German markings, the SAI SS4 is not shown, as stated.
              The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
                Preaching to the choir, but the Pfiel is German in German markings, the SAI SS4 is not shown, as stated.
                Ya ...Know I saw that too after the fact....And also checkout the background. It looks like Maryland? I bet that the image is of the restored Pfiel at the Smithsonian on top of it all. They will have used the true German markings as shown.
                Nice catch Horido!
                ;)
                ~ Gary Mikami ~
                Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

Originally posted by Hk40
                  By the Way you also posted the same web site as a refrence that I had originally had done...

Enjoy!

Cheerio!
                  Thanks!

Sorry about the inadvertent post Much better at books than computers!
                  I can't tell if the photo is the Do 335 or 335 V9. Still, kudos for being the fastest piston engined aircraft to enter series production ever!
                  Speaking of which
                  One of the many books that I picked up in the bookshop at the Smithsonian DC (almost as if I had planned to piss the nice folk at VISA off) was a book with great pics and specs:
                  Luftwaffe Secret Projects
                  Midland Publishing Ltd.
                  ISBN 1 85780 052 4
                  £29.95 in good old fashioned Sterling or roughly 19 new fangled colonial "dollars"
                  Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Thanks!

Sorry about the inadvertent post Much better at books than computers!
                    I can't tell if the photo is the Do 335 or 335 V9. Still, kudos for being the fastest piston engined aircraft to enter series production ever!
                    Speaking of which
                    One of the many books that I picked up in the bookshop at the Smithsonian DC (almost as if I had planned to piss the nice folk at VISA off) was a book with great pics and specs:
                    Luftwaffe Secret Projects
                    Midland Publishing Ltd.
                    ISBN 1 85780 052 4
                    £29.95 in good old fashioned Sterling or roughly 19 new fangled colonial "dollars"
                    While ture Chap the Pfiel is na awesome design and probably one of the if the best 'tandem' designed aircraft ever built ;) . It's a shame the Japanese didn't explore that realm. The J7W1 is probably one of the finer examples of a 'pusher'-prop deisgn that really didn't see anything like it until Rutan ahd come along, some 60 years later. Cheers!
                    ~ Gary Mikami ~
                    Live 'N Let Live!

Comment

there was a jet version of it to, but it was still on the drawing boards. they had all sorts of crazy designs
                      "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

They were crafty that's for sure. They had aquired blueprints to the ME-262's as Germany would not allow them to take a plane home.

They found out that smaller engines were needed and produced an ME-262 variant that was far superior to the German's counterpart.

I remember seeing a documentary also about the many underground aircraft facilities in the mountains in Japan they found post-war.

Comment

Working...
                        X