PDA

View Full Version : NYPD prepares for protests

ChrisF202
20 Aug 04,, 21:39
Some pics of NYPD and other law enforcement officers preparing for the RNC protests. Hopefully the mere sight of these guys at the protest will keep the peace.

http://www.nynewsday.com/media/photo/2004-08/13892245.jpg

http://www.nynewsday.com/media/photo/2004-08/13892247.jpg

http://www.nynewsday.com/media/photo/2004-08/13892260.jpg

http://www.nynewsday.com/media/photo/2004-08/13891575.jpg

http://www.nynewsday.com/media/photo/2004-08/13861330.jpg

Lets say a prayer for these guys and hope they arent pelted with bottles, stones, etc like in the anti-war protest before the Iraq war began.

Confed999
21 Aug 04,, 00:01
It's sad they have to prepare for an anti-war demonstration.

ChrisF202
21 Aug 04,, 00:31
It's sad they have to prepare for an anti-war demonstration.
Yeah espically when litterly EVERY Anti-Bush, Anti-Govt., Anti-War, Wacko group in the country is headed to NYC. :mad: :frown:

Confed999
21 Aug 04,, 00:48
Nobody did that to their convention.

ChrisF202
29 Aug 04,, 16:25
300 people have been arrested so far for convention related disturbances, 264 on Friday night alone.

Confed999
29 Aug 04,, 17:50
If you break the law, you should go to jail...

ChrisF202
29 Aug 04,, 18:06
The protest has gone peaceful so far, only 25 arrests. However it will be a different story if they march into Central Park later on as they have said they will do.

Major_Armstrong
30 Aug 04,, 00:20
They should keep the names and information about everyone arrested in a terrorism database.

ChrisF202
30 Aug 04,, 14:08
lol Major, I dunno. But did you notice how alot of the protestors looked like hippies from the 60s? Or how one guy blamed Bush for installing the Shah of Iran in 1953? Shows how loony they are. 200 people arrested yesterday in total and they claim it was a "very peaceful" protest, yeah it was no Seattle '99 or Miami '00 but 200 arrests is alot. They seemed to blame everything that could go wrong on Bush, if they tripped down the stairs it must be the fault of Bush and then they would come out with some stupid, totally unaccurate statement like "its Bush's fault because he cut back the number of building inspectors to make sure my stairs was built right".

I hope Leslie Cagan marches into Central Park for the "peoples picnic" Jesse Jackson and Michael Moore spoke of, im sure the NYPD and NYC Parks Police would love to join, maybe Ms Cagan can join her comrades in arms for lunch in the Metropolitian Detention Center.

jjacobs43
30 Aug 04,, 20:01
Shows how loony they are.

When you're talking about 400,000 protestors it makes it quite hard to label the whole lot as "loony". Maybe some thought should be put into what has made so many people feel it was important enough to go to New York and voice their opinion.

ChrisF202
30 Aug 04,, 21:42
When you're talking about 400,000 protestors it makes it quite hard to label the whole lot as "loony". Maybe some thought should be put into what has made so many people feel it was important enough to go to New York and voice their opinion.
Yes not all are loonies, but half of them looked like leftovers from Chicago '68 and the whole hippie thing.

The actual number of protestors was 150,000 according to the NYPD, I will take their estimate over Leslie Cagans any day.

Confed999
31 Aug 04,, 00:37
it makes it quite hard to label the whole lot as "loony"
Not really. They're going to liberal New York city, to protest a bunch of die hard Republicans... Whose mind are they trying to change, because neither group available cares? Seems like a huge waste of time and resources, and a bit looney as well. To me, it would be like a hundred thousand conservatives going to protest the DNC, that would be foolish, and a bit looney too. ;)

Major_Armstrong
31 Aug 04,, 00:43
lol Major, I dunno. But did you notice how alot of the protestors looked like hippies from the 60s? Or how one guy blamed Bush for installing the Shah of Iran in 1953? Shows how loony they are. 200 people arrested yesterday in total and they claim it was a "very peaceful" protest, yeah it was no Seattle '99 or Miami '00 but 200 arrests is alot. They seemed to blame everything that could go wrong on Bush, if they tripped down the stairs it must be the fault of Bush and then they would come out with some stupid, totally unaccurate statement like "its Bush's fault because he cut back the number of building inspectors to make sure my stairs was built right".

I hope Leslie Cagan marches into Central Park for the "peoples picnic" Jesse Jackson and Michael Moore spoke of, im sure the NYPD and NYC Parks Police would love to join, maybe Ms Cagan can join her comrades in arms for lunch in the Metropolitian Detention Center.

The main reason why I want to vote for Bush is revenge against people like that. Some of them would vote Saddam Hussein into power if they could just to keep Bush from getting re-elected.

ChrisF202
31 Aug 04,, 00:55
The main reason why I want to vote for Bush is revenge against people like that. Some of them would vote Saddam Hussein into power if they could just to keep Bush from getting re-elected.
Yup, if John Kerry were to wake up tommorow morning at announce that he would have every homosexual in America locked up, they would still vote for him. They are blind in their quest to push Bush out of office.

Major_Armstrong
31 Aug 04,, 01:30
This leftist saw the light.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=11241

ChrisF202
01 Sep 04,, 13:51
1,200 people were arrested yesterday bringing the total to about 1,800 arrested in total, CNN.com hasent said a single word on its site about yesterday's protests. Its pushing the NYPD and other agencies to the limit :frown:

griftadan
02 Sep 04,, 05:47
300 people have been arrested so far for convention related disturbances, 264 on Friday night alone.
there gonna bitch about that too, saying that big brother is trampling theyre rights....

ChrisF202
02 Sep 04,, 15:38
there gonna bitch about that too, saying that big brother is trampling theyre rights....
They already have lol. According to Newsday, as they were being taken away they were shouting "stop stomping on our rights" and "this is a police state" ... and my favorite lol "They are attacking there own people, we have no freedom in this country" and stuff in that league.

turnagainarm
03 Sep 04,, 03:19
Given the number of arrests already, the accusation of police state is not too farfetched.

I thought in a democratic country people had the right to protest peacefully and judging from media reports they have been peaceful so far.

griftadan
03 Sep 04,, 04:45
Given the number of arrests already, the accusation of police state is not too farfetched.

I thought in a democratic country people had the right to protest peacefully and judging from media reports they have been peaceful so far.
the problem is when you dont protest peacefully and start a riot. thats where your right ends

turnagainarm
03 Sep 04,, 05:14
the problem is when you dont protest peacefully and start a riot. thats where your right ends

Totally agree with you there. But I am sure you must have noticed yourself that the the protests were totally peaceful as reported by the media.

That is why 1800 arrests for a 4 days of peaceful protests does sound like a police state.

Afterall if you can't protests in a democratic country then where else could you?

BTW for comparison at the democratic convention in Boston there were only 6 arrests in 4 days.

Confed999
03 Sep 04,, 05:34
That is why 1800 arrests for a 4 days of peaceful protests does sound like a police state.

BTW for comparison at the democratic convention in Boston there were only 6 arrests in 4 days.
Out of how many, and what type of people in each place? How many will actually be prosecuted, not just held until they calm down and released? 1800 arrests, with whole groups trying to protest without permits, blocking traffic and generally causing problems, out of hundreds of thousands of people over 4 days time, doesn't sound like a police state to me.

turnagainarm
03 Sep 04,, 06:18
Out of how many, and what type of people in each place? How many will actually be prosecuted, not just held until they calm down and released? 1800 arrests, with whole groups trying to protest without permits, blocking traffic and generally causing problems, out of hundreds of thousands of people over 4 days time, doesn't sound like a police state to me.

I heard all the arrested people were let go, the judge ruled their incarceration illegal.

You live in Florida right? May be you are used to the police state?

Confed999
03 Sep 04,, 06:19
You live in Florida right? May be you are used to the police state?
So your answer to my question is to attack my home? When a liberal can't answer a question they just attack you, it's sad really.

Confed999
03 Sep 04,, 06:29
I heard all the arrested people were let go, the judge ruled their incarceration illegal.
Nope, it was a arraign them, or release them order, and it was for 560 of them. Nobody wants them to be put through the criminal process for bad judgement, and you have shown no proof otherwise.

ChrisF202
03 Sep 04,, 14:42
Is it still a peaceful protest when you:

- Punch NYPD detectives off scooters
- Resist arrest left and right
- Block traffic (vehicle and pedestrian)
- Walk into MSG and punch and attack Bush supporters
- Burn paper-mache dragons
- Gather in locations without permits and then resist arrest

Did anyone do this for Kerry's convention? NO!! Show Bush some respect.

Confed999
04 Sep 04,, 02:17
Is it still a peaceful protest when you:

- Punch NYPD detectives off scooters
- Resist arrest left and right
- Block traffic (vehicle and pedestrian)
- Walk into MSG and punch and attack Bush supporters
- Burn paper-mache dragons
- Gather in locations without permits and then resist arrest

Did anyone do this for Kerry's convention? NO!! Show Bush some respect.
And even with all that, only 1800 of the freaks were arrested out of hundreds of thousands. There would be more arrests at a concert with that many people.

ChrisF202
04 Sep 04,, 15:10
And even with all that, only 1800 of the freaks were arrested out of hundreds of thousands. There would be more arrests at a concert with that many people.
lol, I think the total was like 2,200 or something, still thats a small number considering the hundreds of thousands who protested. I wonder how many arrests were made at Woodstock in both 1969 and the 1999 riot.

turnagainarm
04 Sep 04,, 15:55

"Freakiness" is actually matter of perspective. To the right wingers left wingers are "freaks" and to left wingers right wingers are "freaks".

Thus to a Dubya supporter inside MSG, people who were protesting on the streets were "freaks" and for people who were on the street protesting, for them the whole Republican convention was a big "freak" show!

Confed999
04 Sep 04,, 16:50
"Freakiness" is actually matter of perspective. To the right wingers left wingers are "freaks" and to left wingers right wingers are "freaks".

Thus to a Dubya supporter inside MSG, people who were protesting on the streets were "freaks" and for people who were on the street protesting, for them the whole Republican convention was a big "freak" show!
The freaks I was refering too, were the law breakers. The protests, while I believe they were a waste of time at that location, are encouraged by the very principals this country was founded on. They may believe all Republicans are freaks, but I don't believe all of these protesters are freaks. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I should have been more clear.