Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Influential/Johnny on the spot weapon ever invented.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Influential/Johnny on the spot weapon ever invented.

Im just curious what everyone thinks is the most important piece/system of military hardware ever invented. You can go back to ancient babylon if it floats your boat.

I just thought of this as i'm too tired to even think about what i think :p
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.--John Adams

Gunpowder, invented by the Chinese. Who started using fireworks in a tactical role.

Comment

Originally posted by phalanx
      Im just curious what everyone thinks is the most important piece/system of military hardware ever invented. You can go back to ancient babylon if it floats your boat.

I just thought of this as i'm too tired to even think about what i think :p

Cold, hard, cash.
      Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

A knife it has so many uses that reminds me gotta buy a Kabar.

Comment

Originally posted by Semper Fi
          A knife it has so many uses that reminds me gotta buy a Kabar.
          That would be "buy" a Kabar, eh?. With what pray tell ...? CHC.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chap
            That would be "buy" a Kabar, eh?. With what pray tell ...? CHC.
            Trade someone a garbage bag full of illegal fireworks for it of course.

Comment

Ladeeeeez

Originally posted by Lunatock
              Trade someone a garbage bag full of illegal fireworks for it of course.
              The illegal fireworks purchased on credit card ... ? Nothing illegal ever being aquired using CHC, of course!

How did I forget both the oldest currency and profession? Empires and heroes have fallen for the chance to get laid. Mind you, for an invitation to one of Heff's parties with this month's Playmate as a Sure Thing, my loyalty to life itself would be sorely tested.
              Last edited by The Chap; 24 Aug 04,, 21:24. Reason: Oversight - silly of me

Comment

This is a very old post, so I'll brush off the dust. Very low tech, but very Johnny on the spot - the hedgerow buster welded onto the front of Shermans in Normandy. It allowed a truly combined arms fight since armor could now lead through the hedgerows without exposing their underbellies to the Panzerfaust.

If something like that had happened this day and age, it would be cited in the MSM as a grave intelligence failure for failing to identify the countermobility effects that the Norman bocage would have on our operations. It does demonstrate the limitations of imagery intelligence, although I'm sure our modern systems could pick up the heights of the bocage much better.
                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

That's a good selection, and so is the P-51 Mustang(definitely the right plane at the right time), but i think in the end i gotta go with the other poster, and say gunpowder.

Comment

Fatman and Littleboy.
                    The more I think about it, ol' Billy was right.
                    Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight.
                    - The Eagles

Comment

That's a good pick too. ;)

Comment

Not exactly an invention, but the first fella to pick up a rock and throw it at his enemy/prey was pretty slick.
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                          Not exactly an invention, but the first fella to pick up a rock and throw it at his enemy/prey was pretty slick.
                          First one to throw on armor, and pummel the cowardly rock thrower ;)

Comment

I have to agree the most influential military system ever invented is the firearm, it took someone to use his brains to realize when you take a metal tube with one opening and a holding piece, gunpowder, and a projectile, you get an amazing missle launcher. One that punches through armor, one that makes rocks obsolete and one you can use to gank another person of his cash.

BTW Cash is not a military system or piece of military hardware, now the most influential invention in Civilzation, perhaps, but then again maybe you should give John Locke a gander. Also I doubt the A bomb, in our time has been as influential as the firearm, all it has done, so far is help us aviod WW3, but with the current situation who knows how long that will last....

Comment

I was thinking the aircraft carrier as being both influential AND Johnny on the spot.
                              It was there when it was suddenly needed and it certainly has been the Long Arm of US foreign policy and military action.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X