• Show
Clear All

• Greater man: Cicero or Julius Caesar

I say Cicero:-)
    Cicero
    30.43%
    Julius Ceasar
    69.57%

The Roman Empire was at it's best moments under Julius Caeser.

Comment

He was a dictator.

Comment

He couldn't of been a Dicatator, the Common Roman's all loved him. That's why Brutus and the other Senate members stabbed him in the back. Literally.

Comment

Caesar.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

He couldn't of been a Dicatator, the Common Roman's all loved him. That's why Brutus and the other Senate members stabbed him in the back. Literally.
            The common Germans loved Adolf Hitler, still doesn't change the fact he was a dictator.
            Last edited by Praxus; 16 Aug 04,, 01:35.

Comment

He was a dictator, whether the people liked him or not.

Most Pakistanis like Musharraf, he's still a dictator.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                The common Germans loved Adolf Hitler, still doesn't change the fact he was a dictator.
                Julius Caesar seized power and became a dictator, that doesn't mean he's like Adolf Hitler.

Comment

I don't think Praxus was really trying to compare him to Hitler, just his leadership status.

Comment

Yah, my point was that popularity does not determine if someone is a dictator.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                      Yah, my point was that popularity does not determine if someone is a dictator.
                      Did somebody assert the contrary?

Comment

I quote Lunatock, "He couldn't of been a Dicatator, the Common Roman's all loved him. That's why Brutus and the other Senate members stabbed him in the back. Literally."

He is claiming that he could not be a dictator because he was popular with the common Roman. I then claimed that Adolf Hitler was popular as well but he is still considered a dictator.

Comment

Ah, I see.

It seems to me the purpose of making this thread wasn't to compare and discuss the merits of Caesar or Cicero (two very dissimilar men, imo), but rather, a sly attempt to bash Julius Caesar because he was a dictator.

Comment

Well, it is up to each poster to decide which way he wants to approach it.

I don't know enough about Cicero to properly compare the two men.

Comment

Ah, I see.

It seems to me the purpose of making this thread wasn't to compare and discuss the merits of Caesar or Cicero (two very dissimilar men, imo), but rather, a sly attempt to bash Julius Caesar because he was a dictator.
                              By all means discuss that was the purpose of the thread. I just happen to hold the position that Cicero was a greater/better person and that Caeser was a brutal dictator.

Well, it is up to each poster to decide which way he wants to approach it.

I don't know enough about Cicero to properly compare the two men.
                              http://www.sacklunch.net/biography/C/Cicero.html
                              http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/p...gleycicero.htm

He was one of the greatest exponents of individual liberty in the ancient world. He urged Brutus to kill Caeser in an effort to salvage the Republican System and Republican Liberties.
                              Last edited by Praxus; 16 Aug 04,, 03:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X