Christmas Without Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Without Christ

I am so tired of all this! It's Christmas - people should expect to see a little bit of religion on Christmas. That may include a (gasp) nativity scene. As disturbing as it may be for some to see a group of people and farm animals gathered around a cradle in a barn...Get The Hell Over It! What's next - The Marines not being allowed in public to hold Toys For Tots drives?

'Nativity'Booted From Ill. Holiday Fair
    Monday, November 27, 2006
    By DON BABWIN, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO — A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.

New Line Cinema, which said it was dropped, had planned to play a loop of the new film on televisions at the event. The decision had both the studio and a prominent Christian group shaking their heads.

"The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," said Paul Braoudakis, spokesman for the Barrington, Ill.-based Willow Creek Association, a group of more than 11,000 churches of various denominations. "It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln."

He also said that there is a nativity scene in Daley Plaza _ and that some vendors at the festival sell items related to the nativity.

The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. She acknowledged there is a nativity scene, but also said there will be representations of other faiths, including a Jewish menorah, all put up by private groups. She stressed that the city did not order organizers to drop the studio as a sponsor.
    I can't wait to see what the Church of Satan will be contributing. Ya know, come to think of it, they are about the only clowns that do not complain that they are not represented during Christmastime.

"Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals holding events on Daley Plaza," Jim Law, executive director of the office, said in a statement.

Officials with the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, which has organized the event for several years, did not immediately return calls for comment. The festival started Thursday.

An executive vice president with New Line Cinema, Christina Kounelias, said the studio's plan to spend $12,000 in Chicago was part of an advertising campaign around the country. Kounelias said that as far as she knew, the Chicago festival was the only instance where the studio was turned down.

Kounelias said she finds it hard to believe that non-Christians who attended something called Christkindlmarket would be surprised or offended by the presence of posters, brochures and other advertisements of the movie.

"One would assume that if (people) were to go to Christkindlmarket, they'd know it is about Christmas," she said.

Bye Bye Christmas In Chicago
    Last edited by THL; 28 Nov 06,, 09:46.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

"The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," said Paul Braoudakis, spokesman for the Barrington, Ill.-based Willow Creek Association, a group of more than 11,000 churches of various denominations. "It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln."
    I suppose all of that would mean something if Jesus was actually born on December 25.

But hey, the guy is a Willow Creeker, so I'm not really suprised.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
      What's next - The Marines not being allowed in public to hold Toys For Tots drives?[/I] [/COLOR]
      Probably not in San Fran

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
        As disturbing as it may be for some to see a group of people and farm animals gathered around a cradle in a barn...Get The Hell Over It!
        Whats wrong with people and farm animals gathered around a cradle in a barn??? Every christmas we get huge statues of such a scene at our school... Isn't that what Christmas is actually about???
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
          Whats wrong with people and farm animals gathered around a cradle in a barn??? Every christmas we get huge statues of such a scene at our school... Isn't that what Christmas is actually about???
          No, originally it was all about orgies and feasts

Bring back Old School Christmas
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Do we get to behead the King of Fools/Lord of Misrule afterwards also?

Comment

Originally posted by LongshotSNN View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                One would think. That's what I thought. But I have been wrong before (once or twice). ;)
                "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

It is about shopping dammit. When people have the audacity to go into churches to celebrate the birth of Christ, they are not in a department store spending money and saving our economy.
                  Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I watched my reaction closely to this. I just shook my head.

Better than a Muslim, I guess. ;)
                    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

*chuckle*
                      Saturnalia did have that institution. The Lord of Misrule was a slave elected to that position to oversee the celebrations, while the other slaves had their masters serve them for the length of the festivities.

After Saturnalia, the Lord was killed or killed himself to restore order.

Comment

My bad. I thought you were talking bout Jesus.
                        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Heh. I should have clarified at the first opportunity.

Backslided though I have, I still remember enough to distinguish the "Son of God" from the "King of Fools".;)

Comment

Apparently the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) does not want Christmas being publicly celebrated and they would like all seasons greetings, even to other christians, "happy holidays" I am proud to say my mother sent them a christmas card in the mail Merry Christmas ACLU!!!

Comment

*chuckle*
                              Saturnalia did have that institution. The Lord of Misrule was a slave elected to that position to oversee the celebrations, while the other slaves had their masters serve them for the length of the festivities.

After Saturnalia, the Lord was killed or killed himself to restore order.

that's what people get for claiming a roman holiday as their own.there's nothing christian about christmas, and birthdays for that matter since their celebration is more like the worship of an individual over God(and dont anyone tell me Christ is God, this concept gets no scriptural support and neither is there anecdotal support for it from the 1st century church)
                              The greatest instrument of moral good is the imagination.

Comment

Working...
                              X