Ambushed By Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambushed By Bush

Okay I already know that I am going to receive hell for the following message. However, next time I promise I will put up an interesting article about Kerry as well. This was sent by an acquaintance and asked me to pass it on (however I am not saying that all facts are false or true because I seriously don’t know). It does not include how I feel or see Bush- AGAIN I am just putting it up because someone elese asked me to pass it on. I already have explained that I am not sure about who should be our next president. So be nice and no name calling because the following does not represent how I feel or what I believe in.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

AMBUSHED BY BUSH
    Ordinary people have not been taken into consideration by the media most of the time, not particularly since big corporations have played a big and main influence in American elections. It is a well known fact that Governments world wide and nowadays, no longer work for most people, they work for big corporations because they need to fulfill the needs of their big campaign donors. In the United States, it works less and less for middle class citizens. What most of the time does not make our evening news is how people not only are losing their pensions, health insurance, jobs. Hence also their life savings when unemployment knocks on their door. But most importantly they are getting sick, being hurt and even dying. It is a harsh statement, however a true one. People’s interests come in second place, right after the needs and objectives of big corporations.

What is interesting is how we see and hear from Texans how they feel about their former Governor and now President of the Nation. He left them tax breaks for the rich that make it impossible for government to provide a decent education or basic services for working people, bills written by energy lobbyists working the cash and carry model of government perfected in Texas and the elimination of the most basic workplace protections. Those who knew the president when he was governor of low tax, low service, and no regulation state are seriously not amazed by what he’s done in Washington. The worst public policy created in Texas has gone nation wide. Bush in 1999 said in his State of the State address; that is when he was still governor of Texas: “We can show Washington how to handle a budget surplus”. Now I am not an economist or an expert on these types of issues. All we hear since Bush took office is how we are struggling with a national deficit, and is probably not going away anytime soon.

Here are some of the reasons why George W. Bush should not be reelected, according to a Pulitzer Prize nominated journalist. He explains and looks at how Bush’s policies have affected the lives of ordinary Americans- here are some of the disturbing examples of the Bush administration’s public policy colliding with the public.-

•Ed Swartz: He is suing his government for a coal-bed methane, locally called CBM. Since 1999, water has been flowing through Swartz ranch. The rancher calls that water “Killer Water”. It’s so high in saline content that when it interacts with soils, it kills plant life. He went to court a couple of years earlier to defend his water and property rights, he prevailed. However that was just a temporary victory. The truth is that lately Corporations are not only controlling the decisions installed nation wide but obviously they also control local governments. Local governments are being controlled by industries which affect our livelihoods and the environment of entire regions. We ask: Nation wide who sanctions these types of violations to property rights but most importantly, environment hazards produced or provoked by big corporations? The answer obviously varies; we have dozen of administrative offices who deal with all these sort of situations. During Bill Clinton’s presidency, even though they (Clinton and Gore) were not exactly environmentalists “extremists”, conservationists and environmentalists were involved and played an important role at the EPA and Department of Interior. However, the scenario changed after Bush-Cheney cabinet came to the White House. Swartz had to plead his case to a man who had worked as a lobbyist for the very company Swartz claims is destroying grazing along Wildcat creek.- Have any of then heard the term of “ Conflict of interests”?

To top that off, at the Bush-Cheney Interior Department, most members have a history of having worked for the interests of big corporations that have little respect for environment conservation and protection regulations. When Dick Cheney was still CEO of Halliburton, its oil service division was already tapping into new revenue stream in Wyoming’s methane beds. Finally, after the Senate in 2002 blocked Bush and Cheney’s plan to drill in the Alaska National Wildlife Reserve in the first ANWR showdown, people representing corporations’ objectives, pushed the Department of Interior into every energy reserve in the West.

•Be aware of what you eat: During Clinton’s second term, a slow process began to write rules to require USDA testing in all plants that process ready to eat deli meats. Clinton had actually turned the USDA and its Food Safety Inspection office into a real public health agency. Particularly over one dangerous bacteria called “Listeria” which at worst terms can kill people. Listeria regulations were ready to be printed in the Federal Registry, when George W. Bush moved to the White House in January 2001. Listeria regulations were immediately put on hold by Bush’s chief of staff, Andrew Card. Clinton’s USDA rules were written to catch the very food-borne bacterium that led people such as Dr. Frank Niemtzow to death. Unfortunately, there were other six cases that had the same fate and other forty six that were sickened; even miscarriages can be provoked by such bacteria. Officially it has been reported that three women had suffered miscarriages due to that same bacteria. It did not have to happen. Idealistically, governments are supposed to look out for the well being of their citizens and they should start by mentioning the risks that we may face under any circumstance. One statement of fact is that Republicans win their elections in “red states”, which are located in the heartland of the country. - That is where cattle and chicken are produced. Republicans use the USDA to pay off their contributors from the red states; therefore the current Government can not affect their donors (in other words the owners of the producing companies) by implementing food safety policy and regulations. Neither Bush, his chief of staff nor the Secretary of Agriculture can plead ignorance.

•Marie Flickinger: I have not had the misfortune to live near a toxic sludge. However that is not the case for some Americans, there have and still exist. Now a lot of people may argue that we just can’t make toxic waste disappear with magic. What should on the other hand be brought to our attention much more than it has been by the media, what should concern us, is that some may be near our schools, hospitals, etc. That was precisely Marie’s case. She had studied the cleanup plan and was desperately worried about the threat that it represented to the elementary school, the hospital and the junior college campus nearby. Marie also researched the birth defects, the miscarriages and the spontaneous abortions that seemed like an epidemic in the residential subdivision near Brio. The EPA was ready to incinerate 245,000 tons of toxic sludge by some corporate citizens in the soil of a 58-acre site (20 miles south of downtown Houston). The agency bluntly did not perform a proper site characterization. Marie Flickinger is just not some crazy housewife with nothing else to do than to find problems that an agency may embark on. As a matter of fact she is a publisher of a community weekly newspaper. Through her research she found out that the EPA did not know what was in the soil and sludge they were preparing to burn. They have never tested it for metals; most importantly they had never looked carefully at the birth defects and miscarriages in the neighborhoods near the abandoned refinery. According to the EPA, the site was used for “by product recycling, copper catalyst regeneration and petrochemical recovery”. In other words, anything that was recyclable, reusable was extracted. Moreover what should shock us all is that five thousand families lived very close to the site they left behind. EPA did everything but to find the right solution. Their plan of digging up a hole and burning it, was going to become a bigger problem and hazard than leaving all in the ground. In simple terms-“The EPA was getting ready to burn toxic material in a residential neighborhood but didn’t even know what they were burning,” Marie stated.

When no one else cared or even listened, one man did. Bob Martin was the National Ombudsman of the EPA. The office of the National Ombudsman was established and empowered by Congress to be an independent “watchdog” over the EPA. He was hired at the end of the presidency of George H.W. Bush. He managed to stop the incineration of toxic waste, actually just 10 days before it was supposed to occur. They were about to do it in the middle of a community of 70,000 people. Martin issued his report and thanks to him, it was prevented. Now the Brio is sealed with a fifty-foot deep concrete wall and all other necessary precautions. But this is not the happy ending.

When George W. Bush came into power and right after his office began to take shape, Christine Todd Whitman was appointed by our president to be our EPA administrator. After just eleven months, she ordered the ombudsman’s office to transfer into the agency, where it was obviously going to be under the control of the inspector general. Martin took her to court and for a while prevented the closing of the independent ombudsman’s office. However the court’s decision was overturned by April 2002, under the pretext that Martin had to exhaust all the administrative remedies before going to a Federal Court. Whitman took the opportunity of seizing 140 file boxes from Martin’s office containing information about cases he was working on. She did so while our National Ombudsman was out of town. In addition to taking those case files, agents from the federal inspector general’s office removed all computers and telephones; the locks on the office door were also changed by the agents.

EPA under the new administrator later ordered Martin to report to work in the inspector general’s office. He could have kept his salary of 118,000 but chose to resign. Obviously he resigned for the right reasons; the office could not work and keep on defending the rights of citizens if it lost independence from government to operate. If he had decided to work at the inspector general’s office, he would have been working for the very agency he was supposed to watch. - Again whatever happened to “Conflict of Interests”?

Additionally, what also does not make it on our religious evening news is that destroying the EPA’s Ombudsman was only one step that the Bush’s administration took- don’t want to say “Republicans” because it would not be fair to generalize. We had once a 3.8 billion trust, built since 1980 with a special tax on chemical companies. By 2003 needless to say under which administration, it was bottomed to 28 million. That is not even enough to clean up one of the hundreds of abandoned sites in the country. Superfund cleanups are now ironically being paid by general revenue. In other words, it is paid by regular citizens that have nothing to do with the production of toxic waste. We don't create the mess, the chemical and oil companies do. The Government once again took the burden from the shoulders of their corporate friends and donors, while consenting to leave average Americans deal with more taxes and environment hazards.

I read this article and think it is worth sharing. It is only meant to make us think a little bit more about who should become our next President. Last but not least, I think that in the couple of months we have left before our decisive day- November 2nd, we should study and find out as much as we can from all the choices we have. If anyone has anything to say in favor of the Bush’s administration, please do so and share it. What we need precisely right now is to be informed as much as we can.

Ordinary people have not been taken into consideration by the media most of the time, not particularly since big corporations have played a big and main influence in American elections. It is a well known fact that Governments world wide and nowadays, no longer work for most people, they work for big corporations because they need to fulfill the needs of their big campaign donors. In the United States, it works less and less for middle class citizens.
    What about the Unions?

Why aren't liberals screaming bloody murder over Unions?

Oh I know why, they get the vast majority of their money from Unions not to mention their votes!

The reason corporations are so corrupt is because the Government has so much power over these corporations. The Government has the power to destroy enourmous sectors of the economy. The best way to get rid of this corruption is to get rid of the Government's influence in economics.

The Government once again took the burden from the shoulders of their corporate friends and donors, while consenting to leave average Americans deal with more taxes and environment hazards.
    So stealing is only wrong when it's from the middle class?

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
      The reason corporations are so corrupt is because the Government has so much power over these corporations. The Government has the power to destroy enourmous sectors of the economy. The best way to get rid of this corruption is to get rid of the Government's influence in economics.
      I too read Capitalism: The unknown Ideal. Want to swap Randisms?

Comment

So stealing is only wrong when it's from the middle class?
        The Dems are nothing without their class warfare.
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Sure:-D

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."

“There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.”

“To say 'I love you' one must know first how to say the 'I'.”

"Art is too serious to be taken seriously."
          Last edited by Praxus; 15 Aug 04,, 17:17.

Comment

“To say 'I love you' one must know first how to say the 'I'.”
            I really like that one...
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Another pointless article, 99% of Washington politicians are mere shells of the good people they used to be. The town is corrupt no matter how you shake it down. Voting for a candidate on the basis of who they know, where they've worked and so on is a practice in idiocy.

All Washington politicians are thiefs, a**holes, crooks, murderers, treasonous, and the list could go on.

Which is the primary reason I vote conservative, decrease the power (tax income) of the federal government or some day it won't be Osama Bin Laden taking down our country it will be one of our own Politicians.
              They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              --Benjamin Franklin

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.--John Adams

Comment

i dont know why people think the upperclass and corporations pay little taxes--they carry about 60% of the load--and that the lower class gets screwed over by the republicans. they only collectively only pay about 10%.
                "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

I highly doubt that the Government's influence is the reason that corporations are corrupt. I don't want to piss off those of you who love Rand so much but I think the world is much more complicated than that. It's human nature to look after yourself as priority #1 and capitalism is set up to reward you for that. That's where the corruption comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by jjacobs43
                    I highly doubt that the Government's influence is the reason that corporations are corrupt. I don't want to piss off those of you who love Rand so much but I think the world is much more complicated than that. It's human nature to look after yourself as priority #1 and capitalism is set up to reward you for that. That's where the corruption comes from.
                    Exactly, I have to agree with him on the corruption.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                      Exactly, I have to agree with him on the corruption.
                      I don't. Government corruption is totaly unstoppable, private corruption can be policed. There are bad people everywhere, and that's where the corruption comes from. Take the power away from the unstoppable ones.

Comment

I said "the reason they are so corrupt". I did not say "the reason they are corrupt". The source of corruption is caused by the lack of good principle and the presense of a bad ethical code not any innate seflishness.

Just look at the Government, they have the power of eminate domain. So what do the irrational buisness leaders do? They pay the Government off and have them build a highway where their compitition is. Just an example of all the crap Government intervention into the economy causes.
                        Last edited by Praxus; 27 Aug 04,, 02:35.

Comment

Don't worry about Bush. One can always handle him.

But what about Praxus?

We are always ambushed by him, be you right wing, left wing, scoailist, capitalist or middle of the road! :):)

No offence meant, Praxus.

You have sorted most out including me, and all my tears have created floods in three states of my vast country. Thank God, they don't know it is me and you who are responsible! :) I don't know if Confed will balme you for the cyclone in Florida!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                            I don't know if Confed will balme you for the cyclone in Florida!
                            Nah, I'm one of those people that believe we need all opinions to hopefully come up with something as fair as possible, a place where more are happy than sad. Just as I am emphatically for the removal of tyrants, the "we shouldn't worry about the rest of the world" people even it out. ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X