Biggest conventional bombs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest conventional bombs?

I've heard of a bomb called Grand slam it weights about 25 tons and it was used in ODS once, is this info correct

Grand Slam weighed 22,000lbs, and was used by the RAF during WWII to attack german battleships and battlecruisers.

Comment

oH Well I guess I had some misleading information about he issue, but somewhere I heard about such bomb being usedd in Iraq

Comment

That would be the BLU-82 10,000lb demolition bomb.

There is also a newer GPS guided version of 15,000lbs called the MOAB.

Comment

MOAB - Massive Ordnance Air Blast
          Mother Of All Bombs
          Air Force tested a Massive Ordnance Air Blast weapon on AFB Eglin on 03/11/2003. Eglin Air Force Base, FL is home of the Air Armament Center (AAC).
          The MOAB is a precision-guided munition weighing 21,500 pounds and was dropped from a C-130 Hercules aircraft for the test. It is the largest non-nuclear weapon in existence.
          The weapon is meant to allow pilots to drop high-precision bombs out of the range of most anti-aircraft fire. MOAB is a "modernization" of the BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter".

Primary Function: Guided air-to-surface weapon

Guidance System: GPS/inertial gyroscopes

Launch Weight: 21,500 pounds, incl. 18,000 pounds of high explosives

Diameter: 40.5 inches

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          --Benjamin Franklin

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.--John Adams

Comment

Or it weighs 21500lbs.... ;)

LOL.

Comment

lmao gdamn 18,000 lbs of explosives.

I'm wondering how often it has been deployed, i know of only 1 instance as reported by the media around the start of OIF.
              They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              --Benjamin Franklin

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.--John Adams

Comment

Yeah, they never used it.

Comment

From what I've heard about that bomb being used, when it was dropped it made a BIG hole to the ground, about 600 meters in diameter and 70 meters deep, I wonder if that is true or is that bomb designed to explode in air few dozen meters above ground.

Comment

The Canadians are experimenting with the idea of two bombs. One to penetrate the earth just to crack the thing open. The second to deliver the thermobaric blast.

Comment

I think your measurements would be accurate if you replaced 'meters' with 'feet'.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                        Grand Slam weighed 22,000lbs, and was used by the RAF during WWII to attack german battleships and battlecruisers.
                        It was also used for other targets too.

I have a few excellent pictures of them used. One is of a viaduct in Germany with 8 arches missing after a Grand Slam direct hit, the other is of a hole in the side of a mountain 70 feet across, with a rail tunnel exposed at the inside of the crater.

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                        The Canadians are experimenting with the idea of two bombs. One to penetrate the earth just to crack the thing open. The second to deliver the thermobaric blast.
                        Sounds a bit like a BROACH warhead from a Storm Shadow missile..

Comment

Working...
                        X