PDA

View Full Version : Biggest conventional bombs?

Fury
13 Aug 04,, 18:52
I've heard of a bomb called Grand slam it weights about 25 tons and it was used in ODS once, is this info correct

Bill
13 Aug 04,, 21:05
Grand Slam weighed 22,000lbs, and was used by the RAF during WWII to attack german battleships and battlecruisers.

Fury
13 Aug 04,, 22:10
oH Well I guess I had some misleading information about he issue, but somewhere I heard about such bomb being usedd in Iraq

Bill
14 Aug 04,, 03:11
That would be the BLU-82 10,000lb demolition bomb.

There is also a newer GPS guided version of 15,000lbs called the MOAB.

phalanx
15 Aug 04,, 07:53
MOAB - Massive Ordnance Air Blast
Mother Of All Bombs
Air Force tested a Massive Ordnance Air Blast weapon on AFB Eglin on 03/11/2003. Eglin Air Force Base, FL is home of the Air Armament Center (AAC).
The MOAB is a precision-guided munition weighing 21,500 pounds and was dropped from a C-130 Hercules aircraft for the test. It is the largest non-nuclear weapon in existence.
The weapon is meant to allow pilots to drop high-precision bombs out of the range of most anti-aircraft fire. MOAB is a "modernization" of the BLU-82 "Daisy Cutter".

Primary Function: Guided air-to-surface weapon

Guidance System: GPS/inertial gyroscopes

Launch Weight: 21,500 pounds, incl. 18,000 pounds of high explosives

Diameter: 40.5 inches

http://www.globemaster.de/assets/images/moab.jpg

Bill
15 Aug 04,, 07:56
Or it weighs 21500lbs.... ;)

LOL.

phalanx
15 Aug 04,, 07:59
lmao gdamn 18,000 lbs of explosives.

I'm wondering how often it has been deployed, i know of only 1 instance as reported by the media around the start of OIF.

Bill
15 Aug 04,, 08:30
Yeah, they never used it.

Fury
15 Aug 04,, 11:35
From what I've heard about that bomb being used, when it was dropped it made a BIG hole to the ground, about 600 meters in diameter and 70 meters deep, I wonder if that is true :confused: or is that bomb designed to explode in air few dozen meters above ground.

Officer of Engineers
15 Aug 04,, 14:16
The Canadians are experimenting with the idea of two bombs. One to penetrate the earth just to crack the thing open. The second to deliver the thermobaric blast.

Bill
15 Aug 04,, 17:50
I think your measurements would be accurate if you replaced 'meters' with 'feet'.

Cjwinnit
01 Feb 05,, 18:26
Grand Slam weighed 22,000lbs, and was used by the RAF during WWII to attack german battleships and battlecruisers.

It was also used for other targets too.

I have a few excellent pictures of them used. One is of a viaduct in Germany with 8 arches missing after a Grand Slam direct hit, the other is of a hole in the side of a mountain 70 feet across, with a rail tunnel exposed at the inside of the crater.

The Canadians are experimenting with the idea of two bombs. One to penetrate the earth just to crack the thing open. The second to deliver the thermobaric blast.

Sounds a bit like a BROACH warhead from a Storm Shadow missile..