• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School's Plan to Islamicize Christmas Upsets Parents

Fury over Halal Christmas dinner
    18/11/06
    By Paul Jeeves

PARENTS expressed outrage last night over a school’s plans to serve pupils a Muslim Christmas dinner.

The headteacher announced that she intended to replace the children’s traditional turkey meal with halal chicken.

She explained that eating poultry which had been slaughtered in the Muslim way would create an “integrated Christmas”.

But furious parents accused the school of undermining the Christian faith.
    They were backed by Labour MP Denis MacShane who demanded to know why the children were not being offered a choice.

Mr MacShane said: “No child should be obliged to eat food that is contrary to their personal convictions or religion. Schools should offer a choice and not allow the joyous celebrations of a Christmas dinner to become a divisive issue.

“I hope all the children can join in this fun and if I am invited I would be delighted to sit down with all the children for a Christmas dinner, halal, non halal or the healthy option, vegetarian.”

After Mr MacShane’s intervention, Jan Charters, head of Oakwood School in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, backed down and youngsters will now be offered a choice of halal chicken or a traditional turkey dinner, costing £1.75.

Campaigners and religious organisations said the ban on traditional Christmas celebrations was making Britain a more divided society.

John Midgley, of the Campaign Against Political Correctness, said: “It seems as though the parents have made the school see sense.

“Until common sense prevailed the school was creating a problem when there was no problem.”

Nick Seaton, chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, said: “Headteachers and school governors should not make this sort of mistake in the first place. There are a lot of these silly people around who undermine British culture.

“This is a victory for common sense. It is good these mad politically correct people have been made to think again.”

Abdul Dean, ethnic minorities officer for the Christian People’s Alliance, said: “There is a political agenda here. Who are these people speaking on behalf of Muslims?

“Muslim parents themselves would not have objected to children being offered a choice. The teachers should have taken this on board especially in this time of tension.”

Ms Charters said: “This was an attempt to extend the spirit of inclusion which would allow Muslim children to sit down and enjoy a meal together.

“It is very frustrating that people find motives which are not present and we will not now be doing this.”

Halal meat is slaughtered in accordance with strict Muslim laws with a single cut to the throat.

It is also important that the animal does not have any blood as Muslims are banned from drinking it. This places a great importance on the method of slaughter, in which a sharp knife is used to sever all the vessels in the animal’s neck, causing blood to drain completely.

The practice has been criticised as inhumane by The Farm Animal Welfare Council which has called for it to be banned.

Ms Charters added: “We secured assurances that the slaughterhouse was certified to be killing humanely and all animals were stunned.

“When we discussed the Christmas dinner we said that there was nothing to stop anyone from eating the main course because it was halal although the Muslim pupils will not eat the sausage and bacon rolls. Chicken is chicken as far as I am concerned but there will also be other choices on the menu apart from a Christmas meal.”

Outraged mother Rachel Johnson, from Kimberworth, said: “This is not a racial issue. Why can’t the non-Muslim kids enjoy traditional Christmas fare?

“Why can’t we have a choice of chicken which suits everyone, Muslims and non-Muslims.

“We bend over backwards at Eid (an Islamic festival) to eat traditional Muslim food so why should we have to change our Christmas tradition?” Mrs Johnson added: “I feel my culture is being stolen away from me. I have no objections to halal meat being on the menu so long as there is a choice of traditional Christian Christmas fare.

“A lot of parents have been in touch to support my views. Our culture and religion are being trampled on and it is not right. It is almost as stupid as serving up pork on Eid.”

Her 15-year-old daughter, who did not want to be named, added: “I have no objections to including Muslims in celebrating Christmas but it is quite wrong to offer us only halal meat. A lot of my friends feel the same and say there should be a choice and they were thinking of boycotting the Christmas meal.

“I also think a lot of people will be horrified to know that halal meat is often served at school without a choice. I will not be staying for any more school dinners

“I think the people who make these decisions are adding to the conflict.”

A Rotherham Council spokesman said: “Out of 16 comprehensive schools in the borough only two use private school suppliers. The rest use in-house council caterers. Of those 14 all offer a choice between halal meat and conventionally slaughtered meat”.

Local councillor Mahroof Hussain said: “Christmas is an important time in everybody’s life in Britain and we should celebrate it. If we are talking about food maybe we should have choice but that is a decision for the school governing body.”

link

Originally posted by STIG View Post
    “We bend over backwards at Eid (an Islamic festival) to eat traditional Muslim food so why should we have to change our Christmas tradition?” Mrs Johnson added: “I feel my culture is being stolen away from me. I have no objections to halal meat being on the menu so long as there is a choice of traditional Christian Christmas fare.
    WTF!!!

What if I want some fvcking bacon and eggs on that day? You mean I can't have it?

Why do we have to bend over backwards for some people who chose to come here? They should bend over backwards to adopt our culture. Or get the F out.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The teachers got their 15 minutes, as they desired.:)

Comment

This seems like a silly issue at first, but it isn't.

It's absolutely vital.

No, I'm not kidding.

Comment

Welcome to surreal confused Britain. Immigration is running at a higher rate than at any time in our history. The government figures for last year are 1,500 per day for legals. Clearly nobody can say how many illegals we are getting, but you can safely bet that it won't be a modest number. The figures of those leaving are also a record number. They are leaving because the UK is so different from the country they knew and loved. It has become alien to them. Nobody knows what to safely say without someone screaming 'Racist' at them. No wonder that people are considering voting for the British National Party. Even a year or so ago such a thought would not have crossed their minds. We have to ask ourselves how this state of affairs started and then developed so quickly, and are there lessons we can draw from this?
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

The Islamic hoard coming soon to a neigborhood near you. Deal with them now or deal with them later (and hope it is not too late). Either way they must be delt with. Make no mistake. They do not want to fit in to new cultures, they want nothing less than to have every culture bow befor them. So, if you want you and your family to be treated like second class people and be brutilized by islamic law, by all means do nothing and wait for the hammer to drop.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              The Islamic hoard coming soon to a neigborhood near you. Deal with them now or deal with them later (and hope it is not too late). Either way they must be delt with. Make no mistake. They do not want to fit in to new cultures, they want nothing less than to have every culture bow befor them. So, if you want you and your family to be treated like second class people and be brutilized by islamic law, by all means do nothing and wait for the hammer to drop.
              After Mr MacShane’s intervention, Jan Charters, head of Oakwood School in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, backed down and youngsters will now be offered a choice of halal chicken or a traditional turkey dinner, costing £1.75.
              It's hardly an Islamic horde - the head was non-Muslim and being ridiculously PC. She then backed down in the face of opposition. End of story.

Comment

I read somewhere that a school in Kalifornia had "muslim for a day" event for the kids. I'm not quite sure what they did for that. Maybe prayed 5 times a day; maybe dressed up in islamic garb; whatever... But the point is we had "muslim for a day" event in our public school while at the same time teachers and kids are forbidden to wear a cross on their person that maybe deemed "offensive" to other faiths.

I'm not a christian and I find it absolutely disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  I read somewhere that a school in Kalifornia had "muslim for a day" event for the kids. I'm not quite sure what they did for that. Maybe prayed 5 times a day; maybe dressed up in islamic garb; whatever... But the point is we had "muslim for a day" event in our public school while at the same time teachers and kids are forbidden to wear a cross on their person that maybe deemed "offensive" to other faiths.

what? this is hilarious! how can they force kids to do these stuff!! those who did those stuff and banned other religious things should be brought to justice!

heck! im liberal but i too have some limits!

and why the heck did they people/school get sued for fundamental rights violations??

Comment

Originally posted by starsiege View Post
                    what? this is hilarious! how can they force kids to do these stuff!! those who did those stuff and banned other religious things should be brought to justice!

heck! im liberal but i too have some limits!

and why the heck did they people/school get sued for fundamental rights violations??
                    They did this in the name of "multiculturalism" or some other bullcrap reason like that.

I wish I had kept the link to the newspaper story. I believe the school was in northern California or central California.

Comment

They did this in the name of "multiculturalism" or some other bullcrap reason like that.

I wish I had kept the link to the newspaper story. I believe the school was in northern California or central California.
                      what the heck!! they dont even know what "multiculturalism"means!! it means people from different cultures living together and respecting the other cultures! it does not mean u have to follow the other cultures! this is so stupid!

if it was me i swear i would have taken them to court

Comment

Yeah, you know I refuse to buy into this hysterical, and in my opnion largely cowardly streak of islamophobia that's currently rather trendy for people in the developed world, but damn, that is a load of crap. By all means schools should teach kids about the basic beliefs that religions hold, especially in history classes since knowing what religions are on about is key to understanding history, but the whole idea of doing so is to create religious equality.
                        Which is why I get mad as hell, in spite of my being agnostic, when I hear about people getting in trouble for wearing religious symbols. The whole idea of personal freedoms and liberties (in my opinion more important than elections ever are) is that they apply to everyone, and if they want to think in a particular way or dress in a particular way then thats their irrevocable right. Simply put I just came out of a public school system with a diverse collection of religious groups represented, all of whom were allowed to wear crosses, hijabs, turbans, those "what would jesus do" armbands and no one said peep, and I can honestly say it hasn't turned anyone I know into some murderous religious biggot, so what the hell is the problem? Everyone needs to chill the hell out and stop trying to force their own so-called PC beliefs down everyone else's throat.
                        But if the kids have a problem eating turkey then they should have some alternatives (like for those perpetually sick ones that die from eating the wrong stuff, every school has one or two of them).

Comment

To gunnut

After the "Muslim for a Day" presentation did they have a "Christian for a Day" event where everyone had to pretend to be Christian?

It might show how these types of activities are misinforming by demonstrating how distorted something familiar becomes when turned into a series of culturally illustrative activities.
                          Simple Machines in Higher Dimensions

Comment

Originally posted by 1010011010 View Post
                            After the "Muslim for a Day" presentation did they have a "Christian for a Day" event where everyone had to pretend to be Christian?

It might show how these types of activities are misinforming by demonstrating how distorted something familiar becomes when turned into a series of culturally illustrative activities.
                            i would have loved to see how the Muslim girls would have reacted when/and if they were asked to take off their head scarves on a "Christian for a day" . The news papers would have blared "Muslims being segregated and coerced!!" all over. and people would have marched on the streets, burning the occasional car, and the usual Israeli flags. shows how bigoted those people are.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Uhhh....wouldn't the easy thing to do just be...um...like...have a Halal turkey?

I am not privy to the inner machinations of Halal poscriptions but methinks if you could kill a chicken within the rules then another dumb assed flightless bird that makes funny noises should not be to much of a problem in the eyes of God...or "His" self appointed spokespeoples on this here planet.

If some cleric cries fowl, then we can find another one to deploy a fatwah or fiqh or some other device to clip the former's wings.

THE MORAL OF THIS STORY: People are just going to have get used to the idea that there are a lot of Muslims out there as well as Hindus and Chinese folks so you are going to get stuck with Halal food, curry or noodles sooner or later at some table or another whether you like it or not; GROW UP AND DEAL WITH IT!

Real boats rock and times change and we have to evolve to meet new challenges as they arise. Within this context, it may be preferable to eat Halal chicken then to eat crow; think about it.

Besides, various objections to Halal chickens at Christmas being noted, I think it is silly for people to get there panties in a bunch over a meal that has not even been cooked yet.

Who knows, Christmas dinner might turn out to be better with Halal chickens then it ever was with a turkey...afterall, the Lord is known to work in mystifying ways...especially on His day.

Aw heck, who am I kidding, this is clearly a plot by the Turkey Lodge to use English socialization and anti-Muslim hysteria to protect its markets and advance its own sinister agenda to tunnel under all of the schools in England.

Just grateful to have any good food at the Solstice festival kind of regards,

William
                              Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Working...
                              X