Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venezuelan army officer opponents of Chavez arrested

Venezuela army officers arrested

A Venezuelan court has ordered the arrest of 59 military officers on charges of conspiracy, civil rebellion and instigating insurrection.
    The men took part in a protest against President Hugo Chavez in October 2002 by taking over a square in Caracas and urging civil disobedience.

Some of those charged by judge Rita Hernandez also backed a failed coup against Mr Chavez in April 2002.

The move came two weeks ahead of a 15 August vote on Mr Chavez's rule.

Some of the officers had also been accused of being behind bombings of the Colombian and Spanish embassies in Caracas last year.

The officers' lawyer denied the men had been involved in any plots against the government.

Read more here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3943243.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Originally posted by Ironduke
    Venezuela army officers arrested

A Venezuelan court has ordered the arrest of 59 military officers on charges of conspiracy, civil rebellion and instigating insurrection.
    The men took part in a protest against President Hugo Chavez in October 2002 by taking over a square in Caracas and urging civil disobedience.

Some of those charged by judge Rita Hernandez also backed a failed coup against Mr Chavez in April 2002.

The move came two weeks ahead of a 15 August vote on Mr Chavez's rule.

Some of the officers had also been accused of being behind bombings of the Colombian and Spanish embassies in Caracas last year.

The officers' lawyer denied the men had been involved in any plots against the government.

Read more here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3943243.stm
    another latin american president did not want to do that in Chilie few decades ago.... that is why millitary has killed him on September 11, 1973.....
    Striking feature: in both cases US were not happy with those presidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry
      in both cases US were not happy with those presidents.
      Should the US have been happy with them?
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Chavez is horrible, he's a commie at heart. on a comic note, the 1st place he visited once Pres was illegally visiting Saddam Hussein. Chavez rigged the referendum. I have satellite, + got sum venezuelan channels. things the gov was doin 2 subvert ppl from voting were crazy. i dont care what carter says. only reason US not taken drastic response is b/c #3 supplier of petrol.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
          Chavez is horrible
          I know, that's why I was asking for clarification of Garry's statement. It looks as if he dosn't like Chavez, but if he does I'd love to hear why. Just thought it might be a chance at a conversation. ;)
          only reason US not taken drastic response is b/c #3 supplier of petrol.
          Funny, oil supply is why most say the US went to Iraq.
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Chavez is horrible, he's a commie at heart. on a comic note, the 1st place he visited once Pres was illegally visiting Saddam Hussein. Chavez rigged the referendum. I have satellite, + got sum venezuelan channels. things the gov was doin 2 subvert ppl from voting were crazy. i dont care what carter says. only reason US not taken drastic response is b/c #3 supplier of petrol.
            True, the wall street journal went crazy saying he couldn't have won and that carter is on crack. Speaking of him, i found it really funny he said he didn't think FL would have fair elections and the media played it all over there air, imagine that a partisan Democrat accusing the GOP of dirty tatics. Just thought it was funny, i think anyone would regardless of party.

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
              Should the US have been happy with them?
              it is not the business of US but rather Venezuelans. Same was the case with Chilie.....

If some nation wants to be communist it is their choice, if another in Saudi Arabia is choosing Shariat, its again their choise...

actually there is no even a sign of Venezuela moving to communism...

Comment

it is not the business of US but rather Venezuelans.
                I think it should be everyone's business, when it isn't their choice.

Comment

I think it should be everyone's business, when it isn't their choice.
                  yes right, but to what extent? US has a good experience of failures in trying to install democracy with force. It led to nowhere in Haiti. Same with Chilie. (Panama operation was not about democracy at all.) Now american rifles supposedly brought peace and democracy to Iraq..... Nowhere (except for Japan) democracy was brought from outside.

Every people are worth their leaders.... if this guy is in power then it suits that people. Would you prefer to meddle in and support his opposition?

Comment

the majority of Venezuelans oppose him. the referendum was plainly rigged. carter has legitimacy but seriously erred in this assesment. the carter ppl were "toured" to the model polling stations to show Chavez's "great commitment to the democracy of the Bolivarian Revolution."

Comment

US has a good experience of failures in trying to install democracy with force.
                      The US isn't everyone...
                      if this guy is in power then it suits that people.
                      So, you think Saddam was a popular fella too?
                      Would you prefer to meddle in
                      Certainly... Everywhere there are bad guys, the good guys should be doing as much as possible.

Comment

So, you think Saddam was a popular fella too?
                        The facts prove that this ******* was the leader who could rule that country...... I personally hate guys like him, but have to admit - every nation is at its one stage of development. Building democracy in Iraq in a time less than a life of a generation (or two) is just simple NONSENSE. Every leader whom you would put there would either turn to a dictatorship or fall down. This is exactly what you are observing in Iraq. US have to either be VERY VERY brutal in to restroring order (than any talks about freedom and democracy to Iraqis are irrelevant) or leave the place and put some other but "Friendly" dictator. So what is the difference? Yes. New "Saddam" would be friendly to hamburgers and Cola (and US oil firms). I actually don't think that they went there for oil. They were really stupid enough dreaming about building democracy in Iraq.

The US isn't everyone...
                        Right. Only US thinks that their mission is to build democracy and "normal" (probably american) way of living in R.O.W. (that is how in US all non-US nations are called)

Regarding good and bad guys and how much you can do about it... I actually agree with the words of that gangster - Aidid in black howk down movie: "you think you will change anything here? No. You will leave this place and we will keep on killing each other for another decaded"..... unfortunatelly same about Iraq. Authorities there can not be democratic.......

Comment

Working...
                        X