Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rwanda inquiry into French role in genocide

Rwanda inquiry into French role

Rwanda is to investigate France's alleged role in the mass killing of Tutsis and moderate Hutus in 1994.
    The Rwandan government said it was setting up an "independent commission charged with assembling the evidence of France's involvement in the genocide".

Rwanda has regularly accused the French of aiding and abetting the Hutu extremists who killed 800,000 people.

Paris denies responsibility - although it has admitted supporting Rwanda's former Hutu-led government.

The current Rwandan government, which took over after the genocide, argues that Paris knowingly armed the killers and provided an escape route after their defeat.

It is not clear when the new Rwandan commission will start work.

Muted admission

Last week the two countries announced they would work together to review events leading to the genocide.

The announcement came after a meeting in South Africa between French Foreign Minister Michel Barnier and his Rwandan counterpart Charles Murigande.

"We discussed ways to improve and normalise relations... and we agreed to forge a new spirit and work together on genocide remembrance," Mr Barnier said after the talks.

In 1998 a French parliamentary panel cleared Paris of responsibility for the genocide.

However the MPs admitted that successive French governments had extended diplomatic and military support to Rwanda's hardline Hutu government between 1990 and 1994.

France has also been accused of allowing perpetrators of the genocide to escape when it launched a operation in south-western Rwanda in June 1994.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3525970.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

“The current Rwandan government, which took over after the genocide, argues that Paris knowingly armed the killers and provided an escape route after their defeat.”

Surprisingly enough the Hutus were armed with Eastern bloc weapons from Russia, the CIS and Warsaw Pact nations. I have seen plenty of footage of Hutu groups and I saw few to none with MAT-49s, AA-52s, FAMAS G-1/2s or MAS-49/56s. I saw plenty with AK-47/T-56/AKMs and other such Russian built guns.

Hell Rwanda also flies around Mi-24Ds…
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Don't know how they can blame France when the weapon of choice was the machete which was local made.

Comment

Thats true.
        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

The ones trying to help, are allmost allways the ones to get the blame.
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
          X