Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing The Stars and Stripes

What do you think?
    Do we, as Americans, "overwear" the flag? Should it not be used on clothing (as pins or other)?

Hmmm. I never thought about it before. I have an awful lot of clothes I would have to get rid of.

There's a silent little war going on in this country. It's between people who wear the American flag in their buttonhole and people who do not.

Every night on the evening news, you see people - politicians mostly - being interviewed or giving speeches wearing a little metal American flag. Are they suggesting they love America more than I do?

If a politician running for office has an opponent who wears a flag, he usually thinks he has to wear one too. He's afraid people might say he isn't as patriotic as his opponent is.

President Bush always wears an American flag. Would we think he was un-American if he didn't? His father wore one sometimes, didn’t wear one other times.

I think politicians wearing the American flag are a fairly new phenomenon. Politicians weren't wearing them as much just a few years ago not as much as they are now.

President Bush didn't wear one when he was governor of Texas. I don't remember seeing Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy or Dwight Eisenhower wearing one. We did come across a picture of Nixon in the 70’s wearing a flag. Maybe he started it.

I've always wondered if a politician, who wears a flag when the cameras are rolling, wears one on Saturdays when he's home alone in his old clothes. Or is he only patriotic in public.

Women politicians don't seem to use the flag as decoration like men do - maybe that's because they have no good place to hang a flag. Or they don't want to put a hole in their dress with the pin.

I suppose it isn't a very popular opinion I have but I don't like to see a politician - or anyone else for that matter - wearing an American flag. Using the flag as decoration is demeaning to it as a symbol.

The American flag may be the best symbol ever designed. It's perfect. It represents our current 50 States and the 13 original colonies. It's both attractive and meaningful and it stands for who we are. That's a lot to ask of a piece of cloth and the American flag does it magnificently.

It should not be used as a bumper sticker.
    Wearing The Flag
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

I thought that the wearing of the American flag was more an eighties thing, you know, Reaganism and "my way or the highway" sort of thing.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I've always wondered if a politician, who wears a flag when the cameras are rolling, wears one on Saturdays when he's home alone in his old clothes. Or is he only patriotic in public.
      Of course you wear it in the public.

Who wears a full suit and tie at home?

Ask those women who like to wear nice clothes in the public if they wear those same thing at home.

It's a fashion statement. But it also says that one is not afraid to show his patriotism. He may not love this country more than me, but he's definitely not afraid to show it.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Ask those women who like to wear nice clothes in the public if they wear those same thing at home.
        Good Point.
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
          Good Point.
          I'm afraid I can't take credit for that thought.

A radio talk show host (Tom Leykis) came up with it in his "Leykis 101."
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Should not be allowed:

Should not be allowed:

Should be allowed:

Comment

I hate clothing that mimics the look of the U.S. flag. Blouses/shirts are huge offenders along with purses, pants, shoes and yes underwear - gasp. The flag belongs on a pole waving in the wind - not styled into something that can be worn as a fashion statement. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I think it is degrading to the flag to have it plastered on something that is considered clothing. It's just not respectful.

Far as pins are concerned - now that I feel is a different matter. For one thing, most are small, not in your face I've got this pin plastered all over my body - look how garish I can be. Pins are for the most part a bit more respectful looking. A small reminder of how powerful a symbol can be and that's why politicians wear them - but, you shouldn't wear a symbol that you aren't ready to defend either. US flag patches worn by those in the miliary service and community providers - I think are just fine as well. Positions of respect should have respect and along with that I figure the right to wear a US flag patch.
              Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Apart from the fact that all the pictures look equally awful, I think it should be the peoples flag. Let people do as they want. But please: ban the burqa !
                Last edited by SilleEllis; 21 Nov 06,, 03:00.

Comment

PS: Should also be banned:

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                    I hate clothing that mimics the look of the U.S. flag. Blouses/shirts are huge offenders along with purses, pants, shoes and yes underwear - gasp. The flag belongs on a pole waving in the wind - not styled into something that can be worn as a fashion statement. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I think it is degrading to the flag to have it plastered on something that is considered clothing. It's just not respectful.

Far as pins are concerned - now that I feel is a different matter. For one thing, most are small, not in your face I've got this pin plastered all over my body - look how garish I can be. Pins are for the most part a bit more respectful looking. A small reminder of how powerful a symbol can be and that's why politicians wear them - but, you shouldn't wear a symbol that you aren't ready to defend either. US flag patches worn by those in the miliary service and community providers - I think are just fine as well. Positions of respect should have respect and along with that I figure the right to wear a US flag patch.

Flag Code 36 U.S.C. 173-178

176. Respect for flag
                    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

Flag pins/patches

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

However, the Flag code is just a guideline, to be used when other rules do not apply. There are no penalties for misuse of the US Flag. That was left up to the States. All federal penalties previously stated in title 18 have been found unconstitutional.

Comment

It is too late. It is the peoples flag now. That can't be changed.

Comment

Working...
                      X