How I Met Your Mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Met Your Mother

Apparently this is a show that is on TV. I have never heard of it. But here it is anyway.

I ask though, because I like to hear these kinds of stories (without graphic details)...

How did you meet your significant other?

Humor me, people, it's the holidays. :)

Oh, yeah....heres the thing about the show...not too interesting, but since I mentioned it, I may as well link it.
    You meet someone, you date a while, things get serious, and then suddenly you realize there are secrets to this person who shares your bed, secrets that you're desperate to discover. It's a simple enough problem, but the Nov. 20 episode of the CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother has given it a wickedly funny twist for the YouTube age.

But let's pretend for a quick second that you're not completely familiar with How I Met... (and given the show's average of 9.6 million viewers per week, that may be quite likely). The title kinda explains it all: We watch the journey of aspiring architect Ted Mosby (Josh Radnor) as he navigates the dating scene in search of his wife — whom we know he will at some point discover since the show is told in flashback from the future (ergo, the title). Ted's been dating his current squeeze, aspiring TV journalist Robin Scherbatsky (Cobie Smulders), on and off since the series' premiere in 2005, but it's not until she bizarrely refuses to go to the mall that he and his buddies Marshall (Jason Segel) and Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) grasp that Robin is holding fast to some deep secret from her past, a secret she won't even share with Ted, a secret that Barney discovers on that pesky Internet.

''We knew [Robin] was from Canada,'' explains Mother co-creator and co-showrunner Craig Thomas, ''and we also [thought] that in 2006, there's an embarrassing piece of footage for everybody. We stumbled upon the idea that what if [Robin] was Alanis Morissette if Alanis Morissette's career had ended [during her] Canadian teen pop phase?''

It's indeed a secret so diabolically perfect, it took just a few hours (and a few beers) for Thomas and the other co-creator and showrunner Carter Bays to crank out ''Let's Go to the Mall,'' the single that transformed Robin at 16 into Canadian pop teen star Robin Sparkles. After getting a behind-the-scenes look last month at the shooting of the incriminating music video, we can report that both the song and the video are so dead-on '80s bubblegum pre-fab pop, it's — well, it's a little scary.

In fact, before we give you an exclusive first look at that video, a word of warning: ''The song has turned out to be much catchier than we were prepared for,'' says Thomas, ''but in this very specific way where people are angry at us for writing it.'' And if you're already realizing something not quite adding up math-wise, don't worry, Robin was supposed to have shot the video back in 1993, since, as Thomas points out, ''the '80s actually didn't make it up to Canada until 1993.''
    http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1...||0_0_,00.html
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Short version, we were class mates .
    Long version,
    I did my Bachelors degree in Bangalore (Silicon Valley of India, Posh, happening city of India) enjoyed all 4 years of my studies..a bit too much lets say. Got really tired of the life style. Decided to take life bit seriously at the tail end of 4 years. Studied really hard (relatively speaking) cleared GATE (all india level Competitive exam for post graduate studies) was in the TOP 10 bracket so I could choose any university of my liking. I picked one in State of Bihar (Birla Institute of Technology), no I was not drunk or stoned when I picked it, just wanted to be as far as possible from Bangalore (Its like moving from NewYork to some obscure village in Arizona). Met my future wife in BIT, fell in love, 16 months later proposed to her, got married 2 years later and its more than 10 years now. ;) .

Sorry to bore you guys.

Comment

Nice story Kams...
      When you said Top ten..you mean like..you were in the top 10???
      BITs Ranchi....?
      you must be damn good at studies man!!!:)
      "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
      And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
      For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

I had a date with a pickled sheep brain earlier this night, does that count?
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
          I had a date with a pickled sheep brain earlier this night, does that count?
          Depends. Did it come from your significant other?

No. Wait. I don't want to know.

"To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I saw it once or twice when it first came on last year.

It sucks, haven't watched it since. I don't have a "significant" other, so nothing much to tell there.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post

It sucks, haven't watched it since.
              Last year? And it's just now making the news. Wow. It must suck. Even Barbie makes the news faster than that.

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
                Depends. Did it come from your significant other?

No. Wait. I don't want to know.

Mwuhahahahaha!! :evil grin:
                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

It sucks, haven't watched it since. I don't have a "significant" other, so nothing much to tell there.
                  Dont worry Snipe, your not alone

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                    Dont worry Snipe, your not alone
                    Yeah..you got many of us here...
                    And to top it all,
                    there was this girl who I really like and would've asked her out if I'd have known she too liked me...

She told me that today..after four goddamned years
                    "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
                    And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
                    For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

I believe you have mentioned a cute little latina on a few occasion
                      (and I am assuming you have not been meaning me *batting of eyelashes*)...she is not significant enough?

;)

Comment

Lay Sisters/Wife #2

We met at a mission near the Swaziland border. She was one of a group of missionaries of all differing denominations. So that basically meant the place was full of good looking single women. That was definitely the place for a young single Corporal to be!

So it was no surprise that every time there was an open spot in the training or duty schedule Corporal Clark and I went on a "welfare check" to the mission. It got to be a joke in our unit as we were over there so often. It didn't help that the young ladies were referred to as "Lay Sisters"!
                        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                        X