Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPD vs. RPK

RDP vs. RPK

Two 7.62mm light machine guns/squad automatic weapons both made by the Russians during the Cold War. Both are widely exported and in service all around the world. The RPK replaced the RPD in service due to is commonality with the AK-47 family. The RPD uses a 100 round drum normally but some people used a canvas bag with 125 rounds and the RPK uses a 40 round magazine or a 75 round drum. Neither can change the barrels making neither terribly suited for sustaining fire. The RPD can sustain about 100 rounds a minute.

Which one do members think is the better LMG/SAW? I'm leaving off the RPK-74...
    Attached Files
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Some say that by replacing RPD with RPK the soviet army took a huge step but it was backwards
    I dont know much about RPD but it has something to do with Degtrayev light machine gun right?. about RPK then, I think a SAW should be belt feed like M249 alhtough I dont know if M249 has a quick removable barrel but anyway.

Comment

About that guy with rockets in lower picture, he's really nice target for snipers No seriosly, if a bullet hits one of those rockets would that dude go like BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Fury
        About that guy with rockets in lower picture, he's really nice target for snipers No seriosly, if a bullet hits one of those rockets would that dude go like BOOM!

Not necessarily.

Comment

No, the HE content would likely not detonate, nor would the rocket motor ignite probably, even if hit with a tracer(which actually suck for starting fires).

RPD was a good weapon. Don't think i ever shot an RPK.

Comment

I was leaning the RPD.

It always looked to be as more a “real” machine gun compared the RPK, which looked more just a long barreled AK-47 similar to the SA-80 and LSW.

Plus other then over heating barrels if firing more then 100 rounds a minute (the RPK has no barrel change either) I have not heard anything really wrong with the RPD that warranted a replacement in the first place.
            To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by troung
              Plus other then over heating barrels if firing more then 100 rounds a minute (the RPK has no barrel change either) I have not heard anything really wrong with the RPD that warranted a replacement in the first place.
              Mainly because the Ministry of Defence wanted to standarnize most equipment to go with the AK series.

Comment

I really like the current 74M, gorgeous...
                Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble

Comment

I think the RPK falls somewhere between assault rifle and machinegun, its quite light for a SAW but heavy for an assault rifle. I would choose RPD over RPK anyday, the RPK is not good enough for its intended mission and how about RPD rechambered to 5.45mm or 5.56mm.

Comment

That's why there's a PKM...Isn't that more powerful?
                    Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble

Comment

Originally posted by Sinfulcurves_AK
                      That's why there's a PKM...Isn't that more powerful?
                      Yep, that's true, PKM beats both of those weapons 10-0 and if anyone knows about it its me but still I don't get the idea of RPK, why do russians use it when PK is much more powerful in terms of sustained fire and effective range, PK is no doubt a clumsy and heavy weapon and can only be fired from bibod and quickly opening fire isn't possible atleast not officially, you can always shoot in rambo style unofficially but don't expect to hit anything specific.

Comment

Uhmm -- I don't see many russians using the RPK, if they do, it's just for showing off/posing style. In most of the russian pics I've seen in recent conflicts, they're packing PKM's.

Comment

Working...
                        X