Need help with computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with computer

Ok, I've got a Sony Vaio model# pcg-5c5p (can't even find a mention of it on the net except one site in spanish) and I'm trying to put in more ram. Most laptops have the removable panel on the bottom, this does not and as far as I can see I need to remove the keyboard but can't see how. Anyone?
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

You have to find the keyboard screw, they vary in location.

Try here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/189/1
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Disclaimer : I got this from google groups, so it *may or may not be* accurate

------------------------------------
      Underneath the unit, the is one screw right in the center, remove it

At the front of the keyboard, on the left & right find two tabs below the
      ctrl keys, and push them towards the front of the unit, the

keyboard pops up, there is no need to remove the connecting cable, but you
      should see the RAM on the left.

*also can you post a picture of your laptop's underneath??
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

All modern laptops have removable panels in the back for you to add memory. I'm surprised this Sony doesn't. How old is it?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          All modern laptops have removable panels in the back for you to add memory. I'm surprised this Sony doesn't. How old is it?
          Yeah, but in those days, in some of the models you would have to remove the damn keyboard to access the memory bay, i think this should be a late 2002 model.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            Bout 3 years, so 2003?. I got given it with some other equipment I ordered at work.
            Nice wee laptop but only 256k ram, the techs at work tossed me another 1g and said "it's easy to install" and I'm damned if I'm going to front up on monday and say I couldn't do it.
            Here's the bottom of the unit as requested, no panel, I've removed one very long screw from the bottom which'll be the one you're refering to Highsea and I'll give the tab thing a go Jay once the billy lids are in bed tonight. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I get on.

Leibniz

Comment

LOL, as you can see from the previous photo I'd removed a lot of screws in the hope something obvious would happen, but in fact just the one screw and Jays tab trick and there it was, all in all 2 min work when I knew what I was doing. Cheers guys:)

Leibniz

Comment

When in doubt, remove all screws.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

^^^and if that doesn't work, the time-honored technique of sticking a butter knife in there and jiggling it around usually gets results...
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                    ^^^and if that doesn't work, the time-honored technique of sticking a butter knife in there and jiggling it around usually gets results...
                    Damn, and I thought it was me that invented that one.

Downside: when I put the extra ram in the computer wouldn't start up.

Upside: I got to tell the techs they'd given me the wrong card AND show them how to remove the keyboard

Leibniz

Comment

Lol. Maybe next time you should try sticking the butter knife in the tech...

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                        Lol. Maybe next time you should try sticking the butter knife in the tech...
                        I foresee a future in management for you;)

Leibniz

Comment

You turned every screw in your computer to install a wrong memory type, bah

Comment

Working...
                          X