X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICJ and UN condoned terror

PM: ICJ's ruling sends message to encourage terror
    Yaakov Katz Jul. 11, 2004

After seven months of relative quiet in Tel Aviv, terror struck the city on Sunday after a bomb hidden in bushes behind a bus stop near the old central bus station exploded, killing one female soldier and wounding 32 people.

The Aksa Brigades, the armed branch of Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat's Fatah organization, claimed responsibility for the attack, which occurred a mere two days after the International Court of Justice at The Hague ruled that the West Bank security fence was built illegally and must be dismantled. The Al Aksa Brigades said the attack was in retaliation to IDF action in the Gaza Strip.

"This says that we can reach every place, even when there is a fence," an Al-Aksa spokesman in the West Bank city of Nablus said of the attack, which was the first within the Green Line since March, when two suicide bombers killed 10 Israelis in the Ashdod port.

Sgt. Ma'ayan Naim, 19, from Bat Yam, who was on her way to her base at Tel Hashomer, was identified as the victim in the bombing. She was laid to rest Sunday evening in Holon.

Of the wounded, five sustained moderate-to-serious injuries and the rest were lightly injured, with a majority released from hospital by Sunday evening. Hospital officials said that most of the injuries were caused by metal shards packed into, what was described by police, as "a slightly small explosive device."

The explosion took place at around 7 a.m. when the 26 Dan bus line pulled away from the station on Har Zion Boulevard in southern Tel Aviv. The bomb, which was hidden in bushes behind the bus station, exploded causing damage to the bus and a nearby apartment building. A gag order was slapped on the way the bomb, which was packed with ball bearings and bolts, was detonated, although initial findings raised the possibility that the device was set off by a cellphone or a remote control.

At the opening to Sunday's cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon linked the bombing to the ICJ's recent ruling on the West Bank security fence.

"The murderous act this morning is the first that occurred with the endorsement of the decision of the world court at The Hague," Sharon said. "The decision sends a destructive message to encourage the terror and denounces countries that are defending themselves against it."

Following the bombing the surrounding streets were sealed off and police began scouring the area in search of suspects who planted and detonated the bomb. Police helicopters were flying above the scene and officers searched for additional explosive devices.

"At first I thought it was a flat tire exploding," bus driver Eyal Gazit, who suffered injuries to the ribs and the leg, said. "Once I saw that all the bus windows were shattered I realized it was a bomb, and I drove away as fast as I could in order to get the passengers out of harms way."

Gazit said the attack will not take him off the road. "This could happen to anyone since it is something that is unexpected. Even people who were waiting at the bus stop were injured and they work in various jobs and aren't bus drivers," he said.

Tel Aviv police chief Cmdr. Yossi Sedbon said there were no pinpoint warnings of an imminent attack in the city. "There were no concrete warnings but of the Palestinian's intention to carry out attacks we know about for along time already and I am happy to say that we have successfully thwarted several attacks," he said.

Following the attack, Sedbon held consultations with senior district officers during which it was agreed that police would step up their presence in highly-frequented areas. Sedbon added that the fact that the bomb was planted in an open area and not inside a bus minimized the number of casualties.

"The quiet we have experienced lately is deceptive and Palestinian terrorists are looking for any way to get through and attack," Police chief Insp.-Gen. Shlomo Aharonishky said from the scene of the attack.

"I heard a very loud explosion. I looked left and saw a black cloud of smoke," an eyewitness told Israel Radio. "I knew straight away that it was a terror bombing. I stopped my car and dialed 100 [Police] on my cell phone. I ran as fast as I could to the wounded people, there were a lot of citizens who came rushing to help. There were soldiers too, and they took out their medical aid kits and started treating the wounded. I ran from one person to the other, bandaging them until the ambulances arrived."

The wounded were evacuated to hospitals within minutes of the attack, with 14 evacuated to Ichilov, 10 to Tel Hashomer and eight to Wolfson Hospital in Holon.

Sami Mcarah, an Israeli-Arab resident of Yaffo and the head of a non-profit-organization which works towards coexistence between Israelis and the Palestinians, got off the bus just seconds before the bomb went off.

"The terrorist did not intend to just hurt Jews, but he went out to kill as many people as possible. The Palestinians are stupid for what they're doing, they're not achieving anything and in the end they will only turn us Israeli Arabs against them," said Mcarah, who also survived the 1995 number 5 bus bombing on Dizengoff Street in Tel Aviv.

Wounded by shrapnel to his leg, Mcarah, rushed over to a woman he saw on the ground and tried to help her. He said he took her pulse but she was already dead. "The images in my head will never go away," he added.

The Tel-Aviv Stock Exchange registered a downturn after news of the attack, Army Radio reported.

Yaakov Katz contributed to this report

For pictures go here
    Last edited by bigross86; 12 Jul 04,, 08:01.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

WTF!!! This is sick. I have no doubt in my mind now that the UN has joined the ranks of terrorism, evil and facism.

Comment

I'm thinking of moving to Israel, at least they have the balls to ignore the "international community".

Comment

lol its not so much that Israel has more balls than anyone else, but that the "international community" will alter the laws of reality (hehe they dont subscribe to our idea of objective reality) to make Israel "wrong". You can't comply with a force that seeks your destruction. If any country faced as shabby treatment from the UN as Israel does, they would revolt too. As Israeli Finance Minister and former Prime Minister Netanyahu said in response to possible UN action based on the ICJ ruling: "They [the General Assembly] can decide anything there. They can say that the earth is flat. It won't make it legal, it won't make it true and it won't make it just."
        Last edited by ZFBoxcar; 12 Jul 04,, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar
          As Israeli Finance Minister and former Prime Minister Netanyahu said in response to possible UN action based on the ICJ ruling: "They [the General Assembly] can decide anything there. They can say that the earth is flat. It won't make it legal, it won't make it true and it won't make it just."
          Kudos to Ben, if there were only more like him

Comment

Why, thank you...
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The IJC has got some nerve, and since when did the UN give a damn about Isreal?!!! they outta tell them thanks for the support but screw off!
              Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Working...
              X