China, Future superpower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China, Future superpower

Whats everyones opinion on how long it would take for China to catch up to the US militarily if at all.
    Could it ever match the US in defense budgets: US @ $450 Bil., China @ $60-70 Bil. US budget to hit $1 Trillion by the end of the decade.
    Could China remain stable enough to challenge the US.
    Sorry if this seems a little simplistic but I didn't want to post a US versus China thread and these types of future developments interest me

Originally posted by nzkiwi
    Whats everyones opinion on how long it would take for China to catch up to the US militarily if at all.
    Could it ever match the US in defense budgets: US @ $450 Bil., China @ $60-70 Bil. US budget to hit $1 Trillion by the end of the decade.
    Sorry if this seems a little simplistic but I didn't want to post a US versus China thread and these types of future developments interest me
    Well according to an excel calculation I did, assuming they keep the GDP% defence spending constant, and stay keep their GDP growth around 10%, they will overtake $450 billion by 2025.

Comment

Have you accounted for the US also increasing their GDP or have you taken it to be constant?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I think China is gonna be the next Soviet Union for the US. I think in 10 years they should be close to the US but right now their not their thats why they wouldnt dare touch Taiwan right now.

Comment

Only if and when China get Rommulan warbirds and Klingon stormtroopers.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
            Only if and when China get Rommulan warbirds and Klingon stormtroopers.
            Lock disruptors on those capitalist pigs! (Funny, I can't say that without a bad russian accent.)
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

If China ever economicly overtakes us it would be because they turned to a more capitalist system then present. In which case we would have no reason to fight each other.

Comment

China recently added respect of private property to their constitution (or just law, I can't remeber which) which is an important (if only symbolic) step for a nominally communist country. Although ever since the reforms of 1979 began China stopped being communist and as a result, since 1981, China and India (India's capitalist reforms began in the 80s) togethor have pulled 400 million people out of poverty and their GDP is growing rapidly. I figure China will be an economic superpower by 2020 (following the Asian Tiger pattern of 40 years of non-stop rapid growth) and a military one by 2050, depending on just how important it is to them.

Comment

it will be very difficult for china to do so because usa has all thr resoursec of the world at its disposal.Chinese army still remains a regional obe whereas us army has global presense which costs more.

Comment

What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                      If China ever economicly overtakes us it would be because they turned to a more capitalist system then present. In which case we would have no reason to fight each other.
                      France and Germany were each other's biggest trading partner at the start of WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                        France and Germany were each other's biggest trading partner at the start of WWII.
                        Neither country was Capitalist;)

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                          Neither country was Capitalist;)
                          You're going to have explain that one to me.

Comment

Originally posted by nzkiwi
                            The only problem for China is its resources.If the country can feed its industry with sufficient resources to catch up the same level of consumption/person with US,no doubt it'll overtake US.After all it has the population four times bigger than US.

Comment

You're going to have explain that one to me.
                              I said that if China turns Capitalist, then we will be friends.

As a counter you gave an example of Nazi Germany and France, neither of which were even close to Capitalism.

Comment

Working...
                              X